Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I just looked and am still at 58.5% stock. Need to shed a few hundred $K to get to my target. As I hold many individual stocks and sector ETFs, choosing which ones to pull trigger on takes a bit of thinking. It is harder than for an indexer to unload the entire S&P.

One thing for sure is that of all sectors, the group that has all members doing well over the last 12 months is utility, except for PG&E. That tells me investors have been turning defensive for a while.

On the other hand, you would think pharmaceuticals would do well, but as a group their performance is terrible. Perhaps the political climate is a stronger factor.

Stock or even sector picking ain't easy.
I had a lot of BX that I bought at a good price and it went crazy this year. I was up nearly 80% YTD so I took profit. I will buy back once the dust settles.

PG, SO, D, DUK have had a great year, too. I have been holding them for a few years - good div stocks.

I want the market to correct so I can buy back a little at a time. (I bought SP500 at 2500 when it fell last year and then sold it at 2800.) I am NOT greedy.
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2019, 04:46 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Fish View Post
I had a lot of BX that I bought at a good price and it went crazy this year. I was up nearly 80% YTD so I took profit. I will buy back once the dust settles.

PG, SO, D, DUK have had a great year, too. I have been holding them for a few years - good div stocks.

I want the market to correct so I can buy back a little at a time. (I bought SP500 at 2500 when it fell last year and then sold it at 2800.) I am NOT greedy.

Taking profits w/o being greedy-smart
Live Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:49 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Many posters agonize over the selection of an optimal WR. They want to die with the last penny spent. Knowing their date of death would let them do it.

However, I believe that if people know the exact date of their demise, many would become either despondent or insane. It's better not to know.

Knowing the future...date of demise? No, best to Live today but plan for tomorrow- oh, and have FUN!
Old 10-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Large View Post
Anybody else ever grow tired of the ‘bubble’ burst of the markets and think what’s wrong with just having 1mil instead of 2 or 3? Or $500k as a supplement to defined pension
At the beginning of 2018 I shifted to a more conservative 40/37/23 AA, as that is the level I could sleep with at night. With a pension, my target SWR was just over 2% for a comfortable retirement, and I had enough cash to not be forced to sell equities during a market downturn, before we choose to take SS. I am fine with hitting singles instead of going for the fences with a large stock AA at this point.

So far in almost 18 ER months, we have overestimated our cash needs by more than half, and they have been more than offset by our stock/bond market gains.The argument can be made that we should increase the stock allocation within our AA, especially since when we choose to take SS it plus pension and some interest/dividends will cover our comfortable living expenses not even counting cash. But I can only deal with the gyrations to a certain level, so we are choosing to stay the course with the AA that we have, maybe even a little less in stocks, as our goal is no longer to maximize our assets but to enjoy them.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Fish View Post

Lovely 80% return smart take profits my loaded shares of 1 stock has not blossom yet, but it will...I plan to take similar profits. Good for you...
Old 10-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
At the beginning of 2018 I shifted to a more conservative 40/37/23 AA, as that is the level I could sleep with at night. With a pension, my target SWR was just over 2% for a comfortable retirement, and I had enough cash to not be forced to sell equities during a market downturn, before we choose to take SS. I am fine with hitting singles instead of going for the fences with a large stock AA at this point.

So far in almost 18 ER months, we have overestimated our cash needs by more than half, and they have been more than offset by our stock/bond market gains.The argument can be made that we should increase the stock allocation within our AA, especially since when we choose to take SS it plus pension and some interest/dividends will cover our comfortable living expenses not even counting cash. But I can only deal with the gyrations to a certain level, so we are choosing to stay the course with the AA that we have, maybe even a little less in stocks, as our goal is no longer to maximize our assets but to enjoy them.
Your last sentence...goal is no longer to maximize our assets but to enjoy them Yes, that’s point on as I will end up doing the same- you take SS already? Still a decade away before early eligibility.