Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #21

These Excel files feel too much like ... work. TPS Reports, anyone?

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Mid, I think CyclingInvestor was trying to share a laugh about all the fancy graphs, not disparage you or your investing philosophy.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Mid, I think CyclingInvestor was trying to share a laugh about all the fancy graphs, not disparage you or your investing philosophy.
Yes, strictly comedy.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:02 AM   #24

I wish I had the time to create nice graphs like those above. Well done everyone.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I wish I had the time to create nice graphs like those above. Well done everyone.
You could take the time you spend on the WalMart greeter messages here and instead work on graphs.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It doesn't take much time at all once the spreadsheets are set up. And it's hard to think of many things more important than monitoring your nest egg. YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It doesn't take much time at all once the spreadsheets are set up, helps that I enjoy investing and PC time. And it's hard to think of many things more important than monitoring your nest egg. Time or priorities? YMMV

Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #28

I always enjoy a new challenge. I created my own graph today, showing withdrawals over a 48 year period.

image001[1] - Copy (2).png

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
You could take the time you spend on the WalMart greeter messages here and instead work on graphs.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Good start on that graphing Obgyn65.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #30

Quote:
I always enjoy a new challenge. I created my own graph today, showing withdrawals over a 48 year period.

Attachment 15879
Nice glide path! Please tell us about the data series.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #31

X axis = year from 1 to 48
Y axis = remaining size of nest egg after withdrawal

I have another graph showing the same nest egg and same time period but using SPIAs at a later stage in life. Looks very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019
Nice glide path! Please tell us about the data series.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #32

Well I am not FIREd yet but sometimes I check this website between patients or at the office where I support R&D efforts... Always happy to contribute to this forum when time permits, although my posts tend to be brief for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack
It doesn't take much time at all once the spreadsheets are set up. And it's hard to think of many things more important than monitoring your nest egg. YMMV
Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Midpack, So after all this "learning" I assume you now have it exactly right.
Mine is similar to yours at the moment. ( We are also the same age)

However, I sometimes wonder about including some "alternative" investments such as real estate, commodities or even a going business. My fear is that government policies all seem directed at easing pressure on debtors- thereby giving investors a haircut. Witness current interest rates and tax increases on dividends.

BTW- Since I retired I dont do charts.
Spreadsheets yes. However, I dont need to "present" them to myself. LOL
Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Ken,

Midpack, So after all this "learning" I assume you now have it exactly right. Of course not, not sure why you'd say that. I've acknowledged the role of luck in my path to FI.

However, I sometimes wonder about including some "alternative" investments such as real estate, commodities or even a going business. There are others here with a lot more expertise with alternative investments. I hold a REIT and sector fund of "a commodity" - but that's the extent of my knowledge/exposure. I could probably do better.

My fear is that government policies all seem directed at easing pressure on debtors- thereby giving investors a haircut. Witness current interest rates and tax increases on dividends.

BTW- Since I retired I dont do charts.
Spreadsheets yes. However, I dont need to "present" them to myself. LOL Charts have always "spoken to me" and if you're doing spreadsheets as we both are, charts a but a Wizard and 3-4 clicks away. I can't imagine trying to illustrate the point in the OP with narrative alone, but probably my own limitations...

Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes the effort in creating a chart forces me to display the information in a more useful form then if I just left it in row/column format. So occasionally I'll go back and revise the analysis to bring out the most useful form of the data to chart.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Ken,

Midpack, So after all this "learning" I assume you now have it exactly right. Of course not, not sure why you'd say that. I've acknowledged the role of luck in my path to FI.

MP
Sorry if my attempt at a clever comment was unclear.
There was no "poke" intended.
I was just thinking that there is never really any perfectly "right" portfolio because things are always evolving.
Over time God, governments, financial engineering (e.g. ETF's, MLP's) and all manner of stupidity and unexpected chaos make this so.
Its a journey.
Cheers
Old 01-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I like charts too, but am too lazy to make my own. So, I make do with whatever Quicken provides, with me providing just a few clicks. Following is a typical chart that I call up once every few weeks. The chart provides a comparison of the growth (or shrinkage) of my portfolio relative to the indices.

See my portfolio over the last 3 months. I am running neck to neck with the S&P 500, despite having an equity exposure of 70% (meaning less than 100%), and then nearly 1/2 of that are foreign equities. Note also how my portfolio has less volatility than S&P 500. This happy condition was not always true, particularly in the last 2 years.

One can see how the small-caps are doing so well in the Russel 2000. Talking heads always say that is a very bullish indicator. Well, let's hope it lasts.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
...(snip)...

One can see how the small-caps are doing so well in the Russel 2000. Talking heads always say that is a very bullish indicator.
Very nice chart.

And yes, I think I do see a talking head in that chart!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Oh boy!

Now that you mentioned it, I look more closely at that Russel line, and can discern one shoulder and and 1/2 of the head. It's not very clear yet, though.

The problem is that once we see the head and the other shoulder well formed, our goose is already cooked. Maybe even burnt to a crisp.