Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Defined Benefit Plan impact on RE
Old 01-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have 3 DBs.

Mine with the military/reserves (COLA) started last year and I use it to fund the Roth IRA for me and DW. The rest goes into a MMF to pay for this and that. It is probably enough to live off of if we needed to and really scrimped.*

My 2nd DB is not COLA and I will phase it in in a few years when DW decides that she is fed up with the local school system, until then it continues to grow if I don't touch it.

DW has a BD plan with the school system.

When all 3 DB plans are cranking along, along with our two SS checks, we will have an income stream that is well over 100% of our expenses.

What the heck are we going to do with the IRA, 401k, 403b, Roth and taxable money*

Oh damn...more decisions.

Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am 47 and will be retiring in a few years.

Expected income :

85% IRA (rollover of job 401ks), all in income producing stocks,
using 72t withdrawals
15% Regular Stock account dividends

learn, work, save, invest, fire
CyclingInvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:45 PM   #23

DW and I each have two DBPs we are vested in. We also have some social security benefits we've earned. We've planned our retirement so that we can do fine without any of them.

But if they are actually available, then I've looked at them under two conditions:

1) we take benefits from all of them as soon as possible. This means I can start collecting my pensions in 4 years at age 55. DW is one year younger and can start collecting the following year. Combined, the pensions could cover about 1/3 of our total spending requirements when they first kick in. That would diminish (no COLA) till I reached age 62 when I could collect social security with DW collecting the following year. With all pensions and ss, we would get almost 50% of our spending requirements from these annuities. That percentage would drop gradually since the pension portion is not COLAed.

2) we wait till all pensions reach full benefit levels and take social security at age 67. Since two of our pensions reach full benefit levels at age 62 and two at age 66, this staggers the ramp-up and DW's first payment of one pension overlaps with my first ss payment. At the end of the total ramp-up period, the annuities would be paying for almost 75% or our total spending.

I've assumed 3.5% annual inflation for all these calculations.

sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:55 AM   #24

No DB's here.

25% 401(k)
65% Invested Savings
10% Buried in the back yard under the dog house

In a panamax down by the river.
BUM is offline   Reply With Quote