Join Early Retirement Today

Defining Rich in America
Old 09-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Defining Rich in America

Interesting article in Rolling Stone:

Defining rich in America: What are the income cutoffs?
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Administrator

How about a snippet or summary so folks don't need to click on the link?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Best comment from a reader:

"Anyone who is wealthier than me is a sociopath who lies cheats and steals to get their ill-gotten gains. Anyone poorer than me is a lazy oaf who suckles at the teat of our bloated welfare state."

I gotta save that!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #4

Excerpts:

"The most basic way to do it: look at the income distribution and pick a cutoff. According to the World Top Incomes Database, a household income of about $113,000 lands you at the top 10th, while $394,000 makes you a bona fide member of the 1 percent. You could reasonably argue that anybody who earns above those thresholds is, in a sense, rich—or at least makes a relatively uncommon amount of money.

That’s why it’s better to think about the question of who’s rich in terms of accumulated wealth instead of annual income (which in turn is a good argument for a wealth tax). Your net worth will bobble around with the stock market and home prices, but compared with income, it’s a relatively stable marker of how financially set you really are. It also takes into account things such as inheritance that won’t show up on your W-2 each tax season. Estimates tend to vary depending on the source of data, but according to the Russell Sage Foundation, the top 10 percent of American households have a net worth of at least $763,000; the top 5 percent hover around $1.3 million. It’s safe to say that if an American is worth more than three-quarters of a million dollars, she’s at least sort of rich."
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Estimates tend to vary depending on the source of data, but according to the Russell Sage Foundation, the top 10 percent of American households have a net worth of at least $763,000; the top 5 percent hover around $1.3 million. It’s safe to say that if an American is worth more than three-quarters of a million dollars, she’s at least sort of rich."
If you're really defining rich you've got to count pensions in that too. There are plenty of people with pensions that create more cash flow than a $1.3 million portfolio will spin-off.
aim-high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
Excerpts:
Thanks
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #7

I think the author could have done a better job making his point clearer and finding supporting evidence. To me, it seems a little like link bait.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #8

Rich - persistent happiness, to live without worry or fear of not having a comfortable future

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"The most basic way to do it: look at the income distribution and pick a cutoff. According to the ... World Top Incomes Database, a household income of about $113,000 lands you at the top 10%, while $394,000 makes you a bona fide member of the 1 percent. You could reasonably argue that anybody who earns above those thresholds is, in a sense, rich—or at least makes a relatively uncommon amount of money.

That’s why it’s better to think about the question of who’s rich in terms of accumulated wealth instead of annual income (which in turn is a good argument for a wealth tax). ...
TRANSLATION: 'Hey, some of us ( the people this article is trying to attract) make around $113,000, and you sure can't pick on us - we ain't stinkin' rich! So we need another measurement - yeah, accumulated wealth sounds good - we don't have much of that, 'cause we spend it all on fancy cars, fancy vacations, fancy gym clubs, private schools, and the high COLA here. Go get that other guy/gal!'

Quote:
Your net worth will bobble around with the stock market and home prices, but compared with income, it’s a relatively stable marker of how financially set you really are.
How can I put this eloquently? Let's see- - how about, hmmmm "Bull Stuffing!". I've had my net worth change more in one month than my annual income (when I was working even).

Quote:
It also takes into account things such as inheritance ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim-high View Post
If you're really defining rich you've got to count pensions in that too. There are plenty of people with pensions that create more cash flow than a $1.3 million portfolio will spin-off.
No! That will hit too close to home for comfort for some of their constituents! Pay no attention to that fully COLA'd pension behind the curtain, or any other retirement benefits! Those people are not 'rich', they want to point to those other 'rich' people!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I think you have two chances to put something eloquently.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
TRANSLATION: 'Hey, some of us ( the people this article is trying to attract) make around $113,000, and you sure can't pick on us - we ain't stinkin' rich! So we need another measurement - yeah, accumulated wealth sounds good - we don't have much of that, 'cause we spend it all on fancy cars, fancy vacations, fancy gym clubs, private schools, and the high COLA here. Go get that other guy/gal!'

How can I put this eloquently? Let's see- - how about, hmmmm "Bull Stuffing!". I've had my net worth change more in one month than my annual income (when I was working even).

No! That will hit too close to home for comfort for some of their constituents! Pay no attention to that fully COLA'd pension behind the curtain, or any other retirement benefits! Those people are not 'rich', they want to point to those other 'rich' people!

-ERD50
+1000.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Excerpts:

" according to the Russell Sage Foundation, the top 10 percent of American households have a net worth of at least $763,000; the top 5 percent hover around $1.3 million. It’s safe to say that if an American is worth more than three-quarters of a million dollars, she’s at least sort of rich."
I'm very well above these numbers and I really don't feel sort of rich. Comfortable, but not rich.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #13

If I were 33 with 1.3 million and a decent income, I'd feel pretty well off. At 53 with substantially more and little human capital, not nearly so much.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #14

To think that only 10% of American households have a net worth of $763,000 is scary. Heck I had that much by my mid 40's and I never made over $100,000.

Sure would be hard to retire to the good life on an SWR of 4% on that amount.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
To think that only 10% of American households have a net worth of $763,000 is scary. Heck I had that much by my mid 40's and I never made over $100,000.

I know- one if my HS classmates on FaceBook posted when she bought an IPad and and posted again with questions about her iPhone, but once referred to their "meager savings" when complaining about their out-of-pocket medical costs. She's a nurse, my age (61) and retired. Ummm, maybe she retired a little too early?
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #16

Quote:

Two midlevel SS benefits say $25k each (H+W)= $50 K + $25K from that NW and bingo the $75k that is supposed to be the gateway to happiness... easy
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Am I actually supposed to care what other people have?
If I feel that I have enough for me and my family, well isn't that enough?
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:50 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post
Am I actually supposed to care what other people have?
If I feel that I have enough for me and my family, well isn't that enough?

Nope. It's all emotional not pragmatic. Therefore all that really makes one feel good is yourself relative to other people.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Turboslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

+1 to ERD's comments. Although I still think we should have a reasonable inheritance tax (one that would effect me) - once we solve the pesky family farm thing.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:51 AM   #20

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing. I just hit the $1M mark in investable assets last month, so I'm already in the top 10%? Just doesn't seem possible. Maybe I'm just selling myself short, but I'm figuring that heck, if I can do it this easily (not that it was always easy though), I'm sure plenty of others could as well. And if it only takes $1.3M to get into the top 5%? Well, I'm in striking distance of that, and could conceivably hit it in another couple years.

But, like ejman pointed out, have that be a couple, throw in Social security benefits, possibly a small pension here and there, and the picture is a little rosier.

Plus, I guess you have to consider that figure counts ALL households. It's a safe bet that very, very few earners in their 20's, 30's, and even 40's have much, if anything saved up. A lot of those people probably even have negative net worths, as they're trying to pay off student debt, underwater mortgages, etc. My guess is that it would be weighted more towards people in their 50's and 60's, but by the time you get into the 70's and beyond, you have more people who get pensions, so they never had to save up as much. Or, for those who did save up, they're starting to spend it down.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote