Dividend reinvestment or core account?

sengsational

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
In your tax advantaged accounts that hold mutual funds, ETF's, stocks, etc that get dividends, do you have your account configured to reinvest, or just let the money flow to the "core account"?

It's understandable that in non-tax advantage accounts, you can just use dividends for spending money, but in tIRA, Roth, 401k, HSA, etc, the clearing of the money market account is probably not something you'd be doing. I mean, if you're going to pull money for spending, since it's a taxable event, it's probably going to be bigger than removing a few bucks that accumulated from dividends (IOW, you'll be selling something, then pulling a larger chunk of cash out and will be getting a 1099).

The default, in my experience, is that the dividends flow to the core account and it sits there, earning almost nothing nowadays. Although it doesn't earn anything, it's available for purchasing either more of what spawned the dividend, or something else. So you have flexibility of purchasing something else. But you'd probably pay a commission to buy that something else, whereas, as far as I could tell on the Fidelity site, the reinvestment didn't have a fee associated with it.

There's the "book keeping" aspect too. For instance, if you had 1000 shares of something, you have that kind of easy math. The dividend is just some money that appears, versus fractional shares to keep adding each time a dividend comes around. But if you don't care about the fractional shares, you get to have a basically empty core account.

Then there's the price at dividend re-investment time versus the rest of the time. I don't know enough about that to make any kind of statement. Logically, the "higher demand" at dividend reinvestment time would push the price up, but I can't imagine this is a big factor, or nobody would opt-in to DRIPs. Maybe some kind of arbitrage keeps that at bay. Don't know anything about this aspect of the question.

What else is there to the decision about opting for reinvesting dividends? I did search and saw something about a fee of $2.50 at Vanguard, but that was a decade-old thread.

It's a mix. Reinvest most, except for in areas where I'm already overweight. At Fido, the reinvest costs nothing. The fractional shares don't bother me.

Last edited:
We reinvest in the tax preferred accounts and will continue to do so in retirement. Easy way to keep the money working, as opposed to having it sit in MMarket until I get around to doing something. Any extra rebalancing that might be necessitated by this would be tax free.

Just stopped reinvesting in after-tax accounts last summer so as to make basis & holding period easy once we start drawing from those later this year or next.

I used to have IRA's re-invest as it was free and you could re-invest the money in anything, even a different stock/etf at Scottrade.

Since retirement, I've turned off all re-investment, as I plan to convert or withdraw IRA money so each year having some in cash already simplifies the action.

In my taxable account, I always let the divs accumulate as cash, I used to add to the cash and buy something but now in retirement I withdraw them for spending $$$.

When I was accumulating, it was always reinvest...

Now that I am spending the money, I have it moved to my ST bond fund on my taxable accounts (I do not use a MM account).... Also, I have my interest from my ST bond fund sent to my checking account... why? Because I never was able to get any losses since I was 'purchasing' every month.... now, the losses were small, but I still did not get them...

I have not changed on my tax deferred accounts... still being reinvested...

Tax advantaged accounts: I re-invest dividends in these accounts.

Taxable accounts: These dividends are directed towards a money market account at Vanguard, and later taken as cash for spending money or used in rebalancing.

We do a mix of things. Mostly we do not have dividends automatically reinvested in any account, except for a couple of IRAs that are filled 100% with a single bond mutual fund where the monthly dividends are automatically reinvested.

I am keenly aware of when dividends will appear in all the other accounts. I calculate ahead of time the cash that will be received and plan on how to reinvest that cash right away. For instance, AGG and BND went ex-dividend yesterday and the cash will be available before the markets open on 2/7.

We have dividends in our Fidelity taxable account sent automatically to our checking account because we are never going to buy anything at Fidelity again.

Our quarterly stock ETF dividends are much larger for us, but the same algorithm applies: Calculate ahead, have a plan, execute.

It is no more a big deal than getting a paycheck once in a while and deciding what to do with it. But the timing of quarterly dividends in our taxable accounts works out for us:

March dividends: Use to fund Roth IRAs and home owners/auto insurance bills.
June dividends: Use to pay for summer vacation.
September dividends: Pay Fall semester college expenses and vacation credit card bills.
December dividends: Pay property taxes, winter vacation, and Spring semester college expenses.

We pay no commissions at any of our brokers, so dividend reinvestment does not cost us anything whether it is automatically done or manually done.

Last edited:
I reinvest in my IRA accounts. They are all mutual funds or ETFs. I'd rather keep the money invested without me having to check to see if there are any dividends that have come since I last checked. I don't care about any bookkeeping and I do my purchases on a $ amount rather than some even number of shares. If anything I'd be more interested in tracking how my $10,000 or whatever has grown as a total return on investment including dividends.

There's no fee at Vanguard or any other place I've heard of. If I'm overweight, I can move it to another Vanguard fund with no fee. If I felt balancing were more of an issue, that would be a reason for not reinvesting. If I ever do something like monthly withdrawals from those accounts I might not reinvest, to avoid any downward fluctuations right before I need the money. I can't think of another reason not for me to not reinvest.

I reinvest in my tIRA, as I am not old enough to access it in an unfettered manner. In my taxable account, I take as cash the monthly dividends from my main bond fund account and the quarterly dividends from my main stock fund account. My local bank account acts as my "core" account, a hub for all of my day-to-day banking activity. I do reinvest dividends from 2 smaller bond funds in my taxable account, as I don't need them for my day-to-day expenses. I also reinvest cap gain distributions from all accounts.

A friend of mine has an inherited IRA and we have set it up so it generates a little more cash annually than his RMD has him take out (he doesn't need it for his expenses so we use some of it to pay estimated income taxes via 1099-R withholding). The cash goes to the IRA's core account until RMD time. IT hasn't happened yet, but soon the RMD will require more cash than is in the core account so he will have to sell something, some shares in a corporate bond fund.

I take taxable account dividends in cash. Tax-advantaged accounts (tIRAs and Roth IRAs and HSAs) reinvest.

I want to be able to control distributions from tax-advantaged accounts since they are taxable income and the dividends in taxable accounts are income whether I take them in cash or reinvest them.

I've vacillated back and forth on reinvesting.

Currently I'm selling taxable equities for living expenses. I'm in danger of having a wash sale if I sell shares at a loss in the taxable account and a dividend reinvestment buys the same shares, particularly in a tax advantaged account where the loss is just lost forever. Just another thing I have to watch out for when selling. So I have preferred to simply take the cash and reinvest/rebalance when convenient.

However, I have just switched from my slice-and-dice allocation to a simple four index allocation in my tax advantaged accounts. There are no similar funds between the taxable and tax advantaged accounts. So I turned reinvesting back on for the tax advantaged accounts.

Whatever makes it easier.

We are 55 and 56. Distributions in tax-advantaged accounts are reinvested. We won't need those funds for a decade or more. Seems like an efficient way to keep it growing rather then making continual investment decisions with idle cash and possibly paying commissions. Distributions in the taxable accounts are taken in cash. They go directly to our CMA at Fidelity, along with pensions and rental income, where they are used to pay bills.

I take taxable account dividends in cash. Tax-advantaged accounts (tIRAs and Roth IRAs and HSAs) reinvest.

I want to be able to control distributions from tax-advantaged accounts since they are taxable income and the dividends in taxable accounts are income whether I take them in cash or reinvest them.
This is what I do. I pull solely from taxable for now since our tax rate is relatively high. When RMDs come around I will probably dump the tax-deferred distributions into a MM and pull them and liquidate whatever else is required.

This thread has been helpful for me, and I guess it makes me realize I probably should have set these things up to reinvest a long time ago.

I've always had mutual funds set to re-invest, but for ETF's, I didn't even know it was an option until more recently. I had individual stock from the megacorp set up with DRIP, but that plan was sponsored by the company for the employees. So the fact that something you originally buy only in whole shares had the option of reinvesting and getting fractional shares kind of didn't click for me. A service of the brokerage house, I guess. The way I found out was that it was the default for the brokerage house that does my HSA, and one day I saw my nice-round number of shares get all fractional on me.

Now I'm off to let the rest of 'em get all fractional.

Actually, now that you mention it, while I have all my funds in my tIRA reinvest dividends the ETFs (which are bond like ETFs) pay cash which goes into my brokerage cash account and I use when I rebalance... I hate fractional shares (not sure why... just don't like them).

All dividends come in as cash. I use it to repurchase share when rebalancing at the beginning of the year, or taking a distribution to support my budget.

I don't believe anyone charges to reinvest as that happens during the distribution cycle; likely not necessarily having the information about brokerage charges. I also thought the price was the close-(distribution payout per share) so a small discount. Course who knows what the next day brings.

I generally reinvest unless I'm taking the money. As far as fractional shares, sometimes they grow up and become whole shares.;)

Do You Check the Price They Got For You?

I just happened to notice that Fidelity got me a better price on an ETF reinvestment than TD Ameritrade. It was less than 1% (0.82%), but that's not nothing!

The first thing I realized was that they appear to be on different days; Fidelity was on 12/26 and Ameritrade was on 12/27. Hmmm. Then I noticed that, according to the graph on Yahoo, Fidelity got me the deal at below market value (as reported there).

Does anybody worry about how good of a deal their broker is getting them on their dividend investments?

Seems like Fidelity would be bragging if they consistently did better that other brokers, so I'd have to guess that this is just a one-time thing.

Seems like something that would have some regulations around it, but I didn't research it at all. You can imagine how the market "knows" that a bunch of people are going to "have to" be buying, so maybe some kind of front running scheme. I'm not familiar enough with the mechanics to know.

Has anyone here done any analysis on this? It would be hard, because what's the likelihood that you have the same ETF in two different brokerage houses. In my case, it's my Roth and my HSA.

Attachments

• reinvestValuesFidelityDeal.jpg
    reinvestValuesFidelityDeal.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 30
Not retired, but I reinvest in all but one taxable account. That account contains a fund I don't want to invest further in, but also do not want to sell so as to incur a taxable event. I take the dividends from that account each quarter and deposit them in my other taxable account which builds my cash stash as I wait for a downturn.

...TD Ameritrade wait until the following day, adding more price uncertainty.
In a rising market, delays push the reinvestment price higher, so reinvestors buy fewer shares compared with what they could have gotten on the ex-date. Over the five years to Oct. 15, 2014, global equities rose 8.30 percent per year. On average, an eight-business-day delay would have translated to a 0.25 percent price rise.
With average dividend yields at 2.5 percent, an eight-day delay would have cost investors an average of 0.006 percent annually. For high-yielding funds like IST, REM and PEX, the impact would have been far higher—and that’s before

You see, brokerage firms are strictly bound to not manipulate securities prices, so they’re essentially price takers. Although Schwab, Etrade and TD Ameritrade “work” their DRIP orders, they have to demonstrate they’re not setting market prices. Vanguard and Scottrade simply use market orders—they pay the asking price.

Market Order + Opening Bell = Trouble
Thanks for the pointers to the articles.

For smaller positions, it's probably not enough money to worry about, but for larger positions, it might be worth the effort and commissions to enter your own order.

Back
Top Bottom