Join Early Retirement Today

Defined Contribution--Personal IRA
Old 03-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Defined Contribution--Personal IRA

My wife worked for local govt. She paid into her defined benefit plan and defined contribution plan.

Is she allowed to also have her own personal IRA too? She tells me "no" but I just don't know. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefixac View Post
My wife worked for local govt. She paid into her defined benefit plan and defined contribution plan.

Is she allowed to also have her own personal IRA too? She tells me "no" but I just don't know. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Having an IRA shouldn't be a problem as long as she has earned income. Remember there are income limits when it comes to contributing to a Roth IRA.
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERSonalTime View Post
Having an IRA shouldn't be a problem as long as she has earned income. Remember there are income limits when it comes to contributing to a Roth IRA.

There are income limits for the regular IRA, also. If memory serves those income limits are more limited than the Roth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
There are income limits for the regular IRA, also. If memory serves those income limits are more limited than the Roth.
Did you mean there are income limits regarding the deductibility of a TIRA?
Old 03-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Did you mean there are income limits regarding the deductibility of a TIRA?

Youbet, I guess I should make sure we are talking about the same thing. I was under impression OP was looking at the traditional IRA, which I think that is what you are referring to also. If you are covered by a pension system, you have income limits on ability to contribute. I was always over limit so I never could, but fortunately was under for the Roth.
A married couple has to be under 95k MAGI to get full deduction. As a single if you are over $59k you are phased out and at 69k MAGI you get no deduction.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #6

Thanks. OP here. Yes. I am referring to a traditional IRA.

So I take it she is eligible?
Old 03-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks. OP here. Yes. I am referring to a traditional IRA.

So I take it she is eligible?

Mike the way I understand it is this. Yes, she can provided you as a couple are under the income guidelines... Caveat...Is she still working or retired already? If she is retired she will have to earn income besides pension income to contribute to one. So she would have to get a job! I did this to continue my Roth contributions in retirement and may do it this summer also for this years contribution.

http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/...duction-Limits

Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #8

Thanks Mulligan.

Yes, she's retired but started her own business. She retired but is not drawing retirement yet.

Years ago I sold a house and during tax time my tax lady said I'm going to be taking a big hit with my taxes that year. I said "What for"? She said because you sold your house and you made a profit. I told her about selling house and not having to pay taxes on it, provided I lived in the house for 2 years and profit was under $250K. She said I was wrong. Lawyer wife said I was wrong too. What do I know, I'm just a repairman. Fortunately, accountant lady looked into it and found out I was right.

So again tax man and lawyer wife tell me she cannot have a traditional IRA. I think they're wrong. I'm hoping others would chime in and then give this thread for my wife to read.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:09 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks Mulligan.

Yes, she's retired but started her own business. She retired but is not drawing retirement yet.

Years ago I sold a house and during tax time my tax lady said I'm going to be taking a big hit with my taxes that year. I said "What for"? She said because you sold your house and you made a profit. I told her about selling house and not having to pay taxes on it, provided I lived in the house for 2 years and profit was under $250K. She said I was wrong. Lawyer wife said I was wrong too. What do I know, I'm just a repairman. Fortunately, accountant lady looked into it and found out I was right.

So again tax man and lawyer wife tell me she cannot have a traditional IRA. I think they're wrong. I'm hoping others would chime in and then give this thread for my wife to read.

There's no income limit regarding whether or not she can open a traditional IRA, but a limit is applicable when determining if that IRA is deductible or not. Also, there are income limits for a Roth IRA. Remember, she must have "earned" income in either case.
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:51 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Earned income does not have to be from a W2. It can be from your own business. So her earnings from her business count.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

sounds like she will be self employed ? You have more options then and different rules. You can have your own 401k

IRS link, Retirement Plans for Self-Employed People
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks Mulligan.

Rbmrtn gave you a great link to consider. Mike it is amazing how you think people know something and do not. In my state health insurance premiums are a tax write off. I had a friend retired for 4 years, and not once did his tax preparer ever give him that deduction. I have another friend whose tax accountant is giving him a college opportunity credit tax even though the state is paying the full tuition. I told him you better check that, and he called the man, and he said you could. That guy obviously isn't listening to the question as you can not get the credit for college expenses that you did not pay for. My friend thinks the guy knows what he is doing since he is "the expert".