Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Doesn't one normally wait to be thanked before saying "you're welcome"?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This assumption is correct. I like cheap Subaru cars. Not flashy, and these cars are quite reliable in winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
To be clear, I wasn't criticizing holding Dodge & Cox - while I don't hold it from what I know it has a good record and reputation. I was just saying that I can't see obgyn ever owning it.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
This assumption is correct. I like cheap Subaru cars. Not flashy, and these cars are quite reliable in winter.
I think Dodge & Cox is an investment fund outfit, not a brand of vehicle LOL!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

Just another one of those "what the h*ll is he talking about?" Kodak moments.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, there is this (Dodge Viper):

and this (Cox gas model car):

Neither one is likely to be reliable in winter.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I'll take the Viper.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was reading this thread quickly over lunch break, saw the word "Dodge" and assumed the poster was talking about cars. I have been living here int US for about 10 years only, and still need to get used to many brand names :-) .
Quote:

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of Dodge & Cox, I assume people here, being a bunch of conservative investors, were talking about Dodge & Cox Balanced because its investment style is similar to Wellesley which is a favorite for people on this forum.

I have owned DODBX for quite a while. A few years ago, after being sold by the not so subliminal messages from unclemick, I added Wellesley to my stash. I looked at them every so often to see how they raced against each other.

In the crash of 2008-2009, DODBX came down harder than Wellesley. But ever since, it has rebounded and regained the lead. Particularly, for the past 12 months, DODBX went up 28%, about 3x that of Wellesley. The higher content of equities of 70% vs. 40% explains some of that. But moreover, the 28% gain is higher than that of the S&P500, and of course also higher than that of Wellington at 60% equities.

I usually do not look inside the holding of my MFs, but just did out of curiosity. I found out that the highest position of DODBX at 3% of assets is a short of 10-yr Treasury notes.

Whoa! These guys are gutsy. I love it. While people fret about rising interest rates but do nothing, these guys are acting on their belief. Will see how this is going to play out, for them and for me too.

By the way, I have downsized my MFs to only a few that I will keep long-term and will not trade frequently. I have kept some MFs for decades, too long in fact, and have just eliminated some. Even with my stocks that I pay much more attention to, my turnover is very low. Too low for my own good in fact.

PS. Just read the OP again, and it was Dodge & Cox Income (DODIX) that was held. Well, that's not the same thing I talked about above. Sorry.

DODIX is all fixed income, which in this environment, I would have sold and moved to Wellesley, Wellington, or the "gutsier" DODBX, depending on a person's tolerance for volatility. At least Wellesley, but no, not DODIX.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

PPS. For people who came to this forum only recently, I apologized if my jesting posts in the past caused some confusion. I thought it would be obvious when I was just bantering around, and people would not take it seriously. However, there are times when I am serious, and the above post was one of them, when I really meant what I said.

Of course, my investment ideas are not guaranteed to make money, and only reflect my current belief.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Owned the Dodge and Cox stock fund for years. IIRC it had lower turnover of its holdings than most other managed funds. And, yes, I also hold the Pssssssst Wellesley fund.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote