Join Early Retirement Today

Diversification may not work this time?
Old 12-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Diversification may not work this time?

Interesting article at Fidelity. Suggesting that having a stock/bond mix for diversification may not work so well in the near future.

https://www.fidelity.com/insights/ma...is-not-working

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Genuine diversification sometimes means owning what you hate.
The only thing not correlated in the 2008-2009 crash was my total bond fund. Everything else, and I mean everything, crashed together!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
The only thing not correlated in the 2008-2009 crash was my total bond fund. Everything else, and I mean everything, crashed together!
+1 I wasn't even that happy with my total bond fund, IIRC, though I'll take your word on the degree of correlation. The only investment I had that seemed immune was my money market accounts, and all the financial news shows were loudly predicting that money market funds were going to "break the buck" at any moment. Scary times! Makes me glad that we are now in the upswing part of the financial roller coaster ride.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Good article. Let me simplify it. There are two basic risks in any financial market: systemic and non-systemic. Diversification works only for non-systemic risk.
AA = 60/35/5. Expected CAGR = 5.7%. GSD (5y) = 7.8%. USD inflation (10 y) = 1.8%. AWR = 3.0%. TER = 0.5%. Net Port Yield = 1.7%. Term = 36 yr. FI Duration = 4.9 yr. Portfolio survival probability = 86%.
galeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Diversification works well enough for me. The periods where assets seems to correlate strongly are temporary. Over the long run they move in different directions and/or at different speeds. I don't need assets to be (mostly) uncorrelated all the time if I am patient. I hope to have enough poor correlation over a multi-decade period to gain some benefit from diversification and rebalancing.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Diversification has worked well for us also. Cash held up well in 1987 and 2000. Cash and intermediate bonds in 2008.
AA = 60/35/5. Expected CAGR = 5.7%. GSD (5y) = 7.8%. USD inflation (10 y) = 1.8%. AWR = 3.0%. TER = 0.5%. Net Port Yield = 1.7%. Term = 36 yr. FI Duration = 4.9 yr. Portfolio survival probability = 86%.
galeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe it will work, maybe not. Anyway I still haven't found a better plan. Therefore I'll continue to diversify and own a bunch of everything.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by galeno View Post
Good article. Let me simplify it. There are two basic risks in any financial market: systemic and non-systemic. Diversification works only for non-systemic risk.
+1
Old 12-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Maybe it will work, maybe not. Anyway I still haven't found a better plan. Therefore I'll continue to diversify and own a bunch of everything.
+1 and for me, I am keeping my job for 2 more years.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
+1 and for me, I am keeping my job for 2 more years.
The diversification provided by an earned income is something many of us have lost.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #11

Good article, and I agree 100% with author about being wary of long bonds. I wonder how historical bond returns relate to current situation of artificially record low interest rates (QE, Abe-nomics, ECB, etc.). US has never seen a tripling of T-bond interest rates over a 2-3yr period as we may if rates back up to a more "normal" 4% by 2014/15 as some predict.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The diversification provided by an earned income is something many of us have lost.
My job is a good part of diversification play for me right now .
Old 12-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
This is the best diversifier known to man. Not very popular on an early retirement board, and not always possible. But an older woman recently wrote that she had established a helpful monthly income cleaning houses. Little to nothing in start-up costs, and quick to get going. Likely the best thing many of us might do for ourselves would be to figure out and get started on a reasonably controllable small business.

Since almost everyone will have SS, add a modest business income to that and it would help mightily in tough turndowns.

Ha