Join Early Retirement Today

Dividends
Old 10-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Dividends

The last four years I have been taking only the dividends from my taxable and leaving the dividends in my IRA to grow . Is this a smart move or would I be better off just having all my dividends going into my Money Market ? I use the dividends to pay living expenses and when I'm short I just sell some stock . Help me all you knowledgeable members .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The last four years I have been taking only the dividends from my taxable and leaving the dividends in my IRA to grow . Is this a smart move or would I be better off just having all my dividends going into my Money Market ? I use the dividends to pay living expenses and when I'm short I just sell some stock . Help me all you knowledgeable members .
You aren't yet old enough to take dividends from the IRA without the 10% penalty, are you?

Ha
Old 10-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

well dividends in a taxable account get the special income tax treatment - at least through this year. After this year, we'll just have to see what congress does to the tax code.

The IRA dividends - when you liquidate them get taxed at ordinary income tax rates.

So yes I believe that you are doing it correctly.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You aren't yet old enough to take dividends from the IRA without the 10% penalty, are you?

Ha
I'm 62 so I can take them I'm not sure if it is a smart thing to do . I still have a lot of losses to cover most of my gains when I sell stocks so maybe I just answered my own question.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #5

Ha, you are a real ladies man.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Ha, you are a real ladies man.
Take 20 points instead of the usual 10...
Old 10-23-2010, 03:46 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

IMO - It is all about managing taxes and minimizing the tax burden. There are often several routes that lead to the same tax burden. But there are usually trade-offs (other than taxes) related to a specific persons options on how to approach it. Often people have certain constraints the push them one way or the other.

Projecting the income stream and tax hit along the way is the only way I know of to do the tax analysis. The oft cited I-Orp help with some of the drudgery.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
IMO - It is all about managing taxes and minimizing the tax burden. There are often several routes that lead to the same tax burden. But there are usually trade-offs (other than taxes) related to a specific persons options on how to approach it. Often people have certain constraints the push them one way or the other.

Projecting the income stream and tax hit along the way is the only way I know of to do the tax analysis. The oft cited I-Orp help with some of the drudgery.
Thanks , I'm going to run both scenarios through TAX Act as see how each plays out .
Old 10-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #9

At 62 you can take any amount of out of an IRA/401k you please. The question of the dividend exclusion no longer effectivly applies.
One thing to look at is take the value of the Ira and figure out what the RMD would be at 70.5 (use the IRS mortality table) and assume some gain per year. With this figure out the required withdrawls. Consider that by age 70 you will also be getting SS and that likley the RMD's will make it taxable as well.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The last four years I have been taking only the dividends from my taxable and leaving the dividends in my IRA to grow . Is this a smart move or would I be better off just having all my dividends going into my Money Market ?
I'm trying to parse this. You can have an IRA money market account, if you like. Then the choice would be whether to put the dividends into an IRA money market fund or a non-IRA money market fund. IRA, I would think, but then I think IRAs are a great deal, generally speaking.