Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2016, 06:16 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why did this take so long to come into light ? I watched the CEO being grilled by Lizzy Warren yesterday and I can't say I disagree with anything she said. These things will only continue until these executives are held accountable, have to pay back their bonuses and are given hard time.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 07:47 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinancebuff View Post
The story doesn't sound complete. Employees created unauthorized accounts using your name and address. You would've received the paperwork and debit card or credit card the bank sent. If you didn't want them you would call the bank and close them. If you kept them open you would've received statements. How can you be charged overdraft fees if you never use them? Among all the unauthorized accounts, how many accounts generated how much fees the bank didn't reverse? I doubt the consumers affected actually paid much in fees.
Agree. Hard to see how WF could benefit from these phantom accounts? Clearly sounds like a case of poorly designed employee incentives. Question wil be who knew what and when. 5,300 people getting fired is remarkable. Will be interesting to see how high the "rot" goes. Let's hope other banks have reviewed their controls and this hasn't happened elsewhere. Inconceivable that senior people would knowingly endorse this practise. But who knows?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The big problem is trying to prove that they caused the fraud... or knew about it and did nothing... most laws require intent to put someone in jail... as I used to say to coworkers when one company I worked at went under 'it is not against the law to be stupid'.... (then again, one of the top execs was taking kickbacks and did go to jail)....

I would think that the lady exec that ran the retail unit that walked away with millions would be more liable than the CEO...

I also would like to see some go to jail.... but if you remember Enron, where they did much worse than here, it was difficult to prosecute... but, the did put a number of people in jail...

Now, if they can find a 'smoking gun' on one of the execs.... or flip a lower level manager, they might be able to do something... I just do not think the Justice Dept really cares....
Agree. Except for the part about the JD not caring. Most politicians love to see execs go to jail. Especially bankers. I would think the CEO is toast.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Employees that reported the bad/illegal things they were being asked/told to do to the Ethics hotline, were fired soon afterwards.
One even emailed the CEO directly to report the bad things, and of course the CEO claimed he couldn't remember it.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Did anybody see any of the testimony from the CEO today

Man, did he look bad... Warren skewered him.....
Absolutely took him apart. Appears he got his hand caught in the cookie jar. Maybe that's why he had his right hand all bandaged up.

If this is "mostly" true, he (and maybe others) should be sent to jail and forfeit "some" of their net worth. Maybe he could share a cell with Bernie Madoff. Bernie has a lease that doesn't expire until 2139.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:42 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Agree. Except for the part about the JD not caring. Most politicians love to see execs go to jail. Especially bankers. I would think the CEO is toast.

Since few (if any) went to jail over the 2008 financial disaster I do not see people going to jail over this...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Why did this take so long to come into light ? I watched the CEO being grilled by Lizzy Warren yesterday and I can't say I disagree with anything she said. These things will only continue until these executives are held accountable, have to pay back their bonuses and are given hard time.
Yes, I have to agree that she was spot on... and I am not a fan of her...

I have not looked, but she must have been a prosecutor... how she would cut him off when he was going off line or making up some BS answer... how she would say "I take that as a no" when he would not answer a question...

I do not feel sorry for Wells.... and do hope somebody goes to jail... at a minimum lose a big part of their bonus...

BTW, I saw one guy on TV who said they had opened up 17 accounts in his name and was taking out money from his main account to fund them... I think it was over time, but still... how long does it take to say "I am outta here"...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:11 AM   #48

Quote:
Since few (if any) went to jail over the 2008 financial disaster I do not see people going to jail over this...
Agree but nevertheless the desire to send them there is growing.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:28 AM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Agree but nevertheless the desire to send them there is growing.
Not so sure the desire to see bankers punished is increasing - but it is more determined. This unlawful activity seemed pretty widespread. The Bloomberg headline this morning caught my attention
Quote:
Wells Fargo Sued Over Firings for Missed Account Quotas
Wells Fargo Sued Over Firings for Missed Account Quotas - Bloomberg

At this stage there is no way to know if that lawsuit has merit, but it seems (to me, at least) appropriate that this additional aspect of the wrongdoing also figure in the story. If employees were let go on a regular basis for not meeting quotas, it will be more difficult for the bank to show that this was not systemic and senior management not aware.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #50

I have a 401K with Wells Fargo, and they added a blurb about the recent scandal, and the blurb has prevented my computer from accessing my account. Perfect.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Just went to a local WF branch this morning to close one my account. Seems pretty friendly to me. I have enough bank accounts else where, the WF I opened was only for temp use.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:45 PM   #52

I wish I had an account with them just so I could close it.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:10 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I wish I had an account with them just so I could close it.
And, just what makes you think you don't have an account with them?
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:03 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Ha, made me laugh.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:36 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Another thing is the bad behavior in 2008 was so widespread it was tough to focus blame. This time it's a lot easier to focus on WF management

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Good one!!!
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #57
Administrator

Bloomberg reports Wells Fargo CEO Stumpf Quits in Fallout From Fake Accounts - Bloomberg

Quote:
John Stumpf, who led Wells Fargo & Co. through the financial crisis and built it into the world’s most valuable bank, stepped down as chief executive officer and chairman, bowing to public outcry over legions of accounts opened by his employees for customers who didn’t request them.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:55 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
He has to hang his head in shame, walking away with up to $137 Million

Hey, now he has time to join this forum
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Firing 5,300 employees is a smoke screen! Not only that, I would be willing to bet that not all of these where fired for this specific reason.

You would have to be pretty naive to believe that 5,300 employees came up with this scam on there own. It had to come from higher and was taught as business as usual.