Join Early Retirement Today

Deferred comp. what would you do
Old 04-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #1
gone traveling

Hi all. Good friend asked me for advice yesterday so thought I would query the smart minds here.

FIREd in very early 50's. Doesn't want to touch his main nest egg for 4-5 years. He claims he can access retirement accounts at age 55 penalty free based on his company retirement account setup - that's what he wants to do. Plan B would be a 72T at age 55. Anyway. His AA is 70/30 in those retirement funds (and about that overall excluding house worth 300k and a rental worth 150k). Total deferred retirement accounts are around 1.5M excluding his deferred comp. total NW around 2m.

So... He has a deferred compensation program that has 250k gross in it before tax. It is currently in a cash / short term account. It can be invested in funds similar to a 401k. Eg. Vanguard / Fidelity etc. About 20 options.

He claims it must be paid out by design in 4 annual installments in January each calendar year for the next 4 years, i.e., pays in 2017-2020.
So each year for next 4 years he will get Gross 62K at current level. Payout comes with 1099 and Triggers regular income, I used 30% for fed and 6% state taxes as they have a few small sources of income as well as dividends, interest and rental income.

Anyway, he wants to keep it all in cash for the next 4 years to mitigate risk - claims the amount in there is enough for next 4 years to avoid dipping into his retirement accounts. I felt that was very conservative and
I had suggested maybe he put half into the market since its a 4 year duration. Not exactly short term but not long term either.

What would you all suggest?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

correct - he can't control the timing of the payments due to IRC 409A rules

what's wrong with keeping it in a cash account?

Old 04-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Deferred comp plans can be tricky and often come with many options but also many restrictions, so I would double-check just to make sure he knows all of his options. Assuming he does, and with a 70/30 allocation for the rest of his assets, leaving his next 4 years' worth of income in cash strikes me as conservative, but not crazy.
What cash investment options does he have? Such plans often have a "fixed interest" option that produce very lucrative yields. For example, the deferred comp plan my megacorp has, currently provides fixed interest option at 3.5% which is obviously far above any other cash-equivalent yield you can get in the open market. Worth checking out - for me, that was a no-brainer.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
correct - he can't control the timing of the payments due to IRC 409A rules

what's wrong with keeping it in a cash account?

Nothing really wrong with staying in cash for the next 4 years.

Was just seeking opinions of what others might suggest. To me the cash option seemed too conservative. Loses ground to inflation. Etc etc.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Deferred comp plans can be tricky and often come with many options but also many restrictions, so I would double-check just to make sure he knows all of his options. Assuming he does, and with a 70/30 allocation for the rest of his assets, leaving his next 4 years' worth of income in cash strikes me as conservative, but not crazy.
What cash investment options does he have? Such plans often have a "fixed interest" option that produce very lucrative yields. For example, the deferred comp plan my megacorp has, currently provides fixed interest option at 3.5% which is obviously far above any other cash-equivalent yield you can get in the open market. Worth checking out - for me, that was a no-brainer.

The only cash option is a short term money market like option. Paying 0.25% at best. That's what caught my eye when we looked at his paper work and online.

Other investment options are target date funds, a few vanguard funds such as institutional index and total USA bond funds, a gold fund and a couple mid cap and international funds. Choices are ok but some are a bit high in expense ratio though.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like his plan to take 4 equal cash payments. Why take market risk at that juncture? You want to avoid that or risk going back to w*rk.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum