Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Deflation ?
Old 09-08-2006, 08:25 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Actually, loan quality is uniformly good and defaults are well below historical averages. Can't say how long that will persist, though...
I admit I have been skimming the housing bubble blogs, which focus on the scary news. They report that early defaults are on the rise (like, people who never manage to even make the first payment), and that 90% of "stated income" loans turned out to overstate true income. On the other hand, banks have been selling off these loans more than they did in the past, so someone else (who? bond funds?) ends up holding the bag.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
I admit I have been skimming the housing bubble blogs, which focus on the scary news.* They report that early defaults are on the rise (like, people who never manage to even make the first payment), and that 90% of "stated income" loans turned out to overstate true income.* On the other hand, banks have been selling off these loans more than they did in the past, so someone else (who?* bond funds?) ends up holding the bag.*
Sure, stated income and subprime loans are starting to show some stress, but anything conforming and most prime jumbo mortgages are just fine.

As for who has the risk: banks have some. Mortgage REITs have a chunk. Bond funds, pension funds, life insurers, etc. have some. Hedge funds have some. Mortgages are some of the most thoroughly carved up assets in the securitization markets, so I suspect that the risk has been really widely spread around so that almost everyone will feel the pain, but few will be hurt seriously. But it is hard to tell.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FYI: OECD is forecasting G7 growth at about 3%, ADB (asian development bank) is forecasting Asia growth at about 7% (both recent, Sept). while forecasts are only forecasts, these numbers certainly are not suggestive of any great reduction of aggregate demand on a global scale (nor is there any indication of such in any individual major economy). absent any substantial reduction of demand, deflation is not in the cards.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
FYI: OECD is forecasting G7 growth at about 3%, ADB (asian development bank) is forecasting Asia growth at about 7% (both recent, Sept). while forecasts are only forecasts, these numbers certainly are not suggestive of any great reduction of aggregate demand on a global scale (nor is there any indication of such in any individual major economy).* absent any substantial reduction of demand, deflation is not in the cards.
Well, heck, you'll never sell any books or newsletters with that attitude. And if you don't scare 'em, people might actually think they can manage their own money!

I suspect that the Federal Reserve can buy enough printing presses for the Treasury to keep ahead of deflation by a comfortable margin...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:58 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I suspect that the Federal Reserve can buy enough printing presses for the Treasury to keep ahead of deflation by a comfortable margin...
... no printing presses, but what we do have working in our favour is that they would be (rightfully) more concerned about deflation (if that seemed imminent) than inflation. recall that it was concern about possible deflation that kept monetary policy so "generous".*
Old 09-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Restaurants shave prices, plump menus

8/24/2006

By Bruce Horovitz, USA TODAY

Casual restaurants are no longer taking the national dining slump casually.

In the face of a meltdown in same-store sales and falling customer counts, some of the biggest names in casual dining from Outback Steakhouse to Applebee's to T.G.I. Friday's are taking serious actions to try to salvage 2006. Some are even chopping prices.

Excluding the weeks after 9/11, this is the toughest period the industry has faced in nearly a decade, says Richard Snead, CEO of Carlson Restaurants Worldwide, which owns Friday's.

"This is unprecedented," concurs Paul Avery, COO of OSI Restaurant Partners (OSI), whose brands include Outback. Beginning in November, Outback plans to cut prices across its menu, he says.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...-actions_x.htm