Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Since I spent several years assisting with colonoscopies I might do better handling the drain hose !

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #62

I confess to purchasing a pair of Lucky jeans from the Lucky store on swanky King Street in Charleston for $120. Not on sale, not even near to being on sale.

But, according to my fan club of one (DH), they look marvelous! They are a splurge for sure, as I'd never ordinarily spend that kind of money on an article of clothing.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

I'm here in the Smoky Mountains where the RV camping rate is $45 a night!!!! DH is still reeling in shock! I keep reminding him that ALL THE CAMPGROUNDS in the area charge this rate. Besides, for the last 7 weeks we have only paid on average $95 a WEEK for camping which is very much on the cheap end.

At least in the current place gives you the 7th night free and we are in a lovely place with an awesome view and just 20 mins from Cades Cove.

Oh - the original topic - discretionary spending does not have to be justified or rationalized or even "responsible". It's all about pleasure, enjoyment and fun.

Audrey
Old 08-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm here in the Smoky Mountains where the RV camping rate is $45 a night!!!!
Jeeze Louise, that must be a swanky piece of real estate you've got those new Goodyears parked on. Good thing the market has improved some in the past few months, eh?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Jeeze Louise, that must be a swanky piece of real estate you've got those new Goodyears parked on. Good thing the market has improved some in the past few months, eh?
All the real-estate in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains is swanky/expensive. If you want to park in the area, you gotta shell out the $$$. No way around it.

Don't have the new Goodyears yet! Have to wait a week for delivery. Might as well wait in style....... Hope to get some cycling, hiking, kayaking in while we "wait".

Audrey
Old 08-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #66

One could say that any spending beyond the basics of food (rice and beans) clothing (from Goodwill) and a mobile home is discretionary. It's about values. I remember a conversation with my ex in which she was impressed that her DH2B took her to NYC to see a Broadway show. Big whoop. I've never seen a Broadway show because it simply has no value to me. DW also yawns at the thought.

But last December I spent $12k on a motorcycle, and over another grand or so for helmets and riding gear, and I don't even want to think about what I've spent on radio control model airplane stuff, spending that is incomprehensible to many other people. But it's fun for me.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have several antique cars and motorcycles (drivers - nothing fancy). My wife and I differ on the "accounting".

I spent $3,000 this summer on another car (1951 Packard). She considers that a totally discretionary expense - and, if she wanted to, she should be free to spend $3,000 on clothes.

I consider the initial purchase a "capital asset" on our balance sheet. If later sold, the gain/loss is the expense/revenue on the "income statement". Obviously, tools, insurance, storage, fuel, etc are current expenses.

When finance discussions get testy, she brings up the initial purchase price of all the "toys" I bought over the years - cars, boats, motorcycles.

All the vehicles / boats I've sold I've gotten back near what I paid, some of the cars appreciated a little with restoration I did. So my net cost for the old car/boat/motorcycle hobby has to be near a wash for 20 years of playing....

She adds things up and says I spent well over $30,000......
Old 08-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
All the vehicles / boats I've sold I've gotten back near what I paid, some of the cars appreciated a little with restoration I did. So my net cost for the old car/boat/motorcycle hobby has to be near a wash for 20 years of playing....

Ha! I have the same problems with guns. With a little care and patience, you always get back what you spent. My wife completely ignores the recovery, and only notes the purchase price.

Now motorcycles (dirt) are a different story. Beat the c%^p out of a dirt bike for three years (and that is what makes them fun) and you get about 20-25% of what you paid.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #69
Administrator

Quote:
When finance discussions get testy, she brings up the initial purchase price of all the "toys" I bought over the years - cars, boats, motorcycles.
Seems fair to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5

Ah, but the trick for you here, is that when you sell one you need to indicate that you are simply exchanging that toy for another, so the money that you get and then spend on another toy doesn't count!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Since I spent several years assisting with colonoscopies
Did you ever find the patient's head there?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Did you ever find the patient's head there?

No but in some parts of the country I am sure they would have .
Old 08-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Gee! Though yours is still newer than my 95 minivan that I bought to haul the kids when they were little (they are 20 and 23 now), it may prevent you from having to worry about expanding your discretionary expenses, if that is a worry.

What's a single guy doing with a minivan, for god's sake?
I also had a 2 seater convertible up to 2006. Then I had to sell it because I couldn't drive 2 cars to grad school. Before that, I could always to do my Clark Kent and Superman switcharoo anytime I wanted. Now, I'm porky van 100% of the time, not so much.

Speaking of the car, now that CFC has dried up inventory and kept the sales people from starving, dealer are getting a little high and mighty. I may have to wait another 4-6 weeks to see if better deals come along. My suspicions is that deals will reappear.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
I also had a 2 seater convertible up to 2006.
It's none of my business, but that sounds more reasonable. You don't seem like an eccentric geek to me.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Depending on how you go about your personal business and what your aspirations are, investing in fine designer clothing and expensive grooming may help you to enter and move in certain circles where you may meet an SO who is capable of providing you with FI at a far earlier age than you could get it on your own! Can the same be said of coin collecting??
Old 08-29-2009, 09:12 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have several antique cars and motorcycles (drivers - nothing fancy). My wife and I differ on the "accounting".

I spent $3,000 this summer on another car (1951 Packard). She considers that a totally discretionary expense - and, if she wanted to, she should be free to spend $3,000 on clothes.

I consider the initial purchase a "capital asset" on our balance sheet. If later sold, the gain/loss is the expense/revenue on the "income statement". Obviously, tools, insurance, storage, fuel, etc are current expenses.

DD, if you ever visit British Columbia, you must visit the antique car museum in Summerland. Nixdorf Vintage Auto Showroom - Passionate Affair

Here are some photos I took there:
Old 08-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - seeing what people spend on vehicles woke me up!

Now that I think about it, buying our motorhome was extremely irrational. Spending so much on a depreciating asset with high maintenance costs? Are you crazy?!?!?! There is no way to ever amortize it over 10 years and still come out ahead. But, boy howdy, have we had fun for the past 4 years.

If you see this going down the road with TX license plates it's probably us. Apparently only 8 were ever produced in our color scheme:

wave

Audrey
Old 08-30-2009, 05:51 AM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
DD, if you ever visit British Columbia, you must visit the antique car museum in Summerland. Nixdorf Vintage Auto Showroom - Passionate Affair

Here are some photos I took there:
Looks great - thanks !
Old 08-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #78

There is another antique auto museum in Hershey, PA that is closer to home for some:

Antique Auto Museum at Hershey, Pennsylvania

I went there last year and it was well worth the trip, but for me it was a bit over an hour drive.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:54 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
There is another antique auto museum in Hershey, PA that is closer to home for some:

Antique Auto Museum at Hershey, Pennsylvania

I went there last year and it was well worth the trip, but for me it was a bit over an hour drive.
Do the cars smell like chocolate? That would be a sensuous combination!