Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Should I defer property taxes?
Yes 7 18.92%
No 30 81.08%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:05 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Last question - are you planning to stay in this residence for a very long time?
Probably, but who knows?
But the money spent on property taxes would'nt buy much LCTI. I've already checked.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does Canada/BC let you deduct property tax from income? The USA does, along with most states, if they itemize. That's just a bit of a factor.

I still voted "no". Just doesn't seem to be worth it at that small amount.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #23
gone traveling

It appears everyone is consistent in this case (No).

But what if:

1. The annual taxes were high (say, $7K per year and likely to increase)
2. The annual percentage charged by the state to defer was high
3. You do not plan on selling nor leaving an estate

A home with $7000 a year annual taxes in Texas (appraised value of $250,000 or so) deferred at 8% a year over 25 years (age 65-90) would be a tax bill due of no less than $600K.

Would your answer change? At first glance, it appears under those conditions the higher the state's greed, the higher the risk to the state.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #24

I also voted no, with the caveat that there isn't enough information to make a decision here.

To me it's just the issue of an ever-increasing debt that will be an unknown quantity, and the principle that "if you can't afford the taxes you can't afford the house". That and deferring maintenance gets a lot of people into trouble.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

If you could attain a safe rate of return above 2% I would defer the payment and instead each year "pretend" to make the payment into that safe investment (with return above 2%) and consider that I am making an investment with that money that is giving me at least a 100% higher return than what it would otherwise be saving me if I paid the tax each year --- This way of course the $$ is all there should you decide to sell, etc

I know the amounts are small and that is the only reason I might decide to just go ahead and pay it but logically just extrapilate it out and talk in millions instead of thousands ....

If the tax payment was $1.67 mil a year then the 1% interest charged to defer is $16,700 BUT because you had a safe investment that would return +2% then you would make at least $33,400 by deferring it -- well of course it would seem very clear to me at that point to defer, yes?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since there is no "it depends" option in your poll, I voted in favor of deferring property taxes. You would be paying only 1% interest on the deferred payments, so to me the critical issue is whether you can get more than 1% on the amount you are deferring. Even in today's ultra low interest rate environment, there are a few federally insured investments that yield over 1% with no risk of loss of principal.

If I were doing this, I would include in my balance sheet two new items - one for the the amount of the deferred tax debt and the other for the offsetting investment. When and if the investment starts yielding less than the interest rate on the debt, I would pay it off and walk away with an anticipated small profit.

Naturally there are complicating factors, such as tax considerations, that may sway the advantage in favor of paying the property taxes immediately. I would run various scenarios in a spreadsheet and see which one left me in the best financial position.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by militaryman View Post

I know the amounts are small and that is the only reason I might decide to just go ahead and pay it but logically just extrapilate it out and talk in millions instead of thousands ....

If the tax payment was $1.67 mil a year then the 1% interest charged to defer is $167,000 BUT because you had a safe investment that would return +2% then you would make at least $334,000 by deferring it -- well of course it would seem very clear to me at that point to defer, yes?
I wish my CDs would use this math !!!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky View Post
I wish my CDs would use this math !!!
ok, but same idea holds true -- dropped the extra zero

If the tax payment was $1.67 mil a year then the 1% interest charged to defer is $16,700 BUT because you had a safe investment that would return +2% then you would make at least $33,400 by deferring it -- well of course it would seem very clear to me at that point to defer, yes?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I voted yes because the situation looks similar to mine and I would take the option. I will be trying to stretch my taxable account to last from RE to age 70 when SS and RMD start. No property tax payment for that stretch would help a lot. Once SS and RMD's start, there should be plenty of income to pay those old tax bills.

What I might have spent on property taxes in this stretch could cover the income taxes on more Roth conversions. In my case, I will try to convert all I can within the 15% bracket to avoid the 25% bracket later when RMD's start.

This might not be viable if you have any idea that you might need a reverse mortgage down the road to cover expenses.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The poll is now closed and 81% of respondents voted No. Having read everyone's response and considered the logic behind it, I found the discussion very helpful. I have decided that the magnitude of the benefit is outweighed by the long term risk, and the fact that I would effectively have a lien on my property. I'll pay the property taxes, dammit!

Mods, please close the thread to further posts as I think it has served its purpose. Thanks to everyone who gave the benefit of their experience.