Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Declining COL in retirement?...
Old 06-09-2005, 01:52 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re: rick ferri.* Not sure who he is.* I had a couple of good interns who produced research work for me.* Surprisingly it always turned out to say exactly what I wanted it to say.

Re: snakes.* Gee Mike, wish I knew we were talking about snakes.

Wanna see my 1040's and my american express bills from that year?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2005, 02:16 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
. . . wish I knew we were talking about snakes.

Wanna see my 1040's and my american express bills from that year?
Wanna see my snake?

Old 06-09-2005, 06:10 AM   #23

TH,

Thanks for the inspiring story for those still cling on to a life style of extravagance. You have demonstrated that you can have a happy life without the extravagance.

Spanky
Old 06-09-2005, 06:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Does that mean your kids are paying all your expenses out of their grateful appreciation for bringing them into this world? No doubt that makes the sleep deprivation seem so worthwhile.
Nords,

I have no expectation that my kids will follow the Asian tradition of taking care of the elders (or aging parents). It is one of those things that I must accept as societal value changes. My plan is to ensure that we save enough for the future so that you do not have to rely on the kids or the government financially. I do hope that they will visit us periodically.

Spanky
Old 06-09-2005, 06:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Re: rick ferri. Not sure who he is.
Rick Ferri is a CFA. He is also an author of personal finance books.

Quote:
I had a couple of good interns who produced research work for me. Surprisingly it always turned out to say exactly what I wanted it to say.
Consultants hired by corporate CEOs produce compensation report for executives do the same thing.

Spanky
Old 06-09-2005, 07:11 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb

I hope the final report breaks out an estimate of CPI for retirees footing the bill for their health coverage.

Cb
If it does, can you let us know? I would be interested in reading.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:37 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Nords,
I have no expectation that my kids will follow the Asian tradition of taking care of the elders (or aging parents). It is one of those things that I must accept as societal value changes. My plan is to ensure that we save enough for the future so that you do not have to rely on the kids or the government financially. I do hope that they will visit us periodically. Spanky
Well, if you're not planning to support their college aspirations, those are good expectations!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:41 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Re: rick ferri.* Not sure who he is.* I had a couple of good interns who produced research work for me.* Surprisingly it always turned out to say exactly what I wanted it to say.
He posts to the cult at Vanguard Diehards (I know, redundant). He's written a few books and he works at a financial-advisory firm that specializes in a low-cost index approach with a clear, easily understood plan. Since he's one of the last few financial authors/professionals who has the liability insurance cojones to offer financial advice on a discussion board, he's pretty popular with the "review my portfolio, please!" crowd.

Publishing this study at VD will invoke a huge food fight as the retirees compare their costs. But of course it won't be anywhere as erudite and refined as this board's debates...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:57 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Thanks for the inspiring story for those still cling on to a life style of extravagance. You have demonstrated that you can have a happy life without the extravagance.
Dont get me wrong. Theres something magical about hiring a limo every saturday night to take you and a few of your friends clubbing, stopping by the sushi bar and ordering everything on the menu, and then taking the limo up to Tahoe for a little late night gambling. Or having your ladyfriend peruse three pairs of $500 shoes at Nordstroms and have her not be able to decide which one she likes best and telling her to get all three.

But if I have to work 60 hours a week for that pleasure, I'll pass...

No SG, I do not want to see your snake. Not under any circumstances. What are you? Ed? How come all these guys on this forum want to show me their dang snakes? Is it that 5:1 male:female ratio thing? Whaaaa?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
. . .No SG, I do not want to see your snake.* . . .
What about if my snake were wearing a pancake? I'll leave out reference to a snake spitting milk. That's over the line even for me.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:22 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

AAAARGH! LOL! I have a coworker staring at me now. :P
Old 06-09-2005, 02:47 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I thought of going there too, but declined. Thanks for filling in the gap.