Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Did you have some form of windfall that significantly contributed to Networth?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: Did you have some form of windfall that significantly contributed to Networth?

Stock options over the last 2-3 years have contributed about 200K after taxes. Definitely has helped push us up to our goal.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:59 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nope. And unless I start playing the lottery, I don't expect one.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #23

none here
Old 04-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #24

What exactly is a windfall? Is getting an absurdly high salary a windfall? How about selling your company for more than you thought it was worth? How about falling into a high-compensation profession because you thought it was fun?

I'm pretty sure I've had some windfalls, but I'll take whatever I can get.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

My parents let me live rent free for a few years after I got out of school.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not really a windfall - and not that huge - but just opted for a payout of some deferred compensation to pay off the house about five years ahead of schedule. I know that there are pros and cons about whether to pay off the house vs. invest the money. But it was something we really wanted to do and it has been nice to feel that feeling of no debt anywhere.

Since then, about every old car we have has been breaking down or needing something repaired We do most of the repairs ourselves. Hopefully the repairs won't continue to happen too regularly, or someone's going to be hankering for a new near-new pickup truck.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess the "windfall" I got I woudl rather have NOT received............

My sister's 403B, which is now split between my two sons, which will guarantee them the opportunity to follow whatever career path they want to, within reason............

I would rather have my sister back.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Did you have some form of windfall that significantly contributed to Networt
Old 04-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #28

Re: Did you have some form of windfall that significantly contributed to Networt

Never had a windfall.

If my mom pre-deceases me I will decline my share. I told her to
leave me out of the will, but she insists on an equal split. Since I
already am retired and have plenty, it would just add to the estate
taxes when I pass, and my siblings could use it more than me
(they are not spendthrifts, but neither has accumulated much
towards retirement).
Old 04-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I earned the odd nuclear bonus during my career and banked every penny. Whenever we'd go to sea for a six-month deployment I'd do the same with a couple months' advance pay and live off what was left (not that I had much liberty to live it with).

When I retired I was able to sell back my accumulated leave. That was a nice few thousand dollars but I paid dearly for it the following January when the pay system issued three separate W-2s and couldn't figure out which one(s) went to the IRS. It's a little frustrating to receive an unexpected four-figure Treasury check in the mail with no documentation when the only answer you can get is "We're not sure, we'll let you know." But those of you planning to sell back leave don't have to worry-- they've assured me that you'll have a completely different pay problem it's been fixed.

My grandfather's death (after 14 years of long-term care) left my brother & me with $30K. It didn't change the ER plan (I had already retired) but I've been executing my "brilliant investor" ideas here (on a much smaller scale) instead of on the ER portfolio. That's probably saved us thousands of dollars more than it's cost me.

Spouse is one of those annoying people who wins a door prize at every social event. She still hasn't gotten around to playing lotteries or learning blackjack, though.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:42 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I got a bunch of lottery tickets stock options. Some of them were up more than 50x. Now to be fair to myself, as I've told many people I did earn my lottery tickets, by chosing a good paying profession computer science vs my first love history. Except for one $250,000 sports cars (I actually only paid $20K, but that is the value of the stock options I sold.), I didn't fritter the money away and started maxing my 401K right out of college. I consider the biggest windfall to be the choices I didn't make. For example, in the mid 90s when many of my co-workers left Intel to go pursue jobs with potential mega payoff (EBay, Yahoo, Netscape) , I stuck around to collect the rest of my options. I also made a conscious effort to diversify and rebalance my portfolio rather than trying to capture the top of the dot.com bubble.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:40 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes. Received a significant inheritance from my folks. Never counted on receiving anything just because I believe a person, including your folks, should be free to save or spend what they have. (A freedom I also claim) So we practiced LBYMs for all of our married lives and were making good progress. Probably would've been somewhere into the 60s before retirement though. The inheritance allowed me to retire at 52.

I hope to be able to pass on a decent inheritance to the kiddos. But they better not be counting on it!

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:49 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

No, and I am not planning on leaving one, but most likely will anyway.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Yup. Once a year. It's called bonus time.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Yes, inheritance increased my NW by ~80%. Without it I wouldn't be able to consider FIRE.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes. DH and I both invested in our company stock for 25 years and it exploded about 3 years ago. It contributed over 2/3rds of our portfolio value and without it we would still be working.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp
I got a bunch of lottery tickets stock options. Some of them were up more than 50x. Now to be fair to myself, as I've told many people I did earn my lottery tickets, by chosing a good paying profession computer science vs my first love history. ...I stuck around to collect the rest of my options. I also made a conscious effort to diversify and rebalance my portfolio rather than trying to capture the top of the dot.com bubble.
I "earned" my lottery tickets stock options too, but with recouping 1000x the original investment it's hard for it not to feel like a "windfall". For many years (company private) it seemed like "funny money" that might go sayonara someday. But then it turned into real money. Was kind of a shock.....

Audrey
Old 04-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #37

thanx mom, iou1

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I was truely fortunate to get a full scholarship that paid for my undergraduate degree. I doubt if I could have gone to college without it.

A college degree is not ticket to success, but the lack of one is a greater obstacle to success.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Full state undergraduate scholarship and there was the supervisor that pushed through promotions for the office geeks.

My inheritance was ~$2000 from a mutual fund my mother set up to leave a small legacy.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:38 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Nope...nada...nuthin'.