Delaying ER until Kids Complete College?

JustNtime

Recycles dryer sheets
I did delay my ER until 2 out of 3 had their bachelors. In retrospect, I could have probably retired several years earlier, but it felt risky at the time. I noticed a number of other folks seem to plan to delay retirement until the kids are college graduates. I think they're are a number of strategies which would make it easier to ER while(even before) kids are in college. It could even help qualify for additional grants and loans. Some suggestions for minimizing family contribution calculation which determines 'financial need':

Avoid saving in child's name
Payoff home mortgage (other loans) with non-retirement account savings
Maximize savings in retirement accounts - minimize regular savings
Make necessary major purchases prior to financial aid calcuations
Pay college expenses from regular savings until depleted then consider HELOC/etc if required
Use all available no interest money (student loans) and free money (grants) (perhaps a friendly contest between siblings to see who can qualify for the most or minimize their college costs - good luck it didn't work too well for me)

Other thoughts?

I simply held the college funds in cash, starting in 2007. Smart move! It had only a small impact on projected performance, since it was going to be spent in about 6 years in the case of my two kids. And, it was safe from the downturn, which is why it was cash in the first place. So no big worries.

However, it is now all back in equities, other than next year's living expenses. Couldn't resist the market dip. So far, so good. We'll have to see how 2010 goes.

I'm still at the grindstone and one reason is my two kids being in college. It just feels safer. No way we'll qualify for aid. I want to help them (but not pay for everything), and I'm in a new role at megacorp that is keeping me busy as well as challenged, so I'm ok with it for now. Three more years though, and I'll be on my way (it would take a lot to make me go beyond that, and it would have to include money but be much more than "just" money).

R

R

Other thoughts?

Make kids pay for college.

The NYTimes has had a running series about college admission nd financial aid with contributions from both admissions officers and financial aid officers. These folks have shown that they don't need to follow the FAFSA guidelines. If they see someone with a paid-off home, they are happy to include the home value in their financial aid calculations. And it doesn't matter if money is held in child's name or parents' names. Money is money. They are wise to how folks hide money ... except maybe if the grandparents pay directly for college.

OTOH, college is cheap anyways compared to early retirement. If one goes in-state, then it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. If you are early retired with any kind of stash and your kid goes to an in-state public institution, I don't see how you will get much aid. If you are early retired with a modest pension and no stash, I guess you can get some aid.

Didn't Trombone Al early retire while his daughter was in college?

Heck, I'll be 60 when DD is 21, so I am sure I'll be retired by then. I'm shooting for ER at age 56, but who knows what will happen. I may cover 1/2 of in state college, just like my parents did. Still too early to tell.

Heck, I'll be 60 when DD is 21, so I am sure I'll be retired by then. I'm shooting for ER at age 56, but who knows what will happen. I may cover 1/2 of in state college, just like my parents did. Still too early to tell.

Glad to see I am not the only "older father" on here..........:)

Yeah, I try not to think that if I had my kid at 19 instead of 39 she would be out of the house by now...

Another old dad. I will be 59 when my youngest starts college.

Whether it's college, vocational school, helping a kid start a business....... whatever, it's just another expense to account for in determining your FIRE status. I think the real question is the change in flexibility caused by going FIRE while you still have dependents at home. If something changes (kid's health, plans, etc.) while you're still working, you still have the option to continue on (ugh!) if necessary. Once you walk out the door, at least for many of us, it might be difficult to undo the decision.

I didn't FIRE until I had the finances for my commitments (mainly a trust fund for a grandchild with special needs) locked up. I probably would have handled the commitment to help with the kid's college the same way although in my case I had my family early and was an empty nester at RE time.

