Did your charitable contributions change once you retired?

Most people like to give around year end and Holiday time.....I'm the same.

We try to give each quarter of the year. Our charities (food bank is a favorite) need the gifts more at times other than the Holiday's and year end when most people become charitable. And, we're fortunate......we can afford to continue giving in retirement.

When there's little way to recoup $$$ due to age or infirmity, it becomes more important to be judicious, lest one become a donee, rather than a donor.

Less in dollars, more in good works. Much in goods, to places like Goodwill or in our case PADS (a homeless shelter funded by a resale shop.)

Dollars go to Salvation Army... where we know the dollars go to the recipients.
Charity ratings here:
A to Z Charity Listing - CharityWatch

Definitely less for the reasons others have mentioned. I volunteer at an animal shelter, a literacy program and an elementary school so I hope the hours spent "count" as my donation. Still donate $ to my church.

INTERESTING thread. We generally pegged our giving to a kind of "net earnings" - gross less the deferral to 457 / 401(k). AND now that we are in the mode of a (hopefully) gradual draw down, I treat that as "earned income" for purposes of charitable givings - so we are giving the same $$ and about the same % of cash flowing through the checking account.

Back
Top Bottom