Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Did you faithfully tithe/give money away while saving for the retirement?
I didn't give a penny? 29 23.20%
I gave less than 10% 75 60.00%
I gave 10% 8 6.40%
I gave more than 10% 13 10.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Did you tithe while saving for FIRE?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

The levites could receive tithes because they had no increase, but had to trust God for their inheritance. The other Israelites gave tithes because they had an inheritance, but had to trust God for an increase. Today, the "laymen" still have to give a tithe and still trust God for their increase, but the "church staff" receives the tithe and takes inheritances among the people. Somehow our leaders have taken the doctrine of tithing and fit it into the gospel the comfortably fits their circumstances.

The NT way of giving is supposed to be only by freewill offerings, because we all are priests, and are only wandering in a wilderness waiting to cross the Jordon to receive our eternal inheritance. While in the wildreness, Israel only gave freewill offerings. they did not give the tithe until they crossed the jordon and entered the promised land. So it would make sense that as God's chosen people we give our offerings freely and cheerfully, and then when we receive our eternal inheritance in heaven of jewels and crowns then we throw them at the high priests feet.

tithe offerings
jbbaab44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbaab44
The levites could receive tithes because they had no increase, but had to trust God for their inheritance. The other Israelites gave tithes because they had an inheritance, but had to trust God for an increase. Today, the "laymen" still have to give a tithe and still trust God for their increase, but the "church staff" receives the tithe and takes inheritances among the people. Somehow our leaders have taken the doctrine of tithing and fit it into the gospel the comfortably fits their circumstances.

The NT way of giving is supposed to be only by freewill offerings, because we all are priests, and are only wandering in a wilderness waiting to cross the Jordon to receive our eternal inheritance. While in the wildreness, Israel only gave freewill offerings. they did not give the tithe until they crossed the jordon and entered the promised land. So it would make sense that as God's chosen people we give our offerings freely and cheerfully, and then when we receive our eternal inheritance in heaven of jewels and crowns then we throw them at the high priests feet.

tithe offerings
My point was not to have a theological discussion. I was simply currious about giving while saving for retirement. And the effect it has on saving.
rw86347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

My point was not to have a theological discussion. I was simply currious about giving while saving for retirement. And the effect it has on saving.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's certainly possible, and maybe even probable that the person who does not give generously ends up with a bigger pile of money. But I would be willing to bet that the person who practices generosity throughout life, while maybe having less actual dollars in their pile in the end than the other person , will feel more secure, less fearful of not having enough, and, in general will feel more satisfaction with life.

It's a funny thing, but clutching on to things, trying to get more and more for ourselves, seems to feed fear, seems to feed that hungry ghost of "not enough" disease, and no matter how big the pile gets, it never feels like enough for the person to truly feel secure. I've known people with multimillions who still buy lottery tickets, because with all they have, it still doesn't feel like enough.

Only generosity, only practicing abundance in your life seems to address that "not enough" disease. And when one is free of the hole in the soul of "not enough", life will feel abundant, even if the actual dollars are less.

I don't know why it works that way, but it really does. The only cure for that feeling that you need to grasp hold of every penny is to give some away. It works like magic, and somehow, when you do, there is always enough.

It has nothing to do with religion to us. It is just the way the Universe works.

LooseChickens
loosechickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love giving money away......I have found that if you have both hands clutched tightly over what you have.....you don't have one hand open to receive any blessings.

My mother is horrified at what I give away....I hate a lot of clutter and sometimes, I get a little carried away with books and clothes...but I don't bring any in without giving some away. The more I do this....the more I have...I don't question it!

I know this girl....just turned 30 makes about 95K a year and is always complaining how she does not have enough to survive in NJ! What a crock of doo doo
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:11 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I give both my time and money to a variety of charities (retiring in 15 years). But I don't tithe.

Karen
Old 12-07-2007, 12:45 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post
My weakness is I really like to make sure that she has enough because when we were growing up, I know she never shop for herself...her money is basically household money spent on food. We get new clothes probably twice a year....now that I can afford it, I think it's time to spoil her. By the way, she's 62, great health.
Not weakness, it's love. That's really sweet of you and great that she's still able to enjoy. My mom didn't live long enough for me to do any of that, even though she had the money to spare. We were still so young and hardly making enough to pay the mortgage.
retiringby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:35 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I tithe 10% to the church, then give about 4-6% to charity. Feels good to be able to help and to "give back".

When I was starting out I was broke. Moved into the spare room at friends house, mooched meals, etc. Never took government assistance. Once I started to "make it on my own" it became part of my lifestyle to help others. Over the years I have taken in 6 young people and helped them to get their finances back on track. Don't regret any of it and feel all the richer for it.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:39 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My DH and I have always given a lot to charity, both in the form of cash donations and through volunteer work. We managaged to save enough to be about to retire very soon in our early 50s. I believe it actually helped our ER plans in a couple of ways. First of all, when w*ork seemed unbearable, we had the joy derived from our volunteer activities to sustain us. This allowed us to remain balanced and view w*ork not as the center of our lives, but as one part that helped support more important goals. Secondly, now that we are nearing retirement, our volunteer activities will keep us active and engaged in the community.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:40 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I chose "less than 10%" because over our lives, I'm sure it's averaged less than 10%, however, it's over 10% now as we near retirement. We give to the church, and to a few other chosen organizations. We also donate our time to worthy causes, and that will increase when we RE. I'm sure it's affected our retirement assets some, but we have no regrets. My personal satisfaction in giving outweighs any reduction in retirement assets.....
Old 12-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I too said not a penny, because to me, tithe means giving to religious organizations. I do however give to several charities and NPO's every year.
Getting short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:43 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
I tithe 10% to the church, then give about 4-6% to charity. Feels good to be able to help and to "give back".
This is where/how I hope to be. In the thread w/the poll, I indicated that I'm at 4% to church, but when I add in the cash donations made to other organizations, it's probably around 7%, but in any case... it's just so hard to give up that entire 10%, which is what I've always been taught.
retiringby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

A lot of very generous people on this thread. Congratulations!

Ha
Old 12-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't do traditional giving but I do try to kind of pass on the good fortune. My latest project was sponsoring my friend to move states so she could get a job in her field. It was expensive but well worth it. That well exceeded 10% of my yearly income but she has the job and is living on her own now. I don't know how selfless that was though, I was rather tired of seeing all my friends fail when I had succeeded on my first try...

I also do the material good donations but that is more of a waste not, want not kind of thing.
Caoineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #34

Depending upon your denomination a tithe can be more or less than 10% based upon interpretation but it is generally considered to be at least 10%. Whatever your denomination, for me, it was all about the spirit of the gift. We always gave what we could and felt lead to give. I hope to be able to continue to spread the blessing as we have so richly been blessed. My understanding of the scriptures is to give as we are called since we all have different gifts from which to praise.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
Whatever your denomination, for me, it was all about the spirit of the gift. We always gave what we could and felt lead to give.
There ya go.......

As I mentioned in another post on a related thread, when DW and I were more active in chruch, we were members of a congregation which had many tradepersons, contractors, craftpersons, etc. Our cash flow wasn't very impressive, but our building was expanded several times at low cost with volunteer help and superbly maintained. Then, the building was used for a number of purposes to benefit the community. We also did a lot of work at a sister church in the inner city.

I understood why the church hierarchy in the offices downtown wanted more cash. They were, of course, those worthless white collar types (at least that's how we pictured them!) and had to be excused because their experience in the world was so limited. I agreed with some of it, didn't agree with other parts. But, fund raising wasn't our thing and we did it our way........ And felt good about it!
Old 12-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #36

I said 'not a penny' as well, because I would never give a dime to organized religion. But I have given to selected charitable organizaions* regularly for decades, and more irregularly to my alma mater building and scholarship fund.

* locally focused on service organizations helping families (women's shelter mostly) in distress and the homeless.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
I would never give a dime to organized religion.
How about disorganized religion?

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #38

We do have our share of "religious nuts" in Canada but overall we are a secular society.

Case in point, religious talk by Canadian politicians is a "kiss of death".

On the other hand, an Atheist in America is "dead on arrival" in politics.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
I said 'not a penny' as well, because I would never give a dime to organized religion.

I'm with you, not a penny.

Don't know how it works in USA but I think, in Canada, they (Edit add churches) should be subject to corporate and property tax as well, also money donated to churches should not be deductable as 'charity'.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #40

Less than 10% for me also. We gave little or nothing when we could not afford it. The priority was getting our financial house in order and not needing charity. After we got our act together we did give and once we FIRED we continue to give. It is an item in our budget.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.