Join Early Retirement Today

Dining IN
Old 09-07-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Dining IN

Ok, "Dining Out" was/is a popular thread with 5 pages of coments. Lets see how this goes.

I define "Dining In" as obtaining food, either as a full meal or most of a meal and toting in home in a sack and consuming it at the kitchen table rather than at the cafe. Maybe Dining In has another defination, if so, please respond and set me straight.

We geneally take out food once a week. DW does the shopping at the grocery store each Thursday and stops by at the in-store deli or in-store Oriental place. She either gets fried chicken, rotisery chicken, or ribs at the deli or a combo meal (egg roll, fried rice and General Joe's Chicken/Lemon Chicken) at the Oriental food place. A loaf of fresh French bread is often part of the deal also.

Thursday is generally a busy day at our house so this insures that we are not cooking after getting the groceries put away at 7PM.

I am not sure if Dining-In is the same as getting Take-Out , but I use both terms the same way. How about you...?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Dining IN
Old 09-07-2006, 03:32 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
I define "Dining In" as obtaining food, either as a full meal or most of a meal and toting in home in a sack and consuming it at the kitchen table rather than at the cafe.
Does consuming the contents of the sack while standing at the kitchen sink count?

Old 09-07-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Quote:
Does consuming the contents of the sack while standing at the kitchen sink count?
...ahhhh only if you are eating (dining in on ) a ripe mango

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Friday night Costco pizza with frozen yogurt.

$14.27, feeds three with leftover breakfast/lunch & snacks.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

The local grocery store has a good soup and salad bar. I make chef salads with spinach instead of lettuce.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:53 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We've become proficient at Birdseye Garlic Chicken and Contessa'a Shrimp Primavera, both purchased at Costco's. A salad, French Bread, and some wine and voila! Life is good.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I like watching a show we have on cable called unwrapped.They visit all kind of eateries all over the country.Damn some of that stuff looks awesome and so we order on line and fly it in.We just saw the special on best barbacue places and so we orderd a rib dinner from corkys in memphis.OOOOOH MAN* was that good,we had it next day,it came all packed in dry ice and it was so good.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

mathjak -- that gives new meaning to dining in!! We watch that program occasionally, but never thought to place an order -- maybe we'll try that one of these days.

We do the rotisery chicken a couple times a month -- since we buy it at the grocery or costco, it goes in the grocery category, not dining out.
Mary E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:06 PM   #9

Quote:
I am not sure if Dining-In is the same as getting Take-Out , but I use both terms the same way. How about you...?
No, we never have any take-out. We enjoy eating in since we both enjoy cooking but not necessary washing the dishes.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
I almost never go with take out. If I get in the car and go out, I may as well dine out and get the full service. On the other hand, we "order out" frequently; generally pizza or Thai, both of which weather the delivery process quite well. On Pizza I can pretty well match Nord's Costco prices. I fall behind after the tip (I am generous) but that is worth the advantage of letting my fingers do the walking.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:34 AM   #11

Sam's Club Pizza - $8.61 - feeds two. Twice

Mongolian Grill take-out - $9 - feeds two. Twice or thrice. We cook our own rice to accompany the mongolian.

Fast food burgers - $5-6 or so for dollar menu burgers/fries for two.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

After many years of trying, we've finally succeeded in making home-made pizza* that's as good as take out, so the cost is < $2 per pizza, and we haven't gotten pizza from a restaurant for a long time.

*Start with dough from bread machine, go easy on the tomato sauce, plenty of mozzarella cheese, some olive oil, plus caramelized onions, kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, etc.* Bake it on a screen-type pizza pan.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
After many years of trying, we've finally succeeded in making home-made pizza* that's as good as take out, so the cost is < $2 per pizza, and we haven't gotten pizza from a restaurant for a long time.
Yes, but the point of the whole Friday-night pizza exercise is that no one has to cook!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Yes, but the point of the whole Friday-night pizza exercise is that no one has to cook!
And I don't know how your costco pizza is cooked, but I figure the ones I get have at least 1-1.5 lbs of sausage, pepperoni and bacon, plus ~1 lb cheese. Or mushrooms, peppers, onions and all the meats. These ingredients aren't cheap, with the meats and cheese running at least $3/lb for what you get. I don't think I could reproduce the raw ingredients for the pizza I buy from sams for less than what I pay for it cooked. Or at least if I did the savings would be so marginal that it wouldn't be worth it. We get 4 very large servings out of the sam's club pizza. It must weigh 4+ pounds.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW and I do not do any 'dining in'. Her food allergies generally prohibit any kind of prepared foods that we do not know all ingredients of.

If we do not cook our meals essentially from basics at home, we go out to dine, partly as a break from the kitchen and partly as a form of entertainment.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:19 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

We bring home someting about once every other week. It's usually something like: u-bake pizza, KFC, Safeway Chinese deli food, sub sandwich, Costco Chicken or salad.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote