Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 When stocks tanked, my AA was screaming at me to rebalance by selling bonds and buying stocks, but I couldn't get up the courage to do so - so I just hung in there. Better than many others I knew who bailed and never got back in for the rally but not near as good as where I would be today if I had "listened" to my AA.
True. I was doing good to just hang on with all the talk about another great depression. Took a lot of good meds to do it.

As far as taking some chips off the table when the stock market is at an all time, I see nothing wrong with that. Just call it rebalancing and all is good. But to cash completely out would be painful even if I wanted to. Painful from the tax stand point. Plus most of my stocks spit out dividends which is a component of my home brewed annuity.

Full time wuss............
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...
Cashing all out at what one thinks is a market top is just as bad as going "all in" when one thinks is a market bottom.

One only makes a 100% bet when one is 100% sure (Kelly Criterion again). And since when does one know anything with such certainty?

"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...
Just keeping my fingers crossed that we get a nice Santa Claus rally - or at least stay up here, into early Jan so I can do a withdrawal and rebalance with things still "happy".

That is like "taking some off the table". Especially when you are pulling a set % out of your portfolio each year. You want to take out your "raise" before you get a pay cut which would happen with a market selloff during the next year.

Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote