Join Early Retirement Today

Do banks have ratings?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do banks have ratings?

Things like financial strength or security?
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Depositaccounts.com gives each bank a health grade based on capitalization, deposits and loan data.
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #3

Thanks!
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Midsize and larger banks typically have public ratings from Moody's, S&P and sometimes Fitch.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:16 AM   #5

I prefer credit union to banks. Bank objective (maximize profits/shareholder value) can only be achieved through expense of customers. Lately, WF comes to mind. After the Great Depression, bank size was limited/regulated. I believe(?) this was undone in the seventies. We now live with "too big to fail."

When someone tells me how honest, ethical, religious, etc they are, I have to wonder what motivates them to make such a claim. Again, WF comes to mind. If you have to tell me, I have serious doubt. YMMV.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:02 AM   #6

another one is bankrate.com
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I recently ran across an outfit called Bauer Financial that issues ratings for banks and credit unions. Is anyone familiar with them? How are they different from the others?
Old 01-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I recently ran across an outfit called Bauer Financial that issues ratings for banks and credit unions. Is anyone familiar with them? How are they different from the others?
Old 01-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish bankrate ratings were based on things like low fees, high rates and good service.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
I wish bankrate ratings were based on things like low fees, high rates and good service.

I'm looking for the health of the bank to avoid running long term CDs through the FDIC process, so bankrate does just fine by me. The OP was looking for strength and security of the institution.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote