Join Early Retirement Today

Dividend Payment Date Issue ?
Old 03-25-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dividend Payment Date Issue ?

I went to my brokerage account Saturday morning & noticed that my dividend from kraft/heinz had been reinvested Friday.
I don't normally check those transactions for accuracy, but the purchase price seemed high. So I looked at the stock data from Friday & I was correct.
The data from my broker, NASDAQ, & Yahoo all showed the same daily low of $59.95 & high of $61.6569 (Yahoo rounded up to $61.66)

How did I pay $62.1382 ?
I thought that maybe the payment date isn't actually the day the shares are purchased, but I researched, & that seems to be the case.

Here’s a link to a screen capture, & below that, the rest of the dividend info.

Ex/Eff Date: 3/8/2018
Type: Cash
Cash Amount: 0.625
Declaration Date: 2/16/2018
Record Date: 3/9/2019
Payment Date: 3/23/2018
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2018, 08:57 PM   #2

I'm no expert on this but my understanding is the share price used is based on the date the dividend was declared which will likely be earlier then the date it was paid out to shareholders.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I'm no expert on this but my understanding is the share price used is based on the date the dividend was declared which will likely be earlier then the date it was paid out to shareholders.
Thanks for the reply zinger, but that doesn't seem to add up.
The declaration date was February 16, & that days open/high/low/close was 69.94 71.25 67.65 70.80
Old 03-25-2018, 11:29 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interestingly the screen capture in the OP shows math that isn't right: shares times price should equal the amount, but it doesn't..

It could be that there are some transaction and SEC fees that they are adding into either the price or the amount somehow. Since transaction fees add to cost basis the brokerage might think they're doing you a favor by factoring them into the price and hiding that complexity from you, but they're not hiding the complexity perfectly. The amount by which they are off and the amount of the SEC fees as I recall them are of roughly the same magnitude (a couple of dollars in this case).

If you still want to track it down, I'd call your brokerage company and ask them what's up. You deserve to have an explanation that makes sense even if it's only a couple of dollars, because you deserve to work with people who are trustworthy and can account for what has happened with your money.

If you do find out I would be curious as to what the explanation was.

Good luck!
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:42 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
How did I pay $62.1382 ?
I thought that maybe the payment date isn't actually the day the shares are purchased, but I researched, & that seems to be the case.
Another possibility is that the above quoted sentence is a mistake. If the purchase takes two days to settle (I'm not an expert, but I think all trades are executed on day T and "settle" on T+2), then your purchase/trade happened on 3/21. The high and low for 3/21 are 62.76 and 61.75.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:33 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Ask someone at your broker to explain.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Good question. Never paid attention but always suspected the re-invested price was a bit higher than the "market price". Have to trust these brokerage firms and their "smart computers".
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #8

I have the explanation. SecondCor521 nailed it
The actual trade/buy took place on Wednesday the 21st, Friday the 23rd was the 'settlement date'

Thanks to all who replied.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:15 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I have the explanation. SecondCor521 nailed it
The actual trade/buy took place on Wednesday the 21st, Friday the 23rd was the 'settlement date'

Thanks to all who replied.
Yay! I'll expect my prize in the mail! ;-)

Thanks for the follow up, I appreciate it.