Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Just make sure there aren't any adverse consequences at the state level if you have state income tax. In my state (MD), qualified pension distributions, which include 401(k) distributions are eligible for a pension exclusion on state income taxes once you turn 65. IRA distributions are not eligible for this exclusion. If you roll money out of a 401(k) or other qualified plan to an IRA you lose the benefit of this exclusion.
Interesting angle, I'll have to check that out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Before you conclude that the rollover is a go, take a moment tobriefly consider whether there are any special features of your current 401k
+1
I would make sure that 100% is vested before you make the move. I got burned with that.

401k transfer
Old 02-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

401k transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I just wanted to see if there was anything that I was overlooking.

In any event, I need to wait until I get my final paycheck on 2/29 since it will be going 100% into the 401k before I initiate the transfer.
I would talk with the 401k administrator about the transfer options and pick up the necessary forms they may have. I did that a year later and then I had to email back and forth.