different retirement calculator

miki

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi FIREs

I have developed a spreadsheet that takes your (net after SS etc.) monthly expense, total yielding assets, age and life expectancy and return a Yield (%) that you have to achieve on your yielding assets in order to make it to your life expectancy age. Most calculators I have seen assume a historic ROR based on some assets allocation model and (and so does FIREcalc).​
Anybody seen a calculator that provides ROR as an answer?​
Do U consider it a helpful piece of information?​
Miki​

There are many ways to skin that cat, and yours is as good as any other. I definitely want to enter my rate of return and I know what rates of return I want my spreadsheet to assume (based on my AA and Rick Ferri's projected real returns for the next 30 years).

My spreadsheet takes as inputs: current age, retirement age, end of plan age (when I go poof), inflation, rate of return, current taxable assets, current deferred assets, pension value, my SS and my wife's SS with starting ages, SS reduction (I use 50% of what my statement projects) and all the additional savings while I'm working (taxable, IRA's, 401k, etc.). It also takes a table of 'special expenses' (adjusted for inflation) and the tax tables (adjusted by inflation +1%). I use conservative/pessimistic assumptions throughout. It knows to account for RMD and it then 'solves' for a starting after tax annual expenses (including special expenses) and inflates each year by the assumed inflation. If all goes according to plan I will die broke at 97. But again, many ways to approach this and there is no plan with a high probability of being correct 30-40 years out anyway, I know I'll need to be prepared to adjust for contingencies...

Thanks for the detailed answer. It seems you have closed all the windows and locked all the doors but are aware that ms. uncertainty may find a way to snick in anyway. With my model I don't have to assume long term ROR. If the number (currently 4.5% gross) is achievable I sleep well. If not I either adjust my expenses or take more risk this year. If I blow it I adjust next year.​
BTW FIREcalc gave me a 67% chance achieving my plan for the next 30 years (my horizon-88) but if I look at the Vanguard probability of living a selected number of years than 88 has a 26% chance for me. So, all in all I have only 8% of reaching 88 w/o a penny to my name (.26x.33) . I will take the risk. No need to adjust spending yet.​
Miki​

Back
Top Bottom