Join Early Retirement Today

Do I need a trust / will
Old 05-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Do I need a trust / will

I have my money in bank, lending club and vanguard all of which are joint accounts. Do I need to write a trust / will? Or will the money safely go to my wife incase of my death

- Sam
firenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Each state is different....

Do you have kids?

It is easy to draft a will that would work in your state (probably).... just do an internet one and leave everything to spouse...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by masceratian View Post
I have my money in bank, lending club and vanguard all of which are joint accounts. Do I need to write a trust / will? Or will the money safely go to my wife incase of my death

- Sam

That's pretty close to my situation. I'm her beneficiary, she's mine, we're co-owners of everything, no kids, no dependents. No problem, right?

But what happens if, fortune forfend, we're both in a terrible car accident?

So we're putting together a list of heirs right now, and hope to sit down with a lawyer in a couple weeks.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

yes I have two kids 7 and 3. I live in california. When you say internet one, you mean like an email or something else
Old 05-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
yes I have two kids 7 and 3. I live in california. When you say internet one, you mean like an email or something else

There are online services that will draft a general purpose will. Cheap, but I can't recommend it. This is one of those times when you want a pro.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Definitely recommend an estate planning attorney. Not that expensive and totally worth the cost since you have children.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:04 PM   #7

Quote:
yes I have two kids 7 and 3.
I am guilty of not having a will. I did not have a will while raising two kids. Thankfully nothing happened, however, the only sound advice is to have one and to have one drawn up with professional advice. Anything else is bad advice in my opinion.

Without a document, who gets the kids if you and DW both die at the same time? What money will be there for their guardian to use and what direction is there for that money? College fund?

On the plus side, if it's ever needed, you'll be gone so it won't be your problem. My guess is, that's not how you operate. There's probably sound ways to save money, but spend what you need to and get a will or trust.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcap View Post
There are online services that will draft a general purpose will. Cheap, but I can't recommend it. This is one of those times when you want a pro.
But using something like this (some form of standard will) will help you get your thoughts together and save you time at the attorney's office. Time there is certainly money.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Be aware that attorney's fees for seeing a will through probate can be expensive.

If your estate is worth, for example, $1 Million, fees will be around $15K. Not to mention that probate processes can be slow, onerous and complex, especially if there are children from a previous marriage, or ex-spouses.

A living trust together with HealthCare and Financial POAs would cost in the region of $4-$8K, which is definitely less expensive than probate.

I am in California.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Assuming my wife and I don't die at the same time and that I have joint accounts for my bank and investing accounts, do I still need a will?
Old 05-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Assuming my wife and I don't die at the same time
Nope. But now you're just being silly.

If you've figured out how to have knowledge of when our how you're going to die, please let me in on it. I'm trying to figure out when to take SS and if I knew when my wife and I would die, well, that would make things so much easier.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

- Sam
Do you have named beneficiaries for all your retirement accounts .. Also look into a Transfer on death for your bank account ..
jzajzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Assuming my wife and I don't die at the same time and that I have joint accounts for my bank and investing accounts, do I still need a will?
As pointed out above assume you survive your wife, where would your estate go, in particular it sounds like with no children, and assuming your parents are deceased it would go to aunts and uncles and any offspring they might have.
essentially the intestate law walks outwards on the family tree till someone is found.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The answer to that very specific question is I don't think so. Your wife should get those assets since she is named on the joint account. If all the rest of your property is community property, she should get all of that as well. If any of your belongings is considered separate property by California, then some if it will go to the kids.
Intestate Succession in California | Nolo.com

The more critical question is what happens if you and your wife are going out to a party and a drunk driver crashes into you and you both are killed. You have two young kids. A will would identify your wishes on what happens to them and how your money is used to support their future.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:34 PM   #15

Probably. When DW passed I just kept working from the joint accounts. We found a small insurance policy on the Comptroller's website and they split it between me and our daughters.

I finally had a will Healthcare Proxy and Financial POA all done by an Estate Atty. last year. It was only $535
Old 05-25-2017, 05:14 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

We are guilty of not having a "current" will. No Kids, No Dependents, No Separate Accounts, IRA'a all have Beneficiaries as each other, No worries. honestly ALL I care about is DW getting the stash when I Kark it, and Visa Versa. honestly when we are both dead we do not really care as by stash standards these < $5m is no fortune.

Maybe a one liner, "If we both die together, please sell everything and give it all to the folks that train Dogs for the Blind".
Old 05-25-2017, 05:43 AM   #17

My FIL had a will but when he died my MIL never submitted it to probate as all their assets were titled appropriately and transferred over without any issue. I was under the assumption that if you had a will it had to be used but have been told that there's no need to use an existing will unless it is really needed. Not sure who would be eligible to decide if a will should be probated or not.

We recently needed a copy of the will on a completely unrelated issue and I had to explain to the court records secretary that the will was filed but never probated. From her comments it sounds like this is not uncommon.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:11 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Nope. But now you're just being silly.

If you've figured out how to have knowledge of when our how you're going to die, please let me in on it. I'm trying to figure out when to take SS and if I knew when my wife and I would die, well, that would make things so much easier.
+1. And I have a stronger word than silly.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:20 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
My FIL had a will but when he died my MIL never submitted it to probate as all their assets were titled appropriately and transferred over without any issue. I was under the assumption that if you had a will it had to be used but have been told that there's no need to use an existing will unless it is really needed. Not sure who would be eligible to decide if a will should be probated or not.

We recently needed a copy of the will on a completely unrelated issue and I had to explain to the court records secretary that the will was filed but never probated. From her comments it sounds like this is not uncommon.
DH had a will but his actual assets were about zero. Nearly everything was in my name or a trust of which I was the sole trustee, with appropriate provisions for DH if he outlived me. Knowing he was terminally ill, we even transferred both cars to my name. He died last November and I saw no reason to go through probate. It took awhile, but Bank of America eventually gave me the $128 in his checking account!

But, in the OP's case, with kids- absolutely they need wills. My first husband and I did ours using software when DS was little. I knew I'd never get him to a lawyer so at least we had something straightforward that made provision for DS if we died at the same time. You do need to have it witnessed or notarized (this varies by state) by people who are NOT beneficiaries.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:34 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I've got a living trust with a back up will in that my net worth was over the estate tax threshold for my state (not federal). I also wanted to leave money to specific charities and people, not leave everything to my brother (only living family member). Setting up the trust was a bit of a pain in the butt to get all accounts registered with it, but will be much easier for my executor after my death and may avoid probate. It's a financially smart thing to do to handle your estate (properties, possessions, and accounts). Cost of doing this was still relatively low compared to what it would cost in legal fees after my death without one.
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote