Join Early Retirement Today

Discover Card saving/CD safe?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Discover Card saving/CD safe?

I did a search and found some people with bad experiences using Discover card savings and CD's, trouble getting money out, visibility on web, etc. Anyone here have recent experience good or bad?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It seems like all of the on-line banks get bad reviews, with similar sounding problems. I've had good experiences with both Ally and Capital One Direct.

But then again, I haven't tried to pull a lot of money out of either yet.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have had accounts at Discover Bank. Seems fine to me.

Ha
Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

My only issue with Discover was I could not transfer money online to/from my checking account. I had to use checks. This was back in 2008, though, so it may have changed since then.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've used Ally Bank as my money market account since they took over GMAC. Never had a problem. I transfer money from Ally to my bank in two days. FYI, when I transferred money from my local Bank of America into Ally Bank, it took three days and they chargd me a fee. I talked to Ally and they told me how to get around the fee. What I do now is have Ally request the funds from Bank of America. Still takes three days but no fee.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I have had accounts at Discover Bank. Seems fine to me.

Ha
CDs only for me but I echo haha's comment.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I've used Ally Bank as my money market account since they took over GMAC. Never had a problem. I transfer money from Ally to my bank in two days. FYI, when I transferred money from my local Bank of America into Ally Bank, it took three days and they chargd me a fee. I talked to Ally and they told me how to get around the fee. What I do now is have Ally request the funds from Bank of America. Still takes three days but no fee.
Yeah, I have the same issue with my main bank. Seems a lot of banks are happy to transfer money IN....but not so happy to transfer it OUT.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:36 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've had good experience with Discover Bank. I opened several long-term CD's with them about 10 years ago - got one CD with a 10-year fixed rate of 7.1%! (Wouldn't you love to have that now?) Still have a couple of long-term CD's, MM, and savings accounts with them. I have the savings account linked to my credit union checking account as well as Vanguard GNMA. Haven't had any problems getting money out, just seems to take longer (3-5 days) than it should. I've recently setup automatic monthly withdrawals with no problems. No fees if not over six withdrawals per month.