Join Early Retirement Today

Dividend Payers
Old 12-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dividend Payers

Looking for a high yield diversified portfolio of about maybe 5 to 10 large multi-national stocks that can be kept for the long term and never have to sell. This will be my first foray into buying individual stocks if I have the nerve to do it. This would amount to 5% of my total portfolio and come from my cash reserves. Any suggestions folks?
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just buy

iShares Dow Jones Select Dividend (ETF): NYSEARCAVY quotes & news - Google Finance

or its individual holdings if you want to do some research?

iShares Dow Jones Select Dividend Index (DVY) Top Portfolio Holdings

You might be late to the party.

-CC
Old 12-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I recommend signing up for a trial issue of the Morningstar Dividend Investor Newsletter
The recommendations are good but even more important is the supplemental issues where he discusses how to evaluate dividend stocks.

Another good source of ideas is to look at the stock portfolio of Vanguard Wellesley and Wellington they have ~60 and 100 stocks respectively and pretty much all of them are large blue chip dividend payers.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Here is another decent resource:

Dividend Growth Investor
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #5

For high - yield stocks you would never have to sell? That is asking for a lot the best I would offer would be for a group of 5 stocks that held in equal proportion would pay 4 percent or so on average and raise dividends consistently:

MO - Altria
CHV - Chevron
VVC - Vectren
PEP - Pepsi
MCD - Mc Donalds

To this you could add some natural resource or MLP's to gain even a higher dividend but the very long term nature you state makes them not as sure of an investment. One percent of each on a portfolio would not create that much additional risk to your portfolio.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #6

I'm partial to Microsoft at current prices.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

At the 'right price' :
abt
bmy
jnj
bayry
mrk
nvs
kft
nsrgy
gis
cag
cpb
deo
dps
pep
syy
kmb
pg
gpc
hon
intc
apd
ppg
rpm
sjm
ul
un
emr
chg
ed
peg
wec
xom
nsc
ups
trv
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #8

currently : ABT, AFL, EMR, ITW, JNJ, MDT, MMM, MSFT, PG, SYY
currently (higher risk) : GE
at the right price : ADP, CVX, KO, MCD, UTX, WMT, XOM
Old 12-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have you thought of looking at Preferred Shares instead of common stock?

The benefits are a steady income stream, and that you are above the common in the credit pecking order. This means that the common dividend has to be cut or suspended before the preferred dividend can be touched.

Disadvantages are that Preferred Stockholders have no voting rights; and that the dividend is fixed ( common dividends can go up as the company grows ). And some Preferred Issues ( mostly banks ) have the right to suspend dividends - always good to read the prospectus very carefully.

As with all stock investments, your risk is the demise of the underlying company.

I find that, as long as I look at the income stream, I tend not to be worried with the daily fluctuations of the shares. And I know that, should they be called, I will get more than I paid for them ( assuming I bought below par ).
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote