Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I hold many individual stocks, and have been selling/buying them, so the definition of principal is not defined the same way as people who hold MF shares or some stocks and never sell them. If my stash in dollar amounts goes up despite my withdrawals, I am happy. I do not have a constant number of shares of anything to worry about having fewer shares. If anything, as I sell high-flying stocks to buy downtrodden ones, I tend to have more shares over time.

And speaking of withdrawals, it has been almost 5 years since my earned income stopped. And when I looked at what I have drawn out from my stash to live on, I could not help thinking how much more money I would have if I were still working, and did not have to withdraw.

Yes, switching from the accumulation mode to the distribution mode takes some getting used to.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I will RE NEXT WEEK! We have a modest pension, and interest, dividends, plus cap gains distributions will cover most but not all of our desired spending. When the account cash gets low, I will need to sell off a few shares of something. No problem. Our portfolio burn rate (WR) will only be about 1.5%. We plan to travel a good bit, and I am trying to decide if we should fly business class. We have the $, but for the cost of international business class, we could pay for another whole trip somewhere, so it seems a waste. Still, we have the $ . . . . . .
We haven't done this simply because the cost difference is so large, that we could fund several more weeks of staying in Europe by settling for economy plus instead of business class. We might use reward miles, but not all cash.

As we get older, we may choose to do otherwise, if our retirement portfolio seems high yet our travel years left looks like they're shrinking. Our neighbors do this - they are late 70s/early 80s, so I get that!

But until then there are always other things we can spend those considerable funds on.

Fortunately domestic first class has is often available for small upcharge at the last minute and/or you get a freebie now and then if you have status.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I retired 3 years ago, but have been doing a draw down for approximately 5 years due to part time work before I retired. So far I haven't been too worried about dipping into the stash.

2 reasons - like others, my portfolio value is at an all time high, and I've only been drawing from the cash portion of my portfolio.

That said, I'm having a problem pulling the trigger on buying a new truck. I'll probably finance it at a low rate and this payment would replace DW's car loan that I just paid off. Still I can't get over taking on debt in retirement.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #24

For me, the biggest difference has been having to maintain strategic and tactical plans for funds to use for spending. This simply wasn't a a requirement when I had a constant flow of funds coming in.

For instance, because for me at this point, everything is in a tax advantaged account, I need a strategy that dictates which accounts to pull from that will minimize taxes. i-orp provided me a starting point for that plan. On the tactical side, I have a cash-flow spreadsheet that has one column per month, and in each column is always the rough monthly burn rate, but I also have additional rows to include big stuff that's not in the normal budget (bonds coming due, cars being purchased, large tax refunds, etc). I simply do a "cash out re-balance" in December that should be all of the taxable income I need for the next calendar year (not in January because otherwise the non-optional withholding would be held for over 12 months!).
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
.....That said, I'm having a problem pulling the trigger on buying a new truck. I'll probably finance it at a low rate and this payment would replace DW's car loan that I just paid off. Still I can't get over taking on debt in retirement.
I had not had a car loan for 25 years until we bought in late 2015... I just couldn't resist 1.9% for 60 months so I did the loan and set up an autopay for the payments... easy peasy... doesn't bother me one bit. According to Quicken, from when I took the loan out until today our portfolio has earned 10.2% per annum, so it looks like a good decision so far.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:25 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

IMO you're good.
We're planning to eat into "capital" (over interest) in 2-3 years when my half-time online contract runs out and DW retires (I'm 58; DW is 54). The SWR then will be 5.5-6% but only until I reach full retirement age/SS, when it will decrease to 3.5-4% and then lower when DW hits full retirement age. I can claim SS early in the event of a huge market event.
I'm planning to draw a similar amount 80-90k but off a current portfolio of 1.9 million.

And see pb4uski's post above on your SWR for explanation.
I'm skating on far thinner ice, but it seems fine, since we can cut back considerably if needed. (DW just paid off the remaining--rather small--housenote since a 3.25% return seems better than .1% in savings and there is still considerable savings/cash.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_Scarlet View Post
I'm not sure if decumulate is a word or if there's another word I should use!

Anyway, I am interested to know if there are early retirees who are consciously planning to eat into their capital or who are already eating into their capital. Does that make you feel nervous? How have you set your portfolio up to deal with that?

Our situation is that we are early 50's (52 & 54) and about to stop work (three months). We will have around $2.5 million of invest-able funds and once we hit 60 should have enough income from pension schemes to meet the vast majority of our needs. However, until then the savings are pretty much all we have.

I've set up the portfolio so that it should throw off around $50,000 per year in income (dividends and interest) which means are remaining expenses will need to be met from capital (we estimate our annual expenses around $80-90k per annum).

We will be keeping around $500k in cash or secured funds (i.e. 6 years) means the rest we will not need to touch.....

....but after year of saving it still makes me nervous to start digging into those hard earned pennies.

What's your setup and how do your deal with the psychology of spening your stash?
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Decumulation experiences
Old 03-23-2017, 06:09 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Decumulation experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I had not had a car loan for 25 years until we bought in late 2015... I just couldn't resist 1.9% for 60 months so I did the loan and set up an autopay for the payments... easy peasy... doesn't bother me one bit. According to Quicken, from when I took the loan out until today our portfolio has earned 10.2% per annum, so it looks like a good decision so far.

