Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I would love to be a cord cutter, but can't find a way to make it work without giving up a lot of stuff.

I have 1 cable company available to me. We got an OTA TV antenna and the reception was terrible. We might get slight better with an attic antenna, but I still wouldn't get the shows I really want. I know I can subscribe to various channels through things like Sling TV, but you can't record shows.

Things I keep going round and round on:

1. We have Comcast triple play. When the 1 year teaser was up, it went up $55 a month! We can bring it down $15 or $20 a month, but it requires a 2 year commitment. We may end up doing that.

2. OK. We could go get Dish TV and TV would be a little less. But we would still have internet through Comcast and the cost of internet would now by $80 a month (plus buying or renting modem). And, we might not be able to get the best speed. So, it doesn't really save any money.

3. OK. Cut the cord and get something like Sling TV and get a Roku and just stream stuff. That is a lot cheaper. Well, wait our internet still goes up. And, if Comcast starts enforcing streaming limits we are hosed. Sigh. And, I like to DVR shows and watch them while I'm on the treadmill or exercise bike. Can't do that with Sling TV. For streaming Netflix, that is fine. But I like putting some HGTV shows on DVR and watching them while exercising. I have to give that up if I go this route.

4. Hmm...Cut the cord and get an OTA TV. I don't have to stream quite as much so maybe I don't have to worry about Comcast. I have a to pay extra to get an attic antenna since we don't get good service here otherwise. And, there are all sorts of shows I can't get doing this. Sigh.

We've been trying to decide on this for a few months now. I hate paying $240 a month for the triple play (especially since I don't use the phone part at all). And I watch only a few of the channels, but I have to get the triple play to get the Cloud DVR. And, I like the Cloud DVR. I like being able to watch TV on my computer. Every other option makes me give up stuff that I don't want to give up (like being able to DVR shows I want to DVR).
We are similarly situated and will be facing this issue in mid-2016 when our Dish contract runs out. We have less OTA than you... zilch. One cable company available is expensive, especially with a DVR and 4 tvs.

I may look at using the cable tv or Dish just to get my locals and go internet for everything other than locals, but I'm not sure if it would be less in the long run.

Do you have access to a cheaper internet provider? Around here we have cable, DSL or satellite but they all cost about the same ($50-$75/month).

The other thing changing would do is we would have to change our email addresses since our email is currently through out DSL provider... can be done, but will be a bit of a hassle.

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 02:12 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 on the HD HomeRun digital recorder. I have a Mohu Leaf antenna that is taped on to an upstairs window where it gets great reception. The Mohu is a small flat plastic sheet. The Mohu out goes in to the HD HomeRun. The HD HomeRun plugs in to the router via an ethernet port so it is available to any device on the WiFi network. I DVR on my Mac using EyeTV. Mohu + HDHomeRun + EyeTV cost me $235.

I bought this setup after Verizon started throttling streaming from Aereo, which was excellent, cheap, convenient cloud OTA and DVR. Aereo later got ruled illegal and died.

I mostly watch TV on a second monitor mounted next to my Mac. I find the OTA programming through a free TitanTV account. You can customize the listings to just the OTA channels you get and it has a record button on listings that sets up the recording in EyeTV when you click it.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:20 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
So about $575 with tax.
For $648.99, you can get a TiVo Roamio (OTA-only) with lifetime service, and you'll have a fully-baked, consumer-oriented (i.e., "don't make me think") solution, which doubles as a streaming box too. It's an alternative for folks (like me) who find the whole idea of building and supporting my own DVR to be more work than I want to do.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:20 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

I've never been big on recording programs. I can see the benefit in FF through commercials, but just never got into it. Glad it was not a factor in my cord cutting. OTA channels and Sling.....Im good.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:30 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I've never been big on recording programs. I can see the benefit in FF through commercials, but just never got into it. Glad it was not a factor in my cord cutting. OTA channels and Sling.....Im good.
I'm constantly recording. But like you said, mainly to FF past commercials. Every weekday morning, I tape the national news which, well, is too early for me (7-9am). Plus, the program probably contains about an hour of total commercials and local news that I skip over.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
For $648.99, you can get a TiVo Roamio (OTA-only) with lifetime service, and you'll have a fully-baked, consumer-oriented (i.e., "don't make me think") solution, which doubles as a streaming box too. It's an alternative for folks (like me) who find the whole idea of building and supporting my own DVR to be more work than I want to do.
It was $300 recently for a Roamio OTA at Amazon with lifetime service. I wouldn't pay more than that but it is a great box.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
It was $300 recently for a Roamio OTA at Amazon with lifetime service. I wouldn't pay more than that but it is a great box.
I doubt you'll see a deal like that again anytime soon. The lifetime service, alone, usually costs more than that. To get lifetime service and the device is one of those amazingly lucky occurrences that waiting for will as likely as not lead to disappointment.

Having said that, that Roamio OTA with lifetime service costs $439.99 at Amazon.com instead of $648.99 retail.