Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2019, 08:27 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

55 with at least 30 years to avoid a penalty, although one could retire earlier but be penalized.

I took a year leave without pay just before turning 54 and then officially retired at 55 with 34+ years.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
Rule of 85 at my place. You had to be 55 with at least 30 years of service (55+30=85) to get a full pension. I left at 56, worked one extra month just to make sure but took vacation for that last month!
Identical here. Rule of 85. I left at 56, too. I kept my "OMY" promise.

There was also a "Rule of 90" which gave you the "full" health care benefit. By the time I left, "full" had been watered down to a fixed amount, which was a fraction of the true full cost. And the penalty (extra cost for health plan) for each year you left early wasn't significant enough to be a deciding factor.

I guess, years ago, there really was a fully-paid retiree health plan. Those days are long gone. And those of us who are still due a pension are dwindling down. New employees haven't had that for years.

The OMY temptation was strong. Wait until the next calendar year and you get a bump in pension. Wait until Spring when bonuses come out so you don't leave that money on the table. Hang on through June to get your five weeks of vacation pay. Wait until your anniversary month and you get another bump in pension. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
Rule of 85 at my place. You had to be 55 with at least 30 years of service (55+30=85) to get a full pension. I left at 56, worked one extra month just to make sure but took vacation for that last month!
One of my former megacorps was similar. Your age plus years of service had to be above 85, and the age must be above 55 or something like that.

This means that the earliest age for retirement is 55, and one had to be working there since the age of 25. Basically, you had to be there your entire working life.

Regarding retirement healthcare, they eventually abolished that and gave retirees some money for them to go buy their own. I did not follow that closely, because I was way too far from retirement to be really concerned with it. There was a class lawsuit, but I do not know how it turned out.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
CSRS, Civil Service Retirement System, was age 55/30 years to get 55% of your high-3 salary (staying longer = higher percentage up to 65/80). There were situations where you could retire earlier (certain occupations, agency being RIFd, etc.) Also, I seem to recall there was a 50/20 option, although I don't recall how it worked.

CSRS has been gone so long that there is nobody left to "early-retire"

Oh Gosh. Everybody thinks CSRS is so great ( and it is actually), but FERS is pretty good too compared to almost everything else. All my Family is CSRS and they laud it over me all the time but what gets overlooked is that CSRS requires a significant employee contribution and no Soc Sec benefit in most cases.

When I started looking into my DB plan at Megacorp (as it was being frozen, grandfathered and eliminated for new hires) I realized it was a FREE benefit. I like Free! It also had an optional contribution with a phenomenal payout. Our plan was 85 points or age 55 w/ 10yrs. The age 55 benefit was severely reduced.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

At 55 and a minimum of 15 years of service we could "retire" and receive a 3/4 discounted pension and full medical benefits. A lump sum was not an option at 55. At 60, the pension was no longer discounted "or" you could now take it as a lump sum. Certain company "discount programs" would continue for life as a retiree.

Clearly my Mega corp wanted "most employees" to stay until 60. The sweet spot "as we called it" was between 60 and 62. After 62 the retirement calculation actually plateaued.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Our min age to get DB was age 55 and 10 years of service. 2% penalty per year for each year before age 60, so 10% penalty if retiring at 55. Also, company paid health care at 55 if you started working for company earlier than 2007.

Company had a union negotiated rule stating that if you were layed off, all retirement rules stay in tact for 6 years, so, if you were 49 when layed off, you could still retain all early retirement benefits at age 55. Our company offered a Voluntary Layoff (VLO) which I took at 52. Was FI, and just waiting for any reason to get out. Thank you Mega Corp!

DW organization (same company) was offered the VLO the following year. She jumped too. She started her pension (+healthcare for us) last February, and I will start pension next May (at age 55).

Do to jumping ship before 55, we did forgo the ability to tap our 401k until 59 1/2. No biggie, pensions + after tax savings/investments will easily bridge the gap.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #27

MegaCorp had minimum of 55 years, but benefits were reduced. "Normal" retirement age was 65. This assumes you took the annuity option. It was a defined contribution plan that you could either take cash balance (upon leaving company you could move to IRA or leave it sit with the company...which is what I've done) or annuitize it and take distributions starting as early as 55. There was no service requirement other than the 5 year vesting.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #28

My company was like the Supreme Court. Till death do us part. I departed
Old 09-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Oh Gosh. Everybody thinks CSRS is so great ( and it is actually), but FERS is pretty good too compared to almost everything else. All my Family is CSRS and they laud it over me all the time but what gets overlooked is that CSRS requires a significant employee contribution and no Soc Sec benefit in most cases.

When I started looking into my DB plan at Megacorp (as it was being frozen, grandfathered and eliminated for new hires) I realized it was a FREE benefit. I like Free! It also had an optional contribution with a phenomenal payout. Our plan was 85 points or age 55 w/ 10yrs. The age 55 benefit was severely reduced.
The old CSRS was far superior... 2X multiplier on YOS, vs 1X under FERS (1.1 for those after 62).... and they could retire as early as 56 with full benefits. The original FERS only required a smaller cost, but did require SS, so basically had the same employee costs as the old CSRS but with reduced benefits. (even the "supplement" to age 62 gave less than full "age 62 SS benefits", although it could be up to about 70% of them, at best). Remember that for a significant amount of your income, from SS, you need to wait until FRA or later to optimize ; so true "early retirees" needed to pile up a very large nest egg to make it. (while there is matching on their 401k equivalent, it's not significantly better than private sector.... for those in technical or STEM positions)

The current version requires a much higher contribution level (4 something percent) along with SS.... with potential to raise even higher. {It's easily argued that 4plus percent, invested by the employee at say 60/40 could approach or beat any benefits under the new system.... and the money would be yours! and could be inherited by your heirs, or could be used in some later date to purchase a SPIA that would give income higher than the pension, although with fewer protections and possibly missing tax breaks depending on the state}
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

A minimum age of 58 with 10 years of service gave me 50% medical until eligible for Medicare. No other benefits beyond that. Not complaining, happy to have reasonable costed medical ins.
Kabowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Where I worked, retiree healthcare had a minimum. I had to be 55...Pension was a vested benefit, so there was no age stipulation.
This was my situation. Age 55 was the threshold I was waiting to cross.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH pension is 3% per year at 50yo can’t work a day past 60yo. New guys have to wait till 55 or 57 depending on what year they started and there is now a cap on the max dollar amount. No lump sum option.

My tiny pension was 1.4% at 65 vested after 5 years you can take 50% reduction at 55yo. I will wait till 65 to collect $1.2 k a month
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #33

Quote:

Definitely not free. DH has contributed 420k over his working career to fund his pension. And yes that amount was solely contributed by him. That’s an average of 14k a year. This year alone his contribution is over 20k. Stay past the max % you still contribute.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #34

To retire and start your pension, which is the only way to start the retiree medical, you must have 30 years of service, or be at least 55 with 15 years of service. The early start penalty is 4% per year from age 62 (full retirement age IF you hit one of the two targets.)

But, our pensions are being frozen on 12/31/19.
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Back when my Megacorp provided pensions, I believe you were vested after 5 years and could retire and start receiving a reduced pension after 30 years with no age limit, or at 55 with at least 15 years of service.

The pension maxed out at age 65. If I had retired after 30 years (age 51) I would have received about 58% of the age 65 amount. When I did retire at 60 I received 98% of the age 65 amount. For me it wasn't worth working another 5 years for that additional 2%.

I believe the earliest age you could receive the vested pension if you left after being vested and before retirement was 55. A sister worked for around 8 years at the same Megacorp, she turned 55 this year and we discussed her options of taking it now or waiting until age 65.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
But, our pensions are being frozen on 12/31/19.
Ugh. Sorry. Did they just do an across the board freeze for all employees of all ages? My megacorp often has some grandfathering into their changes though I never seem to be on the right end of that!

Wish I had 30 years with no age limit I'd be out very soon!
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:12 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Layed off age 50 after 23 years of service. No healthcare. Took early pension at 55. After 12 years bought some Blue-Cross/Blue-shield in Kansas City at age 62.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:25 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

No minimum age for anything except you had to be 18 to get hired.

No pension, no retired medical, just the 401K. Microcorp.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:20 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Back when my Megacorp provided pensions, I believe you were vested after 5 years and could retire and start receiving a reduced pension after 30 years with no age limit, or at 55 with at least 15 years of service.

The pension maxed out at age 65. If I had retired after 30 years (age 51) I would have received about 58% of the age 65 amount. When I did retire at 60 I received 98% of the age 65 amount. For me it wasn't worth working another 5 years for that additional 2%.

I believe the earliest age you could receive the vested pension if you left after being vested and before retirement was 55. A sister worked for around 8 years at the same Megacorp, she turned 55 this year and we discussed her options of taking it now or waiting until age 65.

Huh? I think we had the same megacorp. The pension was completely frozen at ye 2007.
Iirc no one got service credit or earnings credit after that.
So if one was pension eligible starting in a year after 2007 the benefit amount should have been the same whether they retired in 2008 or 2018
The only factor would be that they needed to be eligible in both years (ie 30 years any age or 55 age w 15 years)

What am I missing?
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:35 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh Gosh. Everybody thinks CSRS is so great ( and it is actually), but FERS is pretty good too compared to almost everything else. All my Family is CSRS and they laud it over me all the time but what gets overlooked is that CSRS requires a significant employee contribution and no Soc Sec benefit in most cases...
A while back, out of curiosity I looked into CSRS and FERS, although I was never a federal worker. I do not remember the details, only that they are better than SS, in terms of benefit/contribution ratio.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote