Join Early Retirement Today

Didn’t go cash stayed with AA any other Brave the market ER cohorts
Old 10-02-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Didn’t go cash stayed with AA any other Brave the market ER cohorts

So, I said I would hunker down, take profits off the table and go ultra conservative but it just really wasn’t my style of investing. Like many here, I subscribe to buy, hold, hold, maybe sell but more profits holding over time.
Projected targets over 5yr increments have mostly surpassed amount set but definitely over a ten year period. Now that I’ve actually retired (Circa April 18’)
I’m thinking about future ladder CD’s perhaps Vanguard and money market ultra conservative returns with a small consideration for inflation. Unique in DW and I household are two state pensions (CA) mine has an annual cola.
DW is currently still full-time maxing a 457b deferred and will catch-up her final 3yrs say 2021-2024.

Anybody else ever grow tired of the ‘bubble’ burst of the markets and think what’s wrong with just having 1mil instead of 2 or 3? Or $500k as a supplement to defined pension?
We are over the million category but it’s taking another hit, thus the post.

Debt is low - asset only 3 properties
DTI is only 22% we really live below are means but enjoy luxury (spend) travel.

I like the burn the dough threads but how about using a 20yr spread? Think this market will take us for a doozy!
We still have relative high income $200k yr but in San Francisco Bay CA.
Gas is over $4 again...lol. Go electric?

I really like ER Welcome your posts contrast/similar/unique
Live Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Large View Post
....but it’s taking another hit, thus the post. ...
Please elaborate. Also, what is your AA?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

As stated multiple times, I am a boring, LTBH, low cost, well-diversified, passive index investor. I've been 100% stocks for long periods of time, have been between 90/10 and 100/0 since at least 1987. I'm currently 93/7, with a lazy intent to get to 97/3.

I watch the market with bemusement, but have never changed my AA based on it's behavior and don't plan to start.

What do you mean by "a 20yr spread" ?

Yes, the market was down yesterday and probably down a percent or two today (haven't checked the close). It was down in Q4 2018. It was down in 2016, 2015, 2008-2009, 2001, 1993?, 1987, 1974, etc. The many up days and the up years after the down years don't get anywhere near as much news, but the math still works.

Gas here is somewhere around $2.70. I drive about 11K miles a year and my $2,500 26 year old sedan gets 20 mpg, so that's $1,507 in gas a year. Not really an issue. The payback on a $50K Tesla isn't there if you're just looking at dollars and cents: ($50K - $2.5K) / $1,507 is a long time. If you buy the argument that it's better for the environment, that could be a different discussion.

Yup, SFO is expensive. Maybe consider living somewhere else. "It's not what you make, it's what you keep."
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Live Large,
I think I catch your drift. Personally I stashed 25 years expenses in a 7 year CD ladder. The rest I'll just let ride in equities for the long run. Meanwhile I'm fortunate enough to live on the interest and dividends. At least until the yields collapse to zero. Then I'll tap the principal. After that the downside sets in but I'll be dead anyway. ☺
Old 10-02-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
So, I said I would hunker down, take profits off the table and go ultra conservative but it just really wasn’t my style of investing.

I’m thinking about future ladder CD’s perhaps Vanguard and money market ultra conservative returns with a small consideration for inflation.
Is that your style?
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
As stated multiple times, I am a boring, LTBH, low cost, well-diversified, passive index investor. I've been 100% stocks for long periods of time, have been between 90/10 and 100/0 since at least 1987. I'm currently 93/7, with a lazy intent to get to 97/3.

Thats pretty much where I'm at as well.
Do you draw down from that portfolio as well?
FREE866 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So, I said I would hunker down, take profits off the table and go ultra conservative but it just really wasn’t my style of investing. Like many here, I subscribe to buy, hold, hold, maybe sell but more profits holding over time.
For better or worse, the '08/'09 debacle emboldened me to hold at 60/35/5. "Don't just do something; stand there!". "Over time" is the key phrase; there might be 2 or 3 or 5 flat years, but over time it tends to pay off.

We live off our dividends and interest and I only sell shares to rebalance and/or get rid of a dog and buy something showing more promise.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Thats pretty much where I'm at as well.
Do you draw down from that portfolio as well?
Well, I try.

I lead a boring life in a LCOL area.

My gross withdrawal rate (spending / portfolio) is currently 2.43%.

I also have some income that doesn't come from my portfolio. That offsets most of my spending.

My net withdrawal rate ( (spending - non-portfolio income) / portfolio) is currently 0.77%.

Since I FIRE'd in February 2016, the market has been kind to me. I understand that could change.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:47 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Please elaborate. Also, what is your AA?
Over weighted exposure in stocks 80/15/5%cash down 7% right now but I sleep 💤 well q I just felt I got a little greedy and should’ve cashed out but like to ride the wave 🌊 peaks some valleys back to peak
Old 10-04-2019, 12:17 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post

I watch the market with bemusement, but have never changed my AA based on it's behavior and don't plan to start.

What do you mean by "a 20yr spread" ?

Yes, the market was down yesterday and probably down a percent or two today (haven't checked the close). It was down in Q4 2018. It was down in 2016, 2015, 2008-2009, 2001, 1993?, 1987, 1974, etc. The many up days and the up years after the down years don't get anywhere near as much news, but the math still works.

Gas here is somewhere around $2.70. I drive about 11K miles a year and my $2,500 26 year old sedan gets 20 mpg, so that's $1,507 in gas a year. Not really an issue. The payback on a $50K Tesla isn't there if you're just looking at dollars and cents: ($50K - $2.5K) / $1,507 is a long time. If you buy the argument that it's better for the environment, that could be a different discussion.

Yup, SFO is expensive. Maybe consider living somewhere else. "It's not what you make, it's what you keep."
Got a lot from your comments, thanks. True on the market the math just works so I do sleep well - not as Long as you may have been bought & sold a few good stocks but I’m moving to hold longer dividend stock or Vanguard index - payment by spread I mean ROI for 20-25yrs not concerned if my principal goes to 0 at 80yrs old (if Alive) hence my moniker Live Large. My 457b is hedge on inflation on my pension that also has a cola. Roth IRA + 100k CS No, Tesla your right (math) Florida/Nevada
Old 10-04-2019, 12:32 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Live Large,
I think I catch your drift. Personally I stashed 25 years expenses in a 7 year CD ladder. The rest I'll just let ride in equities for the long run. Meanwhile I'm fortunate enough to live on the interest and dividends. At least until the yields collapse to zero. Then I'll tap the principal. After that the downside sets in but I'll be dead anyway. ☺
Yes Yes! Spend your hard earned cash, I mean why did we all save all these years 25-30 to leave money sitting around. Can’t spend it all? Give it away while you here.
I’m ok if my ROI burns thru the principal within 20-25yrs once I start to withdraw in a couple years. ER’s at 51 start using at 55 won’t wait till forced make min w/d 70.5
No, enjoy the fruits while I can hike explore youthful physical capabilities very active
Travels include a first class ticket flight on occasion ��
Old 10-04-2019, 12:43 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
For better or worse, the '08/'09 debacle emboldened me to hold at 60/35/5. "Don't just do something; stand there!". "Over time" is the key phrase; there might be 2 or 3 or 5 flat years, but over time it tends to pay off.

We live off our dividends and interest and I only sell shares to rebalance and/or get rid of a dog and buy something showing more promise.
I subscribe to your Live Well by Living Large!
Plan to spend beyond the interest return 20yrs
Old 10-04-2019, 12:50 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Is that your style?
No, much more of a high risk that has endured a few huge swings but such eventual new highs make me think I should become conservative- how much more needed?
Still live far below annual income way of lifestyle now but like the Blow that Dough threads...lol.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:27 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Over weighted exposure in stocks 80/15/5%cash down 7% right now but I sleep [emoji99] well q I just felt I got a little greedy and should’ve cashed out but like to ride the wave [emoji305] peaks some valleys back to peak

Umm, what’s happening now is minor volatility. The fact that you are even discussing not changing your AA during this “valley” may be an indication that you might be more likely to change it during a real 20-50% downturn?
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:33 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Over weighted exposure in stocks 80/15/5%cash down 7% right now but I sleep �� well q I just felt I got a little greedy and should’ve cashed out but like to ride the wave �� peaks some valleys back to peak
How in the world can you be down 7% right now?

Even from its peak around July 27th the stock market is only down about 3.9% but is up over 16% for the year to date.

Poor stock picking?

Old 10-04-2019, 05:36 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes Yes! Spend your hard earned cash, I mean why did we all save all these years 25-30 to leave money sitting around. Can’t spend it all? Give it away while you here. ...
Totally agree... I saved it to spend it in retirement, not to hoard it.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:46 AM   #17

I'm about to FIRE and have gone from 80% to 42% equities over the last year and a half. I'm at around 70X required expenses (inc taxes) in my stash, so I'm playing it conservative, as that leaves still leaves plenty for discretionary.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #18
gone traveling

Last September, I commented how I was up 19% YTD, and was thrilled with 100% growth equities (trying to make up for years of non-investing). Needless to say, October/November 2018 took everyone on a ride, and December rebounded slightly, but still ended the year at only 8% YTD (down 10% from September).

This year in September I was up 24.5% and loving life, I kept hearing/seeing threatening news that was effecting the market, and decided to trust my gut. I went to 90% income securities, and have missed most of the rough down days so far. Maybe December/Christmas will bring a new growth pattern that I can get back in....we will see, but in the meantime, I have preserved some sizeable profits.

I also live a boring life in a LCOL area, and live pretty frugally compared to most, just trying to be able to F.I.R.E. with confidence and live comfortably.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:23 AM   #19

Haven't held cash in decades.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:14 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
How in the world can you be down 7% right now?

Even from its peak around July 27th the stock market is only down about 3.9% but is up over 16% for the year to date.

Poor stock picking?
I have 1 large holding I’m awaiting next two ER for it to blossom- it has Me at the -7 but I’m ok with it. Like I’ve posted I do 💤 well.