Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Do Financial Experts Make Better Decisions Than the Rest of Us?
Old 10-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Do Financial Experts Make Better Decisions Than the Rest of Us?

Not necessarily, reports Atlantic Monthly. (At least in Sweden.)

Do Financial Experts Make Better Decisions Than the Rest of Us? - The Atlantic

"A new study spells more bad news for mutual-fund managers. It looks at 84 mutual-fund managers in Sweden and how they do when it comes to their own finances. This is the first study to look directly at fund managers' stock portfolios, real-estate ownership, total wealth, and personality in order to study whether extensive knowledge and day-to-day interaction with the stock market improves one's personal wealth.

The results were striking: The researchers found no evidence that these financial experts make better investments than peers of similar age, income, and education background—casting doubt on how much value is added by so-called expertise."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #2

No surprises there.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's why they need to bleed off 1% or more off from your portfolio.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No different than when you see a doctor who is significantly overweight and smoking.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
No different than when you see a doctor who is significantly overweight and smoking.
... which is rare I think. I have seen more smoking nurses, but they are not overweight. The overweight ones tend to be non-smokers.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:39 PM   #6

I do not consider mutual fund managers to be financial experts, just financial professionals.

Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger are financial experts.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:46 AM   #7

Financial experts are people who can finance not working.

Full stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm a retired actuary and I do think that the things I learned about compound interest really stuck with me and emphasized the power of compounding, why it was important to save early, etc. I was also able to construct a pretty straightforward Excel spreadsheet with variable assumptions about rates of return and inflation that served as a guide the last 10 years before I retired. It wasn't as fancy as the on-line calculators but I knew exactly what the assumptions (explicit and implicit) were. I have a similar one now that I'm retired to project cash flow and withdrawal rates.

It's not a guarantee, of course. I know one actuary who retired to engage in day-trading and ended up going back to work PT. Another was profiled in a NY Times article at the worst part of the financial crisis: he'd retired after all his fancy models showed it would be OK and then after the markets plummeted he decided to go look for work again. The people on the actuarial Board I frequent weren't very nice in their comments about him.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote