Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I'm 53, so I never get a discount on my own.
I'm willing to bet that senior discounts will be pretty much abolished right around the time I'm starting to become eligible for them.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Couple of days ago went to get a fishing licence. Normally it is $22 +9 for a trout stamp. Since i'll turn 65 in November. Go the Senior discount. $19 for all.

Like this senior stuff.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm surprised the thread has gone more than 60 posts without mention of one of the best Senior Discounts available anywhere: National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Senior Pass

For a one time fee of $10 at age 62, the pass provides free admission for life for you and everyone in your car or up to 3 others in your party if on foot, plus 50% discounts on other fees like camping.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm surprised the thread has gone more than 60 posts without mention of one of the best Senior Discounts available anywhere: National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Senior Pass

For a one time fee of $10 at age 62, the pass provides free admission for life for you and everyone in your car or up to 3 others in your party if on foot, plus 50% discounts on other fees like camping.
This is the one I'm waiting for as soon as I get to that magic age. I'm expecting it will change before I am eligible.

This is National Park Week so the parks are free to everyone through the weekend!
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
No one has mentioned the best discount of all - the one on your 1040:

Higher Standard Deduction for Age (65 or Older)
If you do not itemize deductions, you are entitled to a higher standard deduction if you are age 65 or older at the end of the year. You are considered 65 on the day before your 65th birthday. Therefore, you can take a higher standard deduction for 2011 if you were born before January 2, 1947.

IRS_Table_20.2
Only the federal government would decide you were 65 the day before you turned 65. No, no need to simplify the tax code. Why?

Cool list. Could you update it in about 9 to 16 years for me. Thanks!

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #66
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Cool list. Could you update it in about 9 to 16 years for me. Thanks!
If you want to start aging in dog years we could get an update out for you sooner
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

REW

I was just reviewing this thread and came across the "Mexican Faucet" cocktail recipe. You know with the prune juice in the mix you might rename it the "Leaky Mexican Faucet".

Just a thought.
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You think that might be redundant?
Old 04-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Good info. Remind me again in 2016.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Although I always ask for senior discounts, I find it kind of ironic that this isn't really the time of my life when I really need discounts. I have more disposable income now than when I was in my 20's - early 50's, raising kids, paying a mortgage, paying for college, etc. When I was younger was when I really needed the discounts.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #71
gone traveling

Quote:
Then don't you feel you are being unethical by taking advantage of the discounts?
No. I'm doing the legal thing. Just would like the laws to be different.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #72
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Although I always ask for senior discounts, I find it kind of ironic that this isn't really the time of my life when I really need discounts. I have more disposable income now than when I was in my 20's - early 50's, raising kids, paying a mortgage, paying for college, etc. When I was younger was when I really needed the discounts.
Which is why it shouldn't be this way.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Same here....
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #74

The discounts are not there to make these more fair or to reward people for being seniors (at least they should not be).
Discounts are targeted to increase business from a sector of the market that is harder to attract without the discount. That is the way smart businesses act in a free market.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
The discounts are not there to make these more fair or to reward people for being seniors (at least they should not be).
Discounts are targeted to increase business from a sector of the market that is harder to attract without the discount. That is the way smart businesses act in a free market.
+1 Kinda like sales. There to attract people that don't want to pay full price (some people do, but probably not many here)
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote