Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I dont think everyone has it, but my credit card and bank accounts do. Theres a 'notifications' section that lets you put in email alerts for large charges, when your bill is due, if your bill is overdue, if the minimum payment hasnt posted, etc.

One of my banks offers a pretty flexible setup. You can lay out all sorts of rules if a balance is over a certain amount and/or some other condition then email me. Nice. I had it set up to alert me if future bill payments exceeded the current account balance so I'd know when I needed to shoot more money into the account.

There was no charge for me for any of this on any account, but that may have been self fulfilling. I dont open accounts anywhere that has any sort of fees whatsoever. My experience has been that if there are plausible fees, that you'll be charged them. Even when the fees dont apply. Wells Fargo seems to find a way to tag my dads free checking with fees for stuff he didnt do every few months, just to make sure he's reading his statements.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
Last spring I had my debit card stolen when I used it at a restaurant. While identify theft was unlikely, I contacted the credit agency's and asked to restrict all promotional mailings and to notify me of any credit requests. Most mailings have gone away . and since I didn't go anywhere asking for credit, no hassles on my end.

As for the stolen card, bank immediately caught and refunded mispent funds (they were the ones who notified me within 1-2 hours). Turns out it was an interstate ring, so the FBI got involved. The first defendent has gone down in federal court..facing 15 years . I expect the rest of the co-sonspirators will plea....but that is another story.

I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Isn't this too bad?

Does my little heart good.

Citigroup calls emergency board meeting - Nov. 2, 2007

UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote