Join Early Retirement Today

"Direct" Deposit
Old 03-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #1

"Direct" Deposit

The new owner of my business will be sending me a check each month. To speed things up, I was thinking I'd just send him a bunch of deposit slips for my money market account, and have him send the money right to the mutual fund company.

Any reason not to do it that way?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: "Direct" Deposit
Old 03-21-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
The new owner of my business will be sending me a check each month. To speed things up, I was thinking I'd just send him a bunch of deposit slips for my money market account, and have him send the money right to the mutual fund company.
Just one more person with your name and account number.

Did you ask him if his bank can set up an automatic monthly electronic transfer to your MMF? Maybe you can set it up on his behalf other than signing the authorization. Just a thought.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Iíve had a similar situation for a consulting business and electronic direct deposit has been great. I prefer it to paper deposits.

Musician and Writer

piano88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Did you ask him if his bank can set up an automatic monthly electronic transfer to your MMF?
That's absolutely the best way to do it. Our tenants paid their rent that way.

Painless, you're not worrying about their memory, and they fear the bank's EFT penalties a lot more than they care about you...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That's absolutely the best way to do it. Our tenants paid their rent that way.
Did that cost you any extra? I am buying a rental house and was wondering if I could do that without being charged fees.

thanks,
Old 03-21-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnkrealtor
Did that cost you any extra? I am buying a rental house and was wondering if I could do that without being charged fees.
Didn't cost us anything to receive the payment, although I don't know if it cost the tenants anything to send it.

They were "busy" once and missed a payment. This was the corrective action.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As long as the new owner of your business isn't from Nigeria and didn't find your business listing on craigslist.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:49 PM   #8

I can't think of how that could be problematic, but it registers real low on the feelgood scale.

I'd rather set up a payment through the bank...it should be doable. Don't know if this helps, but I got confused about "direct" "wire" and "automated clearning house" transfers and read up on them at wikipedia. ACH takes a day or two but is cheap and reliable and should be arrangeable between the banks or via online banking. Wire/EFT costs more (several bucks..maybe even double-digit bucks) and is more or less immediate. Looking at my bank statements, my "direct deposit" paycheck and all automatic payments are ACH transfers.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:11 PM   #9

Just to be extra careful, what I did in the past was have my renter deposit the rent into my savings account at Wells Fargo, which is normally empty. Then I transfer the money into my checking account and I get the money without having to give out the number of any account with money in it.

I have also used that strategy when I sold a car over the internet to a guy across the country... he wired the money into my otherwise empty savings account and I swept it out of the account as soon as I could.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:30 AM   #10

I had one landlord that had me pay all rent through paypal. All I needed was his Yahoo email address. It worked great. And cost neither of us anything. And there was an electronic record of payment and email notification.

Kramer
Old 03-22-2006, 07:40 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
I had one landlord that had me pay all rent through paypal. All I needed was his Yahoo email address. It worked great. And cost neither of us anything. And there was an electronic record of payment and email notification.
Well, the payee does pay a small fee to paypal, I believe. No big deal and well worth it but he/she needs to be willing to take that small hit in return for the convenience. Or, raise the rent by a percent or two.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:23 AM   #12

The amounts of the check will be different each month, so the EFT option won't work.* Vanguard says that I'd have to get his bank info, and initiate the transfer each month.

Paypal charges the money recipient about 2.9%, so that's not an option for me.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The amounts of the check will be different each month, so the EFT option won't work.* Vanguard says that I'd have to get his bank info, and initiate the transfer each month.
Sounds like more of that great Vanguard customer service.

The guy who's trying to pay you should be able to have his bank (or his credit union, or just about any financial institution) initiate an electronc transfer (I think I mean an ACH transaction) of the funds every month. It's just like paying a bill, but with electrons instead of a paper check.

You'd have to supply him with the account number and the routing transaction number of the financial institution where you wanted the money to land. That could be Vanguard or any other financial institution whose data you feel comfortable giving to the guy.

Then you don't have to listen to "the check is in the mail". You just wait a business day after the transaction for your financial institution's website to update, then call up your payer and politely inquire as to where the @#%$ your money is.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:54 PM   #14

I think paypal only charges if you have upgraded your account with a credit or debit card or you are a business (and thus can accept credit cards, etc). For individuals with regular accounts, I do not believe there is a charge.

Kramer
Old 03-23-2006, 05:55 AM   #15

I learned something new... paypal has two kinds of accounts:* personal accounts can't receive credit card payments but have no fees.* *Premier accounts (which most people use) can receive credit card payments, but charge about 3% on all monies received.

They don't charge anything to the sender as far as I can tell.

The hitch is that personal accounts can only receive $500 per month so wouldn't work unless the rent is low in this case. And apparently ebay doesn't allow people to use personal accounts to sell items.

Here's a forum thread with the details:

http://www.vendio.com/mesg/read.html...&thread=634040
Old 03-23-2006, 10:44 AM   #16

Thanks for that info, Nords. I called Vanguard back and discussed it more.

It's true that anyone can initiate an ACH-type funds transfer, and that I could put in the routing and account number for my VG money market account. But VG tells me that since they are not a bank, that transfer would be rejected.

I could however, set up a "direct deposit source" [sic] and use that routing number, or open up a Vanguard Advantage account, which is like a checking account, and have the money go there.

Just getting a check in the mail is starting to sound simpler at this point. Mailing slips of paper back and forth is so twentieth century, but whatever.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:27 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for that info, Nords.* I called Vanguard back and discussed it more.*
I'm glad you asked the question... I know Vanguard doesn't have to offer these services, but it's become a big convenience with Fidelity to be able to pay bills & move money around.

If I'd been contemplating a move to Vanguard I'd have had to figure out another way to handle billpaying (perhaps with my credit union, but perhaps not for free), and although VG's expense ratios might be better, the hassle factor would have been pretty high. The investments I hold at Fidelity wouldn't be any cheaper at VG, either, so now I know there's no incentive to change.