Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas
The lady immediately asked if I wanted a senior drink.
"Yes, I'd like a Geritol on the rocks."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
"Yes, I'd like a Geritol on the rocks."
Eeewww.

No Al, what you want is a "Mexican Faucet": 1 part prune juice, 1 part orange juice, 1 part tequila. Serve on the rocks with a twist of lemon.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Eeewww.

No Al, what you want is a "Mexican Faucet": 1 part prune juice, 1 part orange juice, 1 part tequila. Serve on the rocks with a twist of lemon.
OMG ROTFLMAO. which is worse, the drink or the name?
Old 02-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for this list. I'm 55 this year and my first senior discount is my monthly YWCA. With BCBS's discount for 12 uses per month plus the senior discount, my monthly fee for unlimited group classes, weights, pool, etc. is only $18.00! I think I'm gonna like being a senior (but not TOO senior).
Old 02-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

No one has mentioned the best discount of all - the one on your 1040:

Higher Standard Deduction for Age (65 or Older)
If you do not itemize deductions, you are entitled to a higher standard deduction if you are age 65 or older at the end of the year. You are considered 65 on the day before your 65th birthday. Therefore, you can take a higher standard deduction for 2011 if you were born before January 2, 1947.

IRS_Table_20.2
Old 04-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I asked about a senior discount coffee for the first time ever this morning, at Chick-fil-a. The cashier said the corporate office eliminated it nationwide last month. At least I tried.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
No one has mentioned the best discount of all - the one on your 1040:

Higher Standard Deduction for Age (65 or Older)
If you do not itemize deductions, you are entitled to a higher standard deduction if you are age 65 or older at the end of the year. You are considered 65 on the day before your 65th birthday. Therefore, you can take a higher standard deduction for 2011 if you were born before January 2, 1947.

IRS_Table_20.2
Simarlily, many states provide a discount on property taxes. I saw my assessment go up by $22K this year, so this is one time I would be willing to age 2 more years
Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I discovered that not every McDonalds offers the senior coffee either. It is up to the discretion of the owner.

And I've learned to ask everywhere if they have a senior discount. JoAnnes (fabric & craft) stores has one once a week, but it ismnot advertised anywhere that I've seen.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdunca44 View Post
JoAnnes (fabric & craft) stores has one once a week, but it is not advertised anywhere that I've seen.
How much is the discount?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
I asked about a senior discount coffee for the first time ever this morning, at Chick-fil-a. The cashier said the corporate office eliminated it nationwide last month. At least I tried.
Since I saw that Subway was listed on this thread, last week while ordering I asked my local Subway if they had a senior discount. The response was a guilty look, and the cashier said in a much heavier Indian accent than before, "I am new, I don't know!". Oh well.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Rrr View Post
I asked one time at our local AMC theater what the age for a senior ticket was and the teenager behind the cash register laughed (pleasantly) and said "Lady, if you're willing to say you're a senior, I'll give you the discount." So I did.
When I was in my early 50's I took my date (22 y/o) to the movies. I gave the cashier exact change for two tickets. She handed me my tickets and some coins back. I told her that I thought she had made a mistake and she proceeded to point to the line on the "price menu" that said Seniors (60+). I was very happy to receive the discount and told my girlfriend what a great country she lived in.

She then refused to be seen with me as we entered the theater and while I enjoyed getting the discount, I realized it would be more costly in the long run!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdunca44 View Post
I discovered that not every McDonalds offers the senior coffee either. It is up to the discretion of the owner.

And I've learned to ask everywhere if they have a senior discount. JoAnnes (fabric & craft) stores has one once a week, but it ismnot advertised anywhere that I've seen.
What are the particulars: age requirement; what day; % of discount; can it be used with they coupons?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
When I was in my early 50's I took my date (22 y/o) to the movies. I gave the cashier exact change for two tickets. She handed me my tickets and some coins back. I told her that I thought she had made a mistake and she proceeded to point to the line on the "price menu" that said Seniors (60+). I was very happy to receive the discount and told my girlfriend what a great country she lived in.

She then refused to be seen with me as we entered the theater and while I enjoyed getting the discount, I realized it would be more costly in the long run!

You're lucky the cashier didn't call the police, 22 years old, sheeeeesh!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
You're lucky the cashier didn't call the police, 22 years old, sheeeeesh!
I do so enjoy getting a rise from certain posters. Thanks, you made my day! Enjoy yours.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I do so enjoy getting a rise from certain posters. Thanks, you made my day! Enjoy yours.
All that really matters is that you can rise to the occassion.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #56

Saturday morning = Chic-Fil-A with 2 buttered biscuits and 2 coffees (+ refills + WiFi) for $1.84 Do the math
Old 04-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
That's the spirit! Don't give up!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Simarlily, many states provide a discount on property taxes. I saw my assessment go up by $22K this year, so this is one time I would be willing to age 2 more years
Yep! Just went to the township office a few weeks ago to start our "senior exemption." There are two levels depending on income. We got the smaller exemption but it'll still take between $200 and $300 off our taxes beginning this year (payable next year).

And almost as good, our town offers 50% off the garbage collection fee once you get the senior exemption on your property taxes. That's saving us about $3 per week and has already started. I guess they figure we geezers don't make as much garbage.......
Old 04-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
And almost as good, our town offers 50% off the garbage collection fee once you get the senior exemption on your property taxes. That's saving us about $3 per week and has already started. I guess they figure we geezers don't make as much garbage.......
Our village gives the first automobile sticker for free to seniors. And I mentioned before, discounted water/sewer rates.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I'm 53, so I never get a discount on my own. I suppose I could ask, but I'll wait for the official "double nickels" to arrive.
Mr B is 60, so he asks for and gets the discount without being proofed.
The cashier usually applies the discount to the entire check.