Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Dependent/College Cost Deduction Question
Old 09-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Pasadena CA
Posts: 2,717
Dependent/College Cost Deduction Question

Anyone know how to approach taxes when one has a dependent in college and then said person (we hope) gets a job for the rest of the year. Students usually graduate in June, in previous years the expenses and tax deduction would usually be taken by the parent who has paid for these. But presuming our son gets a job, I would assume he would not be a dependent for the year and thus all the tax deductions for dependent status and college expenses would be lost to the parents and not useful to the now working son. Is this about right? Is there a better way to approach this? Pay costs in advance?

T.S. Eliot:
Old men ought to be explorers
yakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Htown Harry's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,517
Timely post. My oldest is also a college senior and I haven't researched this issue yet.

Not intending to hijack the thread, but these are some of the important variables for me:
  • I can pay spring tuition in December or I can defer the majority of spring tuition payments until after January 1. (State U has an installment plan with minimal carrying costs.) If she's eligible to be my dependent in 2011, I may be better off waiting so I can get education tax credits in both 2010 and 2011.
  • The last bit of DD's 529 money could be withdrawn either this year or next. Or I can pay with other cash and keep the money in the 529 account for DD #2.
  • Housing costs are more complicated, since she lives off-campus and paying State U for a semester's room & board in a dorm isn't an option. I suppose I could pre-pay several months of 529-eligible rent expenses in December.
  • The Obamacare "stay on the parents health insurance until 26" provisions will kick in on schedule January, just in time for my employer's open enrollment in February. No worries about lack of insurance coverage beginning in June.

Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 3,326
We maintained the deductions when our oldest graduated because she moved back home so we provided room and board that accounted for most of her support. This continued through grad school even though she paid her own school bills. I guess you could continue to pay some living expenses for the dependent which might be minimal to make your contribution (along with education expenses) more than half.

We continued claiming our dependent for one more year until she finished grad school and started making more money. Since she was still at home we felt entitled to a deduction so we ran turbotax with and without her as a dependent and the combined tax bill was less with her claiming herself and we shared the savings to offset the additional taxes on our return.

As for timing payment of the bills, it seemed like the 1098T provided by the school only considered when the bill was issued, not when it was actually paid.
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,563
I just answered the questions on TurboTax when our kids were in college.

I remember we did claim DS the year he graduated because it made more of a difference for us than it did for him had he claimed himself.
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,492
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
As for timing payment of the bills, it seemed like the 1098T provided by the school only considered when the bill was issued, not when it was actually paid.
Right, you can use your actual payments instead of what's on the 1098T. I used to make tuition payments in January because having it in December would go over the limit for the credit.

Here's Pub 970 Tax Benefits for Education.

Your issue seems to be if your son will be your dependent for the year. A lot of that will come from if you are supporting him. From Pub 501, the support test is -

The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
As for if he is a full time student for the year, the requirement is that -

Full-time student. A full-time student is a student who is enrolled for the number of hours or courses the school considers to be full-time attendance. Student defined. To qualify as a student, your child must be, during some part of each of any 5 calendar months of the year:
  1. A full-time student at a school that has a regular teaching staff, course of study, and a regularly enrolled student body at the school, or
  2. A student taking a full-time, on-farm training course given by a school described in (1), or by a state, county, or local government agency.

The 5 calendar months do not have to be consecutive.
So if he attends for 1 day in January, all of Feb, Mar, April and one day May, then he can be considered a full time student for the year and therefore your dependent....unless he provides more than half of his own support.

One of our sons graduated in May and moved home and paid us to live here. We kept him as a dependent for the year and took the exemption and the education credit. The other son made it easy. He graduated in Dec. so he was our dependent for the year. We made all payments before he graduated. As of Jan. he was no longer our dependent.
Married, both 63. DH retired June, 2010. I have a pleasant little part time job.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Observations on the Cost of College stephenandrew FIRE and Money 68 01-10-2010 08:10 AM
Tax: Mileage Deduction Question TromboneAl FIRE and Money 19 02-09-2009 03:34 PM
Quick Tax Question re Tuition Deduction TromboneAl FIRE and Money 19 01-31-2007 12:22 PM
Quick Tax Question -- SEP Without Deduction Benefit TromboneAl FIRE and Money 5 01-24-2007 01:43 PM
College Cost Sharing/Structuring TromboneAl Other topics 6 05-03-2005 07:34 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:41 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.