Join Early Retirement Today

distribution of RE sale profits for LO(little one)
Old 06-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

distribution of RE sale profits for LO(little one)

Say you had a property on the East Coast, bought many yrs ago and paid off prior to marriage. And then you sold it recently.
B/c you want the money to go to your son in case of death (one's own), and not to any future stepchildren or wives for example, the money is sitting in an account, designated where to go in case you die.
Kid is 2.5 yo.

Please help. How would you distribute/ allocate? Kid already has separate college fund, etc. Inertia/ indecision/ ?fear is keeping this money from being more profitable than sitting in a MM.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You could probably do worse than opening an UTMA/UGMA account at Vanguard and putting the proceeds into Wellington, Star or balanced index.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Brewer! Question though, do you worry about international exposure? I was thinking Wellington, but it's all US based. But then there's the argument of international presence in much of that US based. or just do something now, and tweak over LO lifetime.:confused:
Old 06-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Thanks Brewer! Question though, do you worry about international exposure? I was thinking Wellington, but it's all US based. But then there's the argument of international presence in much of that US based. or just do something now, and tweak over LO lifetime.:confused:
I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it. Actually, I believe that Star includes international exposure, or you could pick more than one fund if you wish. Depends on how much money we are talking about and how fancy you wish to get.

- George Orwell

Old 06-20-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

okay, thanks Brewer! (the kick in the pants I need, chicken little)
hehe...I have to admit, there have been many times I thought to myself: hmmm, wonder if Brewer offers counselling services.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
hmmm, wonder if Brewer offers counselling services.
Have given it some thought in the past, but the idea of doing hand-holding all day, whoring for new clients who don't really want to hear the truth anyway, and lining up the appropriate liability insurance are enough to keep me an amateur.

- George Orwell

Old 06-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Have given it some thought in the past, but the idea of doing hand-holding all day, whoring for new clients who don't really want to hear the truth anyway, and lining up the appropriate liability insurance are enough to keep me an amateur.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Wellington claims to have 13.5% foreign holdings.
Does that help?

Dan
dandetour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Dan, that does!
Old 06-23-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
You could probably do worse than opening an UTMA/UGMA account at Vanguard and putting the proceeds into Wellington, Star or balanced index.
I wouldn't go this way unless you are giving it to the kid now... I thought it was 'in case I die'.... the UGMA is giving it right now and when they become 18 it is THEIRS... well, really it is before then, but you have control over it...

IF you want to keep it and have it go to the kid IF you die, then put it in an account and have the beneficiary the kid.... it is still YOUR money as long as you live.... also, have the wife to be sign an agreement that all proceedes from this money will be considered separate property.... you don't want to get messed up with that in case of divorce...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

how about a 529 plan?
d is offline   Reply With Quote