Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by arky View Post
Since my gifts have always been "modest", I have continued to give at the same rate for the five years I have been retired.
Same here, with one twist: Starting this year, I will be itemizing my deductions only in the odd-numbered years so I have shifted one of my late-year donations to January 2013 so I can deduct it in a year I itemize. Next year's regular one I will make in early December.

Anyone else try to bunch their donations to take advantage of "bunching?"

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
We set up a charitable gift account at Vanguard a couple years prior to retirement and funded it with some appreciated stock. Since I knew my tax rate was going to go way down, I pre-funded about 15 years of our "typical" donations. This was in 2007 so we lucked out in terms of valuations. We still so some outside the account but larger ones are funded through the account.

jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #23
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
Somewhat less $$, but lots more time volunteered.
In 2011, I brought in $7000 in income for our volunteer fire dept, so I never wrote a check. Plus I sit on the fire dept board, fight fires, and Search and Rescue for our county.
For me experiences are not good or bad, just different
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #24
Will be less $ but greater %, going from about 8 to about 11. No counting the funding of church operations for us.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mine is lower now than it was pre 2008. When I was working I didn't really have time or inclination to donate more than United Way, and small amounts to a few others.

I really had planned on donating a decent chunk of my highly appreciated Intel stock to charitable giving trust, but now that stock is yielding 4% I hate to give up the income.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #26
Most people like to give around year end and Holiday time.....I'm the same.

We try to give each quarter of the year. Our charities (food bank is a favorite) need the gifts more at times other than the Holiday's and year end when most people become charitable. And, we're fortunate......we can afford to continue giving in retirement.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #27
When there's little way to recoup $$$ due to age or infirmity, it becomes more important to be judicious, lest one become a donee, rather than a donor.

Less in dollars, more in good works. Much in goods, to places like Goodwill or in our case PADS (a homeless shelter funded by a resale shop.)

Dollars go to Salvation Army... where we know the dollars go to the recipients.
Charity ratings here:
A to Z Charity Listing - CharityWatch
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
Definitely less for the reasons others have mentioned. I volunteer at an animal shelter, a literacy program and an elementary school so I hope the hours spent "count" as my donation. Still donate $ to my church.
PawPrint53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets
INTERESTING thread. We generally pegged our giving to a kind of "net earnings" - gross less the deferral to 457 / 401(k). AND now that we are in the mode of a (hopefully) gradual draw down, I treat that as "earned income" for purposes of charitable givings - so we are giving the same $$ and about the same % of cash flowing through the checking account.

AWeinel is offline   Reply With Quote