I am 49 now. DW and I and have three daughters that we want to put through college. The first is 22 and will graduate next month. We carried the financial load for her all the way through her state college (though she had to w*rk for some small expenses along the way). If she goes on to Grad School, that will be on her own. We will do the same with the other two girls (ages 17 and 13). My parents did this for me and I feel both obligated and happy to be able to do this for my kids too. I want them to be well prepared for life and to reach for their full potentials. We have a kind of understanding that they must work to achieve the best that they are capable of in college. If they do, they have our full support (DW and me).
DW and I both intend to RE in the middle of this 12 year long college payment drain for our daughters. We expect to be able to do so because we have segmented off their college expenses into different buckets. We calculate our RE expenses separately and are waiting to achieve "the number", rather than a specific date.
If our daughters choose to attend expensive private schools, that is OK. But our financial support is set at the state school level. They will need to suplement that amount with scholarships, loans, more w*rk, etc.
Best of luck to you!:greetings10:

I'll be 70 when my youngest finishes 4 years of college. OOOOh boy! On the other hand they sure are a delight to have around now. Yea I would be a lot more comfortable about retiring if they had their education but I'm not sure it would make that much difference in reality.

I did not retire @57 until youngest son was in state college. He is now in his third year.I had a good bit saved but not sure how I will cover what looks like will be his fifth year. Good kid, dean's list.....music major. Oh well.

Other thoughts?
Keep showing your kid all the cool things they could get to do in the military, and then let them figure out the details of NROTC & service academies...

Didn't Trombone Al early retire while his daughter was in college?
Yep. I think she was barely out of the nest when the ER partying started.

Our plan early on was that both our kids would go to college if they wished. We started saving when they were in grade school. Other than a small scholarship that my son earned, we payed the entire bill for both.
We did encourage them both to be as frugal as possible with our hard earned money.

My son and son in law lived in one of the old corp dorms at A&M. NOT air conditioned and dirt cheap. It was actually the same dorm my father lived in 50 years earlier. They both had a basic meal plan which was an expense saver. My son was also able to test out of first year calculus and physics....another money saver.

My daughter lived at home and drove to Dallas for classes. This also helped on the bills.

It's a satisfying feeling to know that both have the education to do better than we did.
Our youngest graduated when I was 51. There's no way I would have tried to retire while either of them were still in school.

Worried Older dad.

Dang! This thread is depressing me. I'm 52 with four kids aged 8, 9, 13 and 14. It looks like my planned ER at 55 is starting to slip towards 60 :(. However, on a more positive note when I ran FireCalc it looks like I could probably retire at 58 with basically the same income that I currently make working. :)

We have two daughters. One is in college with full MERIT scholarship (not financial aid). She also works as an intern part time during school and full time during the summer. She will be completely debt free and have quite a bit of savings. The younger one will be a different story. We probably have to pay for her education since she will not be a national merit scholar nor a class valedictorian, unlike her sister. Most likely she will not qualify for any merit scholarship or financial aids because of our savings and income.

... on a more positive note when I ran FireCalc it looks like I could probably retire at 58 with basically the same income that I currently make working. :)
That's great -- you probably have a healthy nest egg.

Keep showing your kid all the cool things they could get to do in the military, and then let them figure out the details of NROTC & service academies...
Hmmm: Maybe a tough sell. They were there for most of 25 years, 13 moves, 3 overseas assignments, exercises, inspections, endless hours doing whatever it was I was doing that I couldn't tell them about... Yup for some reason none of them showed the slightest interest in going into the military. Nords, it just boggles the mind... I was the first in my family to make the military a career and chances are I'll also be the last. But on the bright side my mil pay did fund 3 kids through college, ER at 48, and SAHM for the kids. I did mention the academys, rotc, etc., but w/o your success.

Well done on your recruiting efforts or perhaps Mrs. Nords had a hand in your success?

Nords, it just boggles the mind... I was the first in my family to make the military a career and chances are I'll also be the last. But on the bright side my mil pay did fund 3 kids through college, ER at 48, and SAHM for the kids. I did mention the academys, rotc, etc., but w/o your success.
Well done on your recruiting efforts or perhaps Mrs. Nords had a hand in your success?
I wish I knew, because it took nearly us three years to convince her that there were better alternatives than USNA. If we hadn't ignorantly visited USNA at a very impressionable time for her then we wouldn't really have had much of a clue about the college-selection process, just like when I was in high school. The only thing that really did change her mind was six days at USNA (total hours of sleep: 25) followed by three weeks at Notre Dame (where she got almost as much sleep that first weekend).

