Diversification Versus Simplification

Simplification makes the rebalancing process easier.

...An index fund here, and index fund there..then readjust the allocations when desired.

Well, I moved a ton of money from stocks to bonds. Literally. Based on the weight of a modern silver dollar, I moved over a ton of money.

I got rid of one of the small cap funds, and totally converted one of my IRA total stock funds into the total bond fund, so I was able to reduce the number of funds by two.

It feels good to lock in those stock gains, and so now I say "Whee!"

I looked up an ounce of silver and it seems to be going for about $19. Lets see, 16 x 2000 x $19 = $608,000. Or were they those rare Morgan silver dollars? ;)

I could (woulda, shoulda) lock in the gain on 12/31. As it is, I am going to lose 60 lbs of silver today. Not a ton of money, but it still hurts.

PS. Should have figured in gold. Then, it's only 1 lb of "lost" money.

Last edited:
This post got me thinking

Got me thinking of the diversification question from a totally different angle....

Say you hold something like a boglehead simple portfolio of 4 funds at Vanguard. Simple and diversified from a market perspective.

What happens if Vanguard goes belly up? Is it better to hold ETF's that replicate a vanguard fund, or the vanguard fund itself from a diversification perspective

A friend lost a life savings by holding Lehman Brothers Treasury mini bonds ...about 5 years ago today he went from being multi-millionare to flat broke.

What SIPC or other protection is there in holding all assets in 1 brokerage account, eg. E-trade / Ameritrade / etc. ?

What happens if Vanguard goes belly up? Is it better to hold ETF's that replicate a vanguard fund, or the vanguard fund itself from a diversification perspective

A friend lost a life savings by holding Lehman Brothers Treasury mini bonds ...about 5 years ago today he went from being multi-millionare to flat broke.

That's why it can be important to know what you are actually investing in. The Vanguard funds or their ETF equivalent are simply containers for shares of stocks or bonds from a wide range of sources, which are held by a third party like Mellon Bank. Vanguard the company is actually owned by it's various funds, sort of an upside-down relationship compared to most mutual fund and ETF marketing companies. It's not particularly likely to go away.

If it were dissolved, though, all the shares of stock and all the bonds held by the funds are entrusted to a third party which could make investors whole. These get audited, so folks can't play funny games. That's where the SIPC coverage comes in, to restore funds in the event of some sort of internal fraud were some shares or bonds 'disappear'.

Those Lehman Brothers Minibonds, though... They were 'structured financial notes' issued in Hong Kong and Singapore backed by the full faith and credit of... Lehman Brothers. These instruments used underlying securities issued by Lehman Brothers wrapped around a collateral debt obligation (CDO) hidden beneath issued by Beryl Finance Limited, an entity created and controlled by Lehman Brothers, built on notes from Lehman US Dollar Liquidity Fund. And then it gets complicated....

The thing is, there's nothing there when Lehman Brothers is removed from the picture. You get a bunch of offsetting instruments, all now valued at nothing. There aren't any shares of real companies, or bonds representing real loans to other companies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom