Disinherited by Vanguard
Old 08-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Disinherited by Vanguard

FYI:
Become a member!
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2007, 02:26 PM   #2

Umm.... summary of the article for those not wanting to register?
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm gonna guess this is the vanguard deal that one should have the same beneficiary on all your funds within a single Vanguard IRA. It's been discussed at length on the diehards site. Bottom line: double check your beneficiary designation on your vanguard accounts.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
Umm.... summary of the article for those not wanting to register?
you don't need to register (I didn't register anyhow, but maybe I'm special ),
that's how the title came up and I don't know how to change it, did you
try to click on it?
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:37 PM   #5

Here is the message:
Quote:
Dear Flagship Client:

Your nonretirement Vanguard accounts held within a Transfer on Death (TOD) Plan (formerly known as the Directed Beneficiary Plan) will soon begin to use a convenient, single-beneficiary designation standard. This change will help you to consolidate your record keeping and make it easier for you to track your beneficiary designations.

Starting in mid-September, one beneficiary (or one beneficiary for one group of beneficiaries) will apply to all the funds within that account-as well as for any funds that you may add to the account in the future.

Our records indicate that you have one or more funds in an existing TOD Plan account that do not list beneficiary information. Under the policy change described above, the beneficiary designation you’ve named for the other funds in that account will apply to these funds as well.

Review your beneficiary designations regularly

You can check your current beneficiary designation anytime on Vanguard.com. If you approve of the beneficiary designation that will be listed for all funds in your account, you don’t have to do a thing. We’ll send you a confirmation of your TOD Plan account beneficiaries in September. If you want to change your designation, please complete a new TOD form, which you can download form the “Forms” area in the top menu of our website. Or contact us to request the form by mail.

Remember that it’s always wise to review your beneficiary records regularly to help ensure that your assets are distributed according to your wishes.

For questions about the change in beneficiary policy, call 800-345-1344 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., or Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Eastern time.

Sincerely,

Joanne T. Dollarton
Principal
Vanguard Flagship Services
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vanguard Service:
"You can't get what you want, but you won't find anyone cheaper!!"

A big part of the Dee Dee Havens complaint (FundAlarm - Highlights & Commentary Archive) was Vanguard's mishandling of beneficiary designations. Hopefully that's changed for the better...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I hate to bring up an old thread, but today I attended a 2-hour presentation done by Ed Slott, and he told me Vanguard still has not changed their policy, so it's "buyer beware".........

Public service message: Check your Vanguard accounts for the CORRECT beneficiary choices YOU want, it's your right.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vanguard