Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Mountain View Post
8. Not a big vacationer as I traveled much during my working years on someone else's dime.........
Traveling for work is not vacationing. You might want to try it during your remaining 30 or 40 or 50 years left on this planet. Just sayin.

Good luck! It looks like you're at least financially set enough to throw away that white collar and try something new and exciting. Have fun!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Mountain View Post
Eventually, I will sell home and move into a condominium which should reduce expenses/taxes, etc...
Are you moving because you want to - or because you need to?

I've been retired four years and I have no desires to move, nor lessen my lifestyle (home, travel, etc.) from what I spent for many years while still wor*ing.

I'm not saying you are wrong in your assumptions, but as one who has been/is there, I know I would not want to give up anything to retire.

Just my opinion...

Old 03-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Your post was extremely interesting to me because our situations are almost exact except that I am 46 and about 50% of investable assets are in a 401k outside of Vanguard. I am running the same type of numbers and it really depends on where you live and what expenses are going to be. I moved to Mexico 2 yrs ago but I still working, selling software into Latin America. Sounds like fun but it's hard work and I am planning on retiring next yr. I can tell you that 35k would go a long way in another country. Property taxes are about $ $75 -100 per 100k in value/ yr.,medical much, much less and so on. Being from Boston, that 35k over there wouldn't get you so far. Pay close attention to what your future spending will look like. For me, the biggest expense will be travel costs but for you it could be property taxes. Run those numbers as honestly as you can, over and over. You are probably getting nervous and thinking, just one more yr, but you could do that forever.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #44
Confused about dryer sheets

agree

I agree with every one about 1 million not going very far. Have you looked into annuities or things of that nature.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnostrus View Post
I agree with every one about 1 million not going very far. Have you looked into annuities or things of that nature.
Do you have idea where a person could buy an annuity?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

You don't know where to buy an annuity?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
You don't know where to buy an annuity?
Sometimes new members who suggest an annuity in their very first post to the boards are eager to also tell us where we can buy them (I'm not saying rnostrus is that type of new member--welcome to the boards, RN! When you're ready, feel free to introduce yourself on our "Hi I Am..." boards).
Old 03-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetirewithPhil View Post
> >>> Your assumption of only tapping into 4% of your investible assets is spot-on! Keep on saving and investing, you're on the road toward achieving your goal!
So Phil, you are clearly a genial guy with some knowledge and a desire to help your fellow man and woman, how about letting know something of your current employment?

Ordinarily we prefer an introduction, especially when a new guy starts ladling out the advice in post #1.

Ha
Old 03-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #49

ok i introduced myself. I was just answering a question. Sorry if I offended anybody. I thought a reply was suppose to be helpful. But anyway any financial consultant could help you with that annuity and I would research your options before deciding.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
Troll Alert!

Use only as directed....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg troll spray.jpg (7.5 KB, 115 views)
Old 03-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #51

luv it. that is hilarious.