Diary of an investing madman...

I wish I had the time to create nice graphs like those above. Well done everyone.
It doesn't take much time at all once the spreadsheets are set up. And it's hard to think of many things more important than monitoring your nest egg. YMMV

I wish I had the time to create nice graphs like those above. Well done everyone.
It doesn't take much time at all once the spreadsheets are set up, helps that I enjoy investing and PC time. And it's hard to think of many things more important than monitoring your nest egg. Time or priorities? YMMV

I always enjoy a new challenge. I created my own graph today, showing withdrawals over a 48 year period.

image001[1] - Copy (2).png

You could take the time you spend on the WalMart greeter messages here and instead work on graphs.

X axis = year from 1 to 48
Y axis = remaining size of nest egg after withdrawal

I have another graph showing the same nest egg and same time period but using SPIAs at a later stage in life. Looks very different.

target2019 said:
Nice glide path! Please tell us about the data series.

Well I am not FIREd yet but sometimes I check this website between patients or at the office where I support R&D efforts... Always happy to contribute to this forum when time permits, although my posts tend to be brief for obvious reasons.

Midpack said:
It doesn't take much time at all once the spreadsheets are set up. And it's hard to think of many things more important than monitoring your nest egg. YMMV

Last edited:
Midpack, So after all this "learning" I assume you now have it exactly right.
Mine is similar to yours at the moment. ( We are also the same age)

However, I sometimes wonder about including some "alternative" investments such as real estate, commodities or even a going business. My fear is that government policies all seem directed at easing pressure on debtors- thereby giving investors a haircut. Witness current interest rates and tax increases on dividends.

BTW- Since I retired I dont do charts.
Spreadsheets yes. However, I dont need to "present" them to myself. LOL

Ken,

Midpack, So after all this "learning" I assume you now have it exactly right. Of course not, not sure why you'd say that. I've acknowledged the role of luck in my path to FI.

However, I sometimes wonder about including some "alternative" investments such as real estate, commodities or even a going business. There are others here with a lot more expertise with alternative investments. I hold a REIT and sector fund of "a commodity" - but that's the extent of my knowledge/exposure. I could probably do better.

My fear is that government policies all seem directed at easing pressure on debtors- thereby giving investors a haircut. Witness current interest rates and tax increases on dividends.

BTW- Since I retired I dont do charts.
Spreadsheets yes. However, I dont need to "present" them to myself. LOL Charts have always "spoken to me" and if you're doing spreadsheets as we both are, charts a but a Wizard and 3-4 clicks away. I can't imagine trying to illustrate the point in the OP with narrative alone, but probably my own limitations...

Sometimes the effort in creating a chart forces me to display the information in a more useful form then if I just left it in row/column format. So occasionally I'll go back and revise the analysis to bring out the most useful form of the data to chart.

Ken,

Midpack, So after all this "learning" I assume you now have it exactly right. Of course not, not sure why you'd say that. I've acknowledged the role of luck in my path to FI.

MP
Sorry if my attempt at a clever comment was unclear.
There was no "poke" intended.
I was just thinking that there is never really any perfectly "right" portfolio because things are always evolving.
Over time God, governments, financial engineering (e.g. ETF's, MLP's) and all manner of stupidity and unexpected chaos make this so.
Its a journey.
Cheers

Yes, I like charts too, but am too lazy to make my own. So, I make do with whatever Quicken provides, with me providing just a few clicks. Following is a typical chart that I call up once every few weeks. The chart provides a comparison of the growth (or shrinkage) of my portfolio relative to the indices.

See my portfolio over the last 3 months. I am running neck to neck with the S&P 500, despite having an equity exposure of 70% (meaning less than 100%), and then nearly 1/2 of that are foreign equities. Note also how my portfolio has less volatility than S&P 500. This happy condition was not always true, particularly in the last 2 years.

One can see how the small-caps are doing so well in the Russel 2000. Talking heads always say that is a very bullish indicator. Well, let's hope it lasts.

img_1273312_0_2cb3c344bb6d0538bc1f2636dc0b2875.png

Last edited:
...(snip)...

One can see how the small-caps are doing so well in the Russel 2000. Talking heads always say that is a very bullish indicator.
Very nice chart. :)

And yes, I think I do see a talking head in that chart!

Oh boy!

Now that you mentioned it, I look more closely at that Russel line, and can discern one shoulder and and 1/2 of the head. It's not very clear yet, though. :angel:

The problem is that once we see the head and the other shoulder well formed, our goose is already cooked. Maybe even burnt to a crisp. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom