Join Early Retirement Today

Discretionary spending % in retirement
Old 01-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm interested in the percentage of retirement budget that others categorize as discretionary spending. My planned budget is about 25% discretionary spending.

For those of you who have found it necessary to tweak your spending in response to market conditions, emergencies etc.

1. Was it a minor adjustment (drink cheaper beer ) or were more drastic measures taken?

2. Did the action taken give you confidence that lifestyle flexibility is indeed a powerful tool in retirement security?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
I'm interested in the percentage of retirement budget that others categorize as discretionary spending. My planned budget is about 25% discretionary spending.

For those of you who have found it necessary to tweak your spending in response to market conditions, emergencies etc.

1. Was it a minor adjustment (drink cheaper beer ) or were more drastic measures taken?

2. Did the action taken give you confidence that lifestyle flexibility is indeed a powerful tool in retirement security?
I have been thinking about this, too. Surely this bull market can't last forever, and I want to be ready to axe my spending mercilessly ASAP if/when the market crashes. I like your thread topic because I think a very good way to prepare for the worst, is to cut essential expenses to the bone, but spend more on discretionary expenses that can be easily dropped.

I could cut back 29% pretty painlessly, by cutting back or eliminating spending on clothes, miscellaneous, video gaming, restaurants, home upgrades, utilities, and fitness. If more was needed, I could cut back on grocery expenses too.

This is only my 8th year of retirement, so I haven't had to cut back due to market conditions. Last year I wanted to cut back because I just bought my house, and wanted to prove to myself that I wasn't going to keep spending so much each year. Of course, I don't buy a house every year but I wasn't sure how much it would cost to live here. (Answer: about the same). I didn't *have* to cut back, since I have been averaging about 2% WR, but I wanted to just to reassure myself that I wasn't going overboard.

Anyway, I cut back a little but not enough to overcome the unexpected costs of a brand new HVAC system, and a lot of expensive dental work. These together comprised 25% of my spending in 2016. So, instead of my 2016 spending dropping by more than 16% in comparison with 2015, it was actually higher. This is why I'm thinking about the topic now. If the market crashed, unexpected expenses would still arise. I need to think about where else to cut back.

So, my answers are:
1) a minor adjustment, and
2) I've got to believe in lifestyle flexibility as a tool for retirement security, because what else do we have? Besides, I know I can be pretty good at it if a true need for that arises.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We actually spent more during the '08-09 downtick than we have been lately because prices (travel, home improvement contractors) were so good back then and it was "too good to pass up". We went to Italy in '09 and did a bunch of home renovations.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have not experienced a market crash since ER. My withdrawal rate is under 3% and I have already eliminated unnecessary expenses, such as cable TV. I mostly cook at home. So there isn't a lot more that I could willingly give up. Travel and golf are my two big discretionary expenses. If I completely cut out both, I could get by on about 20% less, but my quality of life would suffer.

There are some other strategies I could use if my cash flow was an endangered species. For example, I have been withdrawing from tax-sheltered accounts early in order to avoid a big tax hit after RMDs. I could stop doing that, withdraw only from taxable cash, and pay lower taxes in the short term. I could elect to start my CPP as early as 60, albeit at a significant discount. I could put a rental property on the market (which might be depressed also). However, I would not go back to work!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

So, my answers are:
1) a minor adjustment, and
2) I've got to believe in lifestyle flexibility as a tool for retirement security, because what else do we have? Besides, I know I can be pretty good at it if a true need for that arises.
Thanks W2R. I can envision a more frugal life being pretty satisfying when considering plentiful free time and no more wage slavery
Old 01-05-2017, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
I dunno, I never calculated the exact percentage of discretionary spending but I'd guesstimate that it's about 30%. DW buys a lot of boxed meals from Jenny Craig but is generally frugal otherwise so I keep my trap shut about that. I have a photography hobby that can be pricey but I've pretty much leveled off on that for now. We eat out two or three times a month, and have a monthly cable bill that is approaching three figures. We buy clothes new, but not often, we could go the Goodwill route there. We could do with one vehicle if we had to so I guess my pickup truck is discretionary. I do most of the grocery shopping but don't look at prices much so if I had to I'm sure cuts could be made there.

Thinking about this more, I'd guess if we had to cut to the bare survival minimum and still stay in this house we could cut 50% but it wouldn't be much fun.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:

"Discretionary" is incredibly difficult to define.

One person considers twice-per-week meals in a tablecloth restaurant a necessity, another thinks that's a foolish extravagance.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:30 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I just look at my Quicken tally of expenses, and see that if I just cut out travel and gifts/donations, I will knock off 20% already.

I can sell the 2nd home and reduce the expenses further, probably another 15-20%.

At that point, I still eat and drink the same, but just stay home to watch travel video and be an armchair traveler. I would still have the Web to surf, and still buy "stuff" for my hobby. It's not a bad life.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Timely topic since I was just thinking about this looking at last year's spending.

I could lower my spending by removing my travel and fun money which comes to about16% of my current total spending. I could further reduce from my variable/daily spending category (groceries, toiletries, clothing, entertainment, restaurants) by another 9% or so, so the total of about 25%. And as Meadbh said, take money out of already taxed money to lower the income tax burden for the year. God, I hope I won't have to cut these categories to the bare bone all at once in one year because it just wouldn't be too much fun, but it is good to know some things are discretionary and it looks possible to cut quite a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks W2R. I can envision a more frugal life being pretty satisfying when considering plentiful free time and no more wage slavery
Exactly! That's my thinking, too. I'm so happy just doing free things that I like to do. In my case these include activities like exercising, playing video games, listening to free podcasts that I have saved on my computer, and hanging out with Frank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Thinking about this more, I'd guess if we had to cut to the bare survival minimum and still stay in this house we could cut 50% but it wouldn't be much fun.
That would be difficult but possible. I don't know if it would even be remotely possible for me, though, if I had a mortgage payment every month.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
One person considers twice-per-week meals in a tablecloth restaurant a necessity, another thinks that's a foolish extravagance.
So true, although I smile at the Hollywood divorces in which one claims they "need" $20,000 a month to survive.

Peel me a grape.

For those who don't "get" that phrase, here's the origin:

Old 01-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I would say about 50%. Probably more if I worked on it.

Why isn't this a pole?

Our portfolio has grown enough, that our annual spending budget plus taxes only uses around 80% of our withdrawal. (knocking on wood) The rest is available for a splurge or a rainy day (or both) and outside any budget.

But this also implies that we could take a pretty big hit to our portfolio before we notice a budget squeeze. More actually than the 20% implied by the above, because our taxes tend to drop drastically right after market crashes.

I have a pretty big war chest built up for spending even if my income drops substantially due to prolonged bad market conditions. (more knocking on wood)
Old 01-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

If we cut traveling a lot and eating out/entertainment then we could cut spending by about 25% and still be happy.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #14
gone traveling

"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

If FI you are truly free to live anywhere you desire So you can move lets say to lovely Guanajuato Mexico, cut your spending by 80% and have not much change in standard of living. That is should market crash 50% and put you in situation where you really have to slash spending.

Or you can move to Cesky Krumlov and slash spending by 50% while living in fairy tale Czech Town.

I suspect freedom of taking such steps will come much easier to those of us who know few other languages besides English.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

If FI you are truly free to live anywhere you desire So you can move lets say to lovely Guanajuato Mexico, cut your spending by 80% and have not much change in standard of living. That is should market crash 50% and put you in situation where you really have to slash spending.

Or you can move to Cesky Krumlov and slash spending by 50% while living in fairy tale Czech Town.

I suspect freedom of taking such steps will come much easier to those of us who know few other languages besides English.

In what circumstances would you take a drastic measure like moving out of the country? Would you if the market went down by 50% one year? Just curious.

tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Also if you want to live by family that comes into play. Poland is a beautiful country with a low cost of living.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
In what circumstances would you take a drastic measure like moving out of the country? Would you if the market went down by 50% one year? Just curious.

In our case if a bump in quality of life was worth the price of being further away from our DD.

But the point is you are living on the world where you free to do this to pursue your happiness.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:20 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Moving out of "the country" is not really a "drastic" option for those of us with more than one citizenship.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:32 PM   #19

My own "Lifetime Planner" says I can spend about twice my basic needs so I'll go with 50%.
RetireAge50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:36 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have not experienced a market crash since ER. My withdrawal rate is under 3% and I have already eliminated unnecessary expenses, such as cable TV. I mostly cook at home. So there isn't a lot more that I could willingly give up. Travel and golf are my two big discretionary expenses. If I completely cut out both, I could get by on about 20% less, but my quality of life would suffer.

There are some other strategies I could use if my cash flow was an endangered species. For example, I have been withdrawing from tax-sheltered accounts early in order to avoid a big tax hit after RMDs. I could stop doing that, withdraw only from taxable cash, and pay lower taxes in the short term. I could elect to start my CPP as early as 60, albeit at a significant discount. I could put a rental property on the market (which might be depressed also). However, I would not go back to work!
So your income would drop if we had a market crash? In my case it would because I use % of remaining portfolio so my income fluctuates wildly with market swings. Most people here though seem to use methods with less variation. With a low withdrawal rate like yours you can use a constant withdrawal (spending) method indexed to inflation (classic Trinity study) and your portfolio will survive just fine without tightening your budget.

You kind of have a catch-22 with your low (under 3%) withdrawal rate. You have trimmed down expenses so that you have a low withdrawal rate, but that means that in addition to low discretionary parts of the budget, you have (relatively) more invested and subject to those market forces that shrink portfolios occasionally. If, for example, you used 3.33% as your withdrawal - still pretty conservative - you would have 10% more for discretionary expenses, or that could be set aside for lean years when the portfolio is hammered.