Discover Card - Get new one and get higher refund

Re: Discover Card - Get new one and get higher ref

Still not as good as my Citi card (5% on gas, supermarkets, drugstores) plus my Chase card (3% back on restaurants). And a lot of places don't take discover.

Soupcxan,
You got me.

On those credit cards what is the foreign exchange fee.
Do you know?

On most card it is 1% to Visa or Mastercard and then 2% to the company that issued the card.

I would love to find a credit card like the citi card and no 2% foreign exchange fee.

Soupcxan,
I can not find the Chase card with the 3% rest. cash back.
Do you have a link?
Thanks

For some reason Chase doesn't have it listed on their main site. Google for "chase profit apply" and you'll find several links to it. You can actually get the 3% back on other items but it's irrelevant if you have the Citi card at 5%. And I believe both these cards offer 1% back on everything else you buy.

The citi card does have a 2% foreign exchange fee...can't find any info on the Chase.

Soupcxan,
I can not find the Chase card with the 3% rest. cash back.
Do you have a link?
Thanks

You really have to read the fine print on some of these cards. The Chase "Ultimate Cash Award" card offers up to 5% back. But you'll only get that IF you run a balance on your account. If you run no balance you max out at 3%.

Furthermore, the rebates are tiered. Using their higher level rebates (gas, groceries, etc). You won't reach 3% until after you've charged more than $6000. For your first $2000 the rebate is only 0.5%.

These numbers may work for some just fine, but don't blindly follow the highest % rebate without reading the fine print.

I got the new Discover card today and the fine print.

For the first 1,500 spent you get 5% on gas and 1% on all other
for the second 1,500(total 3,000) you get 3% on gas and .5% on all others
Over 3,000 you get 1% on gas and .25% on all other

So, the plan is only to use this card for gas.
I estimate I spend 900 a year on gas.
I belive this gas savings applies to places like Kroger Gas stations (It is listed as a gas purchase on past statements) which give a 3 cent discount for its customers.

I checked the fine print on several of the 'better looking' cards and they also frequently say that purchases at 'warehouse, discount (etc)' stores are subject to the .25% rate. They dont say what their definitions of these types of stores are. They also specify that purchases for the gas, drug and grocery must be at a store which does that as their primary business.

In other words, sams club, wal mart, the gas stations at warehouse stores, the wal mart grocery stores and so forth are exempt.

I carry an MBNA "Double Cashback" card that gives back 1.0 cash (once a year) without any tiers.

It also doesn't charge any other fees for overseas transactions besides the 1% that Mastercard International charges it.

Customer service is also excellent. I've called them collect from Australia to correct a problem with my bank.

They also give 2% back if you maintain a balance, but I'm guessing there aren't too many on this board who would qualify for that!

Back
Top Bottom