Join Early Retirement Today

Did Anyone Retire with "Only" .75M$ Saved?
Old 06-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Did Anyone Retire with "Only" .75M$ Saved?

Now there's a bold question ... I just had to ask. That's how much we have in our IRAs right now, and I am itching to just throw in the towel and say I'm done with my job.

I know there's a LOT more to it than how much you have in your IRAs. But I just wanted to ask--did anyone here take the leap with less than $1M put away?

(Btw, we have no debt, own our home, live below our means, just bought new car (cash) and put tin roof on house/garage ... so we're pretty good outside of the IRAs. I'm just chicken. ) And DH would continue working for awhile to give us health insurance, cuz he's still a baby at 57. :-)

Anybody do it with less than a mill?
SoReadyToRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't think I could. 4% of $750k is only
Mykle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry cat on keyboard...

30k/yr at the max. Can you live on that? And enjoy youself
Mykle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are there pensions expected, and would your SS cover your expenses?

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #5

Not enough info. Free or subsidized healthcare ? High cost of living location ? Spending habits ? Ya, anyone CAN retire on 750 k or less, if the lifestyle of " Possum Living " suits you.

("Possum Living: How to Live Well Without a Job and with (Almost) No Money" by Dolly Freed)

Or get a cheap boat and " Anchor Out " in Sausalito
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoReadyToRetire View Post
But I just wanted to ask--did anyone here take the leap with less than $1M put away?
Not me. But it's just math. Planning for retirement depends on income, assets and expenses.

If you can get by with less than $1M that's great.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #7

My mom retired on $1500 / mo social security and $30k in the bank. And she seems very happy.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Last day of work Dec 28, 1988.....no company pension...had $500K Canadian.....4 times that now. We're not wealthy, but we get by.....travel once in a while.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I could make it work. But our expenses are low (below 5K monthly) and we will draw SSI 80% of that at 67. Plan to RE at 59.5 (20 months out).
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I know an expat in China who got cleaned out in his late 50s during a divorce. Was left with something like $500k in liquid assets after 35 years of work and savings. Met his second wife (a Chinese gal) a year or two later, took SS at 62, and moved back to China with her. They live like kings on $2-3k/month and apparently between his SS and her income, he hasn't needed to tap into his $500k savings yet.
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #11

Like others have mentioned, there's not enough info. How much of a pension/SS either or both of you will get will make a big difference. Also, how much income your husband brings in, and when he ultimately decides to retire.

FWIW, everyone in my family who has come before me, and retired, has done it on less than $1M. In many cases, much less. But, they tended to have decent money coming in from pensions/SS. Or, for the less moneyed ones, they had family members who helped them out.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable retiring with $1M or less, but everybody's situation is different. In my case, I'm 49, single, just bought a house with a $2600/mo mortgage. I won't get a pension when I retire, and if I take SS at 62, I estimate it'll only be around $1400/mo, in today's dollars.

I honestly don't know what amount I'd have to have saved up, for me to feel comfortable. It seems to go up, the older I get! Last year, before I bought the new house, I had gotten up to around $1.96M, and no mortgage, and was starting to feel pretty comfortable. And, if I managed to get up to $3M, I have a feeling I'd pull the plug immediately, regardless of the mortgage! So, I guess my magic number is somewhere between $2 and $3M.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #12

Close relative (skilled blue-collar) retired in his early 50s, ~25 years ago with closer to $75,000.

Most importantly they had a paid-off home, a modest but COLA pension plus nearly free retiree healthcare.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

You have a new roof and a new car now, but are you able to put aside enough to pay for repairs and replacements as they inevitably crop up? Paying for them would eat seriously into your seed corn.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #14

We did. But have pensions. Spending about 90% of what comes in. About half of what we put aside is invested the rest will be spent on major purchases.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #15

The LCOL area question is a very good one. Having no debt and free/clear house is really important too.

You would be surprised how many here are happy on LESS than 750k invest able assets. We had a discussion on that topic at least once before.

SS, small pension, PT hobby business, extreme frugal ism-lots of ways to make it work. Or even if you have the option of future PT work (say substitute teaching or consulting if you HAD to) that would allow you to go for it and keep "an ace in the hole".

Many here have discovered their expenses go down once retired. Perhaps yours will too. Go for it!
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I honestly don't know what amount I'd have to have saved up, for me to feel comfortable. It seems to go up, the older I get!
For some of us, the number ( went down, the older we got and the fuller the BS bucket got!
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Put all your numbers including SS in Firecalc and see what it gives you.
We retired with under 2m but wouldn't and couldn't with under 1m, but one is already collecting SSDI, plus have some additional income sources the first few years.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

It is noted that 4% of $750K is only $30K/year, but the OP mentioned several favorable factors, such as

1) her younger husband is 57 already, so she is older and closer to SS age,
2) the husband still works for a while, and that provides health insurance for both,
3) they are frugal and have no debt.

And of course health insurance is the item of most concern if the husband wants to throw in the towel also, but can they count on ACA being here till they reach 65?

Other than that, I think they can do it, even though most people here retire with much more.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I can tell you, many have retired with less then 1M. I know of many older people with less and have done just fine. SS will help a bunch and if you aren't going live a life traveling around the world and spending money like there is no tomorrow I would say you will do just fine.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I doubt we could. Healthcare premiums alone are almost 20k for just the two of us (Mid 40’s), although income would be low enough in that situation to qualify for Medicaid. However, once the bs bucket gets full enough anything’s possible. There are times at work I’d be willing to give up eating out and the occasional trip to get outta that mess. If u think/know you can live on 30k give it a shot!