I had the same deal 1.9% 60 months. But I made the payments manually to embed the debt in my memory.

In my opinion, financing a car at a low rate should be more palatable for retirees than paying cash. Financing doesn't reduce net worth. Doesn't effect WR adversely if the payment is already budgeted.

And certainly makes sense if return on the portfolio exceeds the financing pct rate.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I had the same deal 1.9% 60 months. But I made the payments manually to embed the debt in my memory.

In my opinion, financing a car at a low rate should be more palatable for retirees than paying cash. Financing doesn't reduce net worth. Doesn't effect WR adversely if the payment is already budgeted.

And certainly makes sense if return on the portfolio exceeds the financing pct rate.
+1

18 months ago I financed a new car for 36 mos at 0.99%. So far the return on my portfolio has exceeded that rate nicely.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:40 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

18 months ago I financed a new car for 36 mos at 0.99%. So far the return on my portfolio has exceeded that rate nicely.
That's the deal I got in 2012. In retrospect, it was a great financial decision. But it was still nice to see the monthly payments come to an end.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
But it was still nice to see the monthly payments come to an end.
+1

Even though I know it was the right financial decision, I too am looking forward to paying it off. I don't like debt, not even 'good debt'.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_Scarlet View Post
I've struggled a little with this as well and concluded it just is not worth it. We will however fly premium which is slightly less than double the cost of coach and feels an acceptable trade!
We were upgraded to premium on the return of our last trip to Europe. It's pretty much what longhaul economy class should be.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:25 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
We plan to travel a good bit, and I am trying to decide if we should fly business class. We have the $, but for the cost of international business class, we could pay for another whole trip somewhere, so it seems a waste. Still, we have the $ . . . . . .
Look at premium economy. From the US to Europe it runs about double the price of a coach seat, but you get more room, better service, and on LOT I boarded with the business class ticket holders. Business class may still be worth it on flights to Asia, but for the 8 - 9 hour flights to the continent, premium economy is the way to go.
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Of course if you're paying with cash that's sitting in the average savings account you're not earning anywhere near that return, so to me it's better to pay cash than have the debt. Assuming you have a decent cash buffer from prior withdrawals like audrey does, or you've kept it out of the market for these type of expenses etc.

But at your finance rate it's not much of an issue. I just hate debt no matter what it is, and I wonder how we'd get a prime loan with no verifiable income other than my wife's PT work anyway (even with an 800+ FICO).
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post

But at your finance rate it's not much of an issue. I just hate debt no matter what it is, and I wonder how we'd get a prime loan with no verifiable income other than my wife's PT work anyway (even with an 800+ FICO).
Show them your portfolio of investments, tell them how much you pull from the portfolio each year to support your budget. Just because you aren't working anymore doesn't mean you aren't a good loan candidate. Start with your local bank or credit union just to get a feel for their process.

- Rita
Old 03-31-2017, 08:21 AM   #35

I'm in the total return camp and retired less than 6 months ago at age 56. Thought I would be more nervous about spending but have not been. I'm sure the positive market performance has helped. I have been monitoring our spending and so far it's been right where I expected even though we aren't consciously managing to a budget. I expected our spending to increase by about 10% overall vs pre FIRE due to higher healthcare, travel, and entertainment partly offset by lower gas and car-related costs, dry cleaning, and clothing. So far, so good!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:24 AM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Started taking 401k withdrawals in 1999, after ending employment with the company, at age 46 at a rate of 56k per year with a balance of 800k (I know, young and aggressive). Amazingly after 17 years of withdrawals 56k x 17yrs = $952,000, the 401k now has a balance of 1.6 million. Truly amazing when you think about it.
Hdhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
I'm also in the total return camp, 60/40 asset allocation almost all invested at Vanguard in a few index funds. I was pretty scared in late 2015 despite all indications of success being in place. I told my mother I had created a budget and intended to live by it. She advised I be less controlling of our household expenses. Relax and be happy. It was great advice. We spent a little more than I had planned but it was a very happy year. Portfolio at 1/1/17 was 100.32% of 1/1/16. For 2017 I decided to focus on a withdrawal plan rather than a budget. What I found is that I could spend down my current portfolio by $300,000 and still be fine at age 70 when I plan to take SS and will probably inherit a private REIT. Despite that I don't think I'll need to take more than 5% of portfolio assets for the next 8 years. In 2016 I took 3.9%. This year, 2017, 4.4%. Relax. Be happy. Good advice.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:33 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired Oct 2012 at 51 and 54 with almost 5 years of expenses in cash. It was hard to switch from taking out savings instead of adding but our investments and our net investible assets and cash are 24% higher than when we retired. We used cash the first 1.5 years then have replenished cash each year selling investments when the investments hit a new all time high plus one years expenses approx. $70K here until we have topped back to 4.5 to 5 years expenses in cash. Example investments start at $1.7mil expenses $70K so when investments hit $1.770 Million I take $70K or less if cash bucket fills back up to 5 year level. Then New base is $1.770 mil plus $70K equals $1.84 mil and then cash out again and top of the cash tank. I believe the market should drive when to take cash not a calendar and with this kind of cushion it has worked so far. This way when market heads south we don't need to sell to pay bills. One thing I did was map out cash needs till 65 and where it would come from to minimize tax and maximize ACA Subsidy and efficient Roth conversions that help ease mindset of selling investments. Hope this helps.
Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote