Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
There were a bunch of sh!theads marketing people
Hey I resemble those remarks!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post

Their expenses were getting out of line and that was a way to handle it. They oversold and/or underestimated customer demand and therefore underestimated profitability...
And they really missed an opportunity to acquire me as an infrequent viewer when they failed to have the video I looked for. Note to Netflix: say you have the video and get it from Amazon or where ever, you can call it what it is, a rare item that takes longer to deliver.

CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:25 AM   #43
Confused about dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Hello Fraser,

That is a good plan, and I second Audrey's comments.

You would probably be interested in reading the book Stop Working: Here's How You Can, by your fellow-Canadian Derek Foster [see generally Book Review: Stop Working: Here's How You Can]. Foster's strategy is very similar to the one that you describe. You can order the book from his website, but most libraries will have a copy.

Thanks Milton,
I'm familiar with Derek Foster's strategy and I've used much of it in designing up my plan. He was able to retire using a mix of Income trusts and Dividend stocks. Personally, income trusts don't grow enough for me and I figure I can expect greater growth than inflation with dividend stocks, thus my real cashflow "should" grow over time.
fraserrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Foster definitely relies on high-yielding income trusts to maximize income from a small investment portfolio. I agree with you that dividend stocks are a more prudent long-term approach.
"If at any times we must deal in extremes, then we prefer the quiet, good-natured hypocrite to the implacable, turbulent zealot of any kind. In plain terms, we are not so fond of any set of notions, as to think them more important than the peace of society". John Toland, The Description of Epsom (1711)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just ran my Yahoo stock screener for 10 billion or larger(too big to fail, ?maybe) and 4% minimum yield = 41 stocks came up.

Not that anyone thinks dividends are popular right now or anything.

heh heh heh - Right .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado
Over here in the UK many people rely on buying a decent portfolio (say 20/25 different stocks) yielding about 4%. Over here there is no tax to pay on dividends until you are earning over $80,000 (40,000 sterling). So if a share has a dividend yield of 4% thats exactly what you get.

Full diversification is possible as Oil (BP Shell), Pharma (glaxo), Media, Support Services, Retail, Property, Industrials, Telecoms (BT, Vodafone) all have recently had high quality mega caps yielding 4% and over.

All the studies over here tend to show high yield outperforms low yield in the long term. Motley Fool Uk has been running a High Yield portfolio for the last 7 years with great success in both increasing income and capital growth, in excess of inflation.

ashtondav is offline   Reply With Quote