Join Early Retirement Today

Diversification Is For Amateurs
Old 05-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Diversification Is For Amateurs

The latest (and last) Sophisticated Investor column from MarketWatch lists the five money management tips we can learn from the wealthy.

Number 2 is especially interesting.

Quote:
2) Investing: Long-term growth may be the road to success, but you have to take risk to get rich. No guts, no blue chips, as they say. Concentrated, thoroughly researched positions will make you rich. Diversification, as money manager Marty Whitman -- a hall of fame investor in my mind -- says, "diversification is for amateurs."
sarahsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Diversification is for people who don't want to wake up some morning suddenly needing a job.

As for MJ Whitman, take a look at his 3rd Avenue Fund. Maybe he is an amateur, because this fund is widely diversified- though not like an index.

Ha
Old 05-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

"Diversification is for amateurs"?

Uh huh...

After all, why spread risk when you can HAVE IT ALL!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I'm an amateur so I'll stay diversified.

I'd agree that a concentrated position is the only sure path to quick riches or quickly losing it all.... be sure it's all in naked puts as well. No sense saying you're going to go big and then not following through ;-)
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Appropriate that it's his last column. If he really encourages Joe Schmoe to put all his money into "the next big thing" and not diversify, he shouldn't be writing an investment advice column!

I just thought the board would get a kick out of his ideas.
sarahsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Put it all in Enron and grow to a fortune !
runchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Frankly, in this situation, it is a complement to be an amateur. Amateurs are too busy with the important things in life and know, statistically, a diversified equity portfolio provides more wealth than one managed in this fashion. Just like poker players, a few can do quite well over the years but most loose it all.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #8

i don't care about being rich, but i don't mind not being poor.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #9

In one sense, the article is spot-on. If you start a business, you don't diversify into starting a hundred small businesses, you pour yourself into that one. If it hits, ala Google or Microsoft, then that's the fastest way to wealth. If it doesn't, well, there's always the next idea.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

At age 59 and counting, I figure I just want my fair share.

I'll stick with diversification.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #11

The problem with tip number 2 is not that it's wrong, but that it assumes the majority of investors want to be "rich". Most of us on this board just want enough to be financially independent.

I guess a high-rolling hedge fund manager would be the epitome of a 'professional' investor. They certainly take big gambles on concentrated positions. But they are playing with other people's money, and have a built-in compensation incentive to speculate

FWIW, Warren Buffett certainly prefers a focused portfolio, but has repeatedly recommended that "know-nothing" (i.e., the vast majority of) investors stick to low-cost, diversified index funds.

I like his tip number 3:
Quote:
Lifestyle. They may seem fancy, but just because homes and vacations are expensive doesn't mean they are better. The magic of all things wears off after a while. Buy a new sports car and after a month I'll bet you will find something to complain about. Being smart about how you live trumps ostentation and shows you have class. Go to old-moneyed Greenwich, Conn. and you'll find the richest people driving the most broken-down looking cars. Think smart; don't show off.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:03 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Warren Buffet said something like that but made clear that 99.999% of us are amateurs and belong in indexes. I think he would include most managed fund managers among the amateurs.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:46 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

That article shows why the Sophisticated Investor column should disappear.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I am an amateur. I use it, and am proud of it... also very well off financially.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #15

question: how many sophisticated investors read and take advice from the sophisticated investor column?
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

How much risk are early retirees willing to take? Some, but not a whole lot. Diversification is a must at this point of the game. I know I don't want to go back to work.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #17

This is one of those articles about "no risk - no gain". A concentrated bet can make you rich or poor, and diversification will provide market (or average) return. I choose the latter.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:32 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

My brother and SIL put all their money in Worldcom. Ended up selling for $100. Their retirement is on hold. I'll give them credit for not whining though.

I think I'll stick with being an amateur.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:19 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is there such a thing as too much diversification? Such as the highly diversified non-correlated portfolios containing every asset under the sun. Are the risks so balanced out that the returns will be lower because of the lower risk?
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Back to Martin Whitman again. He is a very successful investor, but his judgment is no more certain than ours is. He rode a big holding in Ambac (ABK) to above $90- then watched it decline to today's close under $3. All the while saying what a safe and sound investment is was.

So I think some diversification is in order, at least it is for me!

Ha