I've had uncles in the military but none in our immediate family. No one in spouse's family was ever in the military (other than as a draftee); she joined the military as an attractive way to escape her immediate family. But I think our kid is hypercompetitive, although I have no idea where that genetic code could have come from. Her first visit with us to USNA (after 8th grade) was full of grrrl power. Her 2nd cousin, attending USMA at the time, was even visiting USNA and stayed with us. So she was surrounded by Go Navy and military gung ho. Staying in senior officer housing with USNA's Director of Math & Science (also one of the first women USNA grads), quaffing frosty beverages on the lanai, watching the plebes hard at work-- what's not to like? It's an irresistible challenge, and I still get that feeling when I see USMC commercials on TV... even though I'm hypothetically old enough to know better.

My spouse is USNA '83, the fourth class of women. She still talks of her years of being the only girl in the room. Maybe that "trailblazer" attitude influenced our daughter, who didn't understand what her mother was trying to explain to her.

I think our kid sees the military as a guaranteed job after college with no fear of having to go through a job search and all those pesky interviews. She probably thinks that she can blithely do her 20 and retire to a life of indolence, just like her parents. She's also surrounded by successful Reservists (friends & neighbors) and Hawaii has a huge tradition of family Reserve/National Guard service, so she probably sees a martial tradition as a lot more "normal" than we do. All this and a paycheck too.

I think we've done our part to [-]salve our consciences[/-] make sure she knew what she was getting into. We've visited several other colleges. I've taken her to USNA's Memorial Hall, shown her the plaque with my classmates' names on it, and told her about them and how they died... until she was crying. We've tried to make very clear that she's seeing us enjoy ER without seeing what we paid for it. We talk about a typical day at sea and we make sure she understands all the not-so-funny parts about the sea stories. I think she's finally getting it.

She still doesn't believe that an engineering degree will give her lifelong employment in Hawaii, but maybe she'll figure that out during freshman year. Who knows-- she may do a year at NROTC, learn about the "real" Navy that following summer, and decide that she wants nothing to do with it. As I've told her, she'll have made an informed decision and won't spend the rest of her life wondering "what if".

She's doing a better job of picking a college than I did-- I was impressed by Navy's cool gear, the irresistible challenge, and the hot chicks. I accomplished all of those goals, too, but I can't help wondering "What if?" every time I see a college like Rice or Notre Dame.

Our kid's not totally nuts-- she wants nothing to do with aviation and she's extremely skeptical of submarines. So maybe she really is smarter than her parents...

Our kid's not totally nuts-- she wants nothing to do with aviation and she's extremely skeptical of submarines. So maybe she really is smarter than her parents...
:ROFLMAO::LOL: It's a scary thought isn't it... :nonono:
Perhaps that explains my kids, lack of interest, too...:D

During my junior year of college, I started reading the pretty brochures on the Navy's Nuke Engineering program -- I had most of the required prerequisites and was considering how to get the rest, when DW waded in and expressed her opinions. Extremely skeptical of subs, doesn't even begin to express her thoughts on the subject as a newly wed. A strategic retreat led to my survival to [-]fight[/-] retreat another day...:flowers:

We saved in the state prepaid tuition program. At this point, if they go to a year or two of community college then transfer to a local state university and live at home we have a four year degree paid for for each of them. And that is our deal, "you each have a four year degree and you are welcome to live at home for four years out of high school to get it, if you want to go out of the area or more to more expensive schools you need to develop a plan to cover the difference." We would likely kick in some more if they did live on campus out of the area for a couple of years, but not a tremendous amount more. So in the end, we feel we have flexibility regarding ER whether the kids are completely out or not.

Extremely skeptical of subs, doesn't even begin to express her thoughts on the subject as a newly wed. A strategic retreat led to my survival to [-]fight[/-] retreat another day...:flowers:
Hunh, that's odd, my spouse just wanted to know if my nuke bonus pay would continue to be sent to our joint checking account while the search & rescue guys were doing their thing...

Back
Top Bottom