Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Where is that dentures in the tank story!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
About septic tanks and a well, I have lived in the suburb all my life and only recently learned about rural living when I bought my 2nd place in the high country. It is actually worry-free so far. There is nothing to fear.
Until you remove the cover....

Did I ever tell you about the 6 inch s**t snakes that are native to the Adirondacks?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Don't worry about me! Interactions that may seem like a problem to you, are simply a non-problem for us.
Cool. Just wondering, since you are the couple who want separate houses. I, on the other hand, am not so confident after reading about how people act in the tight confine of an RV or boat. Time will tell, I guess.

Hmm... Just wondering if that could be one of the reasons for the abundance of second-hand RVs.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Until you remove the cover....
When it comes to septic systems, there are no DIY projects.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I, on the other hand, am not so confident after reading about how people act in the tight confine of an RV or boat. Time will tell, I guess.

Hmm... Just wondering if that could be one of the reasons for the abundance of second-hand RVs.
Can't speak for boats, but when it comes to an RV the idea is to be able to get to a location where you can get out and enjoy/sightsee/explore, not sit around inside the RV and irritate each other.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Cool. Just wondering, since you are the couple who want separate houses. I, on the other hand, am not so confident after reading about how people act in the tight confine of an RV or boat. Time will tell, I guess.

Probably is. I think that people who feel a little smothered already, or who have control issues or slightly combative interactions, might have a problem with RV's, boats, etc. Not to say that anyone here fits that description.

On the other hand, people who are kind and considerate to one another, who are intelligent, creative, and patient, and who do not fit the above descriptions, can probably manage to figure out their own happy resolutions to situations as they come up, or foresee and prevent them from coming up at all, pretty easily.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Can't speak for boats, but when it comes to an RV the idea is to be able to get to a location where you can get out and enjoy/sightsee/explore, not sit around inside the RV and irritate each other.
Good point! But then, each to his own.....

Old 08-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
On the other hand, people who are kind and considerate to one another, who are intelligent, creative, and patient, and who do not fit the above descriptions, can probably manage to figure out their own happy resolutions to situations as they come up, or foresee and prevent them from coming up at all, pretty easily.
Umm... Perhaps an RV with two beds would be a good preventive measure. Just a personal precaution...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Umm... Perhaps an RV with two beds would be a good preventive measure. Just a personal precaution...
Whether you choose to sleep in two beds or one seems pretty trivial. But hey, whatever floats your boat.... I think that probably you and your honey would need to talk about what you need. You know - - introspect, communicate. Listen. Be willing to go on your RV trip alone, or to begin with short RV trips to destinations you *both* like, for example.

But then, I can say that. Frank is one of the few men who truly loves browsing through antique shops! (Yes, I am SO lucky!).

Old 08-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Whether you choose to sleep in two beds or one seems pretty trivial. But hey, whatever floats your boat....
Two beds or two separate houses... The more the merrier?

Actually, I cannot remember the last time I slept in the guest bedroom. Not that it didn't happen in the past, but didn't I post that I have aged mellowed more than my true age?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #51
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
...particularly if you have someone to do the driving and handling the drain hose. Oh, you still need to be the flagwoman with a walkie talkie to direct the backing operation.

Since I spent several years assisting with colonoscopies I might do better handling the drain hose !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #52
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I just love the red and white awning ! Help ! I think I am turning into a Stepford SO that likes small spaces .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #53

I paid $2,200 for 6 months worth of dance lessons at Arthur Murray when I could easily have paid $400 for 6 months worth of group dance lessons at another school, but the Arthur Murray school has many more hot female instructors and a younger crowd. Discretionary spending! :0
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Since I spent several years assisting with colonoscopies I might do better handling the drain hose !
Gosh, what was I thinking?
I salute all people in the medical profession for what they do.
Just visiting relatives in hospitals and nursing homes took the joy of living out of me. It is too depressing for me.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
I paid $2,200 for 6 months worth of dance lessons at Arthur Murray when I could easily have paid $400 for 6 months worth of group dance lessons at another school, but the Arthur Murray school has many more hot female instructors and a younger crowd. Discretionary spending! :0
That sounds like a great way to handle your discretionary spending! After all, the point is to have fun!

Old 08-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
That may lead to even more discretionary expenses like dinners, theaters, etc... But while having fun, who's counting?

Old 08-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #57

Even the words discretionary spending mean different things to different people. For example, for us, travel is not discretionary...its mandatory. Otherwise both of us would go nuts, and we may never get to see our kids. That's part of living in an overseas, overcrowded, uncomfortable city (my opinion, not everyone will agree).

Our FIRE budget spreadsheet also contains two categories of "mad money": one that we call pocket money (his and hers) and one that we call hobby money (his and hers). We also have a travel budget, but like I said, that is not discretionary now, and likely won't be in FIRE either, due to our two kids being likely to live in disparate places.

R
Old 08-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #58

Quote:
That may lead to even more discretionary expenses like dinners, theaters, etc... But while having fun, who's counting?
Yeah, thanks for reminding me. Before the said dinner, theater, etc., I first need to upgrade my car from an 8-year-old minivan because I don't think any of these dainty dancer types are going to want to be seen in a porky minivan.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Gee! Though yours is still newer than my 95 minivan that I bought to haul the kids when they were little (they are 20 and 23 now), it may prevent you from having to worry about expanding your discretionary expenses, if that is a worry.

What's a single guy doing with a minivan, for god's sake?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #60

I rule this roost of one(other than Lucky the dog who dines as well as I do and sleeps on the same high thread count bedding). I spend money on whatever I want, no questions asked. This sounds rational to me